Captain
# 11
03-23-2013, 03:47 PM
I wanted a Romulan faction. But not some peace loving democratic voting republic founding bunny chasing beatnik romulans flying around in TOS and ENT era Birds of Prey, wearing jackets and not quilts with shoulderpads like all proper Romulans wear.

I'm leery. Very leery.
Captain
# 12
03-23-2013, 03:51 PM
I seem to recall a poll back in the day actually placing the Borg as the number one most wanted faction...I guess getting Denise Crosby changed that ;-)
Career Officer
# 13
03-23-2013, 03:51 PM
I REALLY wanted a Romulan Faction...

...You know, after all the other s*** in the game got fixed first...
@HyperLimited - Join Date: Oct 2009 - My Youtube Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinn74 View Post
Maybe if the expansion was as great as they claim, people wouldn't be anywhere near Japori. Just sayin'.
Career Officer
# 14
03-23-2013, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobar26th View Post
I seem to recall a poll back in the day actually placing the Borg as the number one most wanted faction...I guess getting Denise Crosby changed that ;-)
Unless you're actually playing as the Borg Queen, gameplay as the Borg would not work at all.
It would basically be:

"Three of Twelve. Report to Subsection B of Tertiary Adjunct 325 in Unimatrix Five. Scrub conduit AB2 for the next 10 standard years. Resistance is futile."

I can only assume people who voted for the Borg were either ignorant of this, thought every player would get to be a Borg Queen, or was trolling.
Whatever the case, there's not much reason to take them seriously.
Lieutenant
# 15
03-23-2013, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpingjs View Post
What about you?
Quite a few wanted playable Romulans over new content, apparently. Here's the poll that sealed the deal:
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=379951

The gorilla formerly known as Kolikos
Ensign
# 16
03-23-2013, 04:06 PM
As nifty as any new faction can be...I would infinitely rather have new content and features added to the existing factions. Otherwise we just get 3 incomplete factions instead of 2.

I will come back, of course and try out the new faction, but I have been bored with STO for over a year, for lack of:

1. a working crafting system - I think most people would agree it's not very compelling.
2. a far more involved exploration system.
3. an expanded, deeper, richer diplomatic mission system.
4. better integration of the Foundry into the core game - the Foundry is great, and will become even more so with the merging of the features from Neverwinter, but it still feels like an add-on to the game, and not really a part of it.
5. the full realization of the starship interiors - this, in addition to the Foundry system, is one of several features that I think really sets STO apart. There are a LOT of sandbox builder type players (myself included) that would be absolutely sucked into STO if it had a fully customizable and functional starship interior system. Starship interiors were introduced 2 years and 2 months ago, yet little has been done to realize their massive potential since then.
6. bug fixes - there are still bugs that are lingering since launch, such as bridge officers not sitting properly in chairs - I was showing a friend my bridge recently who had never seen STO, and felt embarrassed that he saw my BO's butts floating 12 inches above their seats and their hands typing in mid-air.
7. Bridge Officer system - we can assign BO's to the First Officer and Department Head positions via the Duty Officer system, but this has no effect outside of the DO system.

This list doesn't even touch on the Klingon-specific issues, and I am sure others can add extensively to this list.
Career Officer
# 17
03-23-2013, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealted View Post
Quite a few wanted playable Romulans over new content, apparently. Here's the poll that sealed the deal:
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=379951
I love that poll
swimwear off risa not fixed
system Lord Baal is dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
Lieutenant
# 18
03-23-2013, 04:22 PM
Not a great deal excited. But it sets the stage for some interesting developments in the future, with some end point being a territorial control game. They're attempting to reinforce the foundation of the game they want this to become.
Captain
# 19
03-23-2013, 04:25 PM
In my mind it seems like the four obvious normal factions are Federation, Klingon, Romulan, and Dominion. Maybe a Borg pay-to-play/veteran faction some day long from now.

I definitely wanted Romulans. Star Trek is not complete to me without Romulans involved somehow. And I eagerly await May to see where it's all going.
--------------------------------------

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
Captain
# 20
03-23-2013, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
I wanted a Romulan faction. But not some peace loving democratic voting republic founding bunny chasing beatnik romulans flying around in TOS and ENT era Birds of Prey, wearing jackets and not quilts with shoulderpads like all proper Romulans wear.

I'm leery. Very leery.
This is exactly how I feel. If they don't have the romulan government, don't have Romulan ambitions, and can't even dress like Romulans, are they really 'The' Romulan faction. What has been shown off so far leads me to believe that the Romulan Republic couldn't be more removed from the iconic Romulans from the show, and even from many of the episodes in STO itself. Very leery.