Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,490
# 131
03-23-2013, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
I am not sure I want to know what you mean by 'shaved'. Could not disagree you with more though. Who wants a loud / smelly Klingon zoo animal. Besides, and be honest about this, who is hotter:

B'elanna Torres, K'Ehleyr

or

Commander Donatra, TOS Female Romulan Commander


----------------------------------

Vulcan / Romulans women >> all ...

/thread
Depends whom you're asking, Worf or Hakeev?

And if you want to TOS-it, then you should mention Mara in the equation. Because TOS was TOS!

Unless you want me to start comparing TOS Female Klingon Officer with DS9 Romulan.
Show your support for the Revamped Galaxy Class Exploration Cruiser here!
Commander
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 355
# 132
03-23-2013, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizwei View Post
And since in the world of Star Trek you can't make replicators go away, you don't get to have refugees in rags any more than you get to have a spacefaring society that's suffering a drought. It's that simple. So long as you have access to one working starship with one working replicator (again, micro-singularity), you can feed and clothe your people indefinitely.
Obviously they do, because they did. And it's a better story for it. Who would care about refugees that want for nothing because a magic box makes everything for them? Again, the story is the most important thing, and this particular story is about refugees in need of aid.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 579
# 133
03-23-2013, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkelfofficer View Post
Obviously they do, because they did. And it's a better story for it. Who would care about refugees that want for nothing because a magic box makes everything for them? Again, the story is the most important thing, and this particular story is about refugees in need of aid.
So a refugee is only worth caring about if they're starving and barely clothed?
You're limited by a lack of imagination. That's unfortunate for you, but don't say this is a better story for it, it's incredibly stupid.
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 873
# 134
03-23-2013, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkelfofficer View Post
Story trumps replicators. Every time.
That's a ridiculous notion. Not even Romulan civilian clothing from the shows looked like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkelfofficer View Post
From what has been made available so far, it is. They have the same character design and the same color palette. What you're whining about is that they don't look exactly the same. And that's just stupid.
Have you even looked at the teaser page? The character design, particularly the clothing, is way different. There were plenty of variants of on the Romulan Uniform, and none of them looked like that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by darkelfofficer View Post
Are they? Pretty much every, if not every, Romulan civilian seen in the shows lives in abject terror of the government. Even the military is shown to not like the Tal Shiar very much. And if there's one thing Star Trek has consistently stumped across all its incarnations, it's that people do not like being oppressed.
The Tal'Shiar and the RSE are not the same thing, obviously. Sela, the head of the RSE, has an antagonistic relationship with them within the context of STO. We could easily have kept the Tal'Shiar as antagonists and still have played as RSE Rommulans.

As for folks not liking being oppressed...how many civil wars have there been in Star Trek against oppressive regimes by their populace. The Bajorans rebelled against military occupiers, ditto for the cardassians. Where is the Klingon uprising, or the Kazon? etc. There are plenty of oppressive regimes in Star Trek that do not have revolts that overthrow their governments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkelfofficer View Post
"Star Trek Online, often abbreviated as STO, is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) developed by Cryptic Studios based on the popular Star Trek series created by Gene Roddenberry." - Wikipedia (emphasis mine).
You obviously do not understand the difference between a MMORPG and an RPG.


Quote:
Originally Posted by darkelfofficer View Post
A culture is not defined by strict, universal adherence to one particular form of government and haircut. What's important about Romulans is that they are Vulcans who rejected logic in favor of emotion. Opposing the monarchy didn't make Victor Hugo any less French.
The paranoia, xenophobia, ambition, arrogance, and imperialistic tendancies of the RSE were Romulan cultural traits however. And this new faction is moving far, far away from that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkelfofficer View Post
Not even remotely. They're still Romulans, they're still active in the galaxy, and it's a logical progression of the story from the moment Romulus was destroyed. Once again, it would be great to have the option to support the Tal Shiar instead, but factions-within-factions just isn't viable for this game, or any MMORPG really.

So you understand the difference between rpgs and mmorpgs, apparently. What was even your point with that hair-splitting over definitions earleir then?

If factions within factions are not viable within the context of an MMO, than why are we getting stuck with one of one of these 'factions-within-factions' by default and as our only choice?

Cryptic are makign Romulans into Romulans in-species-only. They don't act like romulans, dress like romulans, or even hold the same cultural ideals. They are Romulans in the same sense as the reunificationists were romulans, but at heart, they have nothing 'romulan' in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkelfofficer View Post
That sure is some nice conjecture-presented-as-fact. Nobody but Cryptic currently knows what will happen to the Empire come May. And you know what? Even if the Empire is completely replaced (which I very much doubt), that doesn't make it "worse" or "bad". The writing may be bad and/or there may be other problems with the execution, but the concept is fine. In fact, it's far more interesting than "grr, we're all evil Imperialists with the same horrible haircut, let's go do evil stuff, because Empire."
The concept? I have no problem with the concept of speratist Romulans. There is a precedent for some Romulans chaffing under the rule of the RSE. I take issue with them taking that concept and making it the only option for Romulan players. If I wanted to play a Romulan seperatist, do you know what I'd do? I'd buy a hypothetical 'Playable KDF/Federation Romulan' package from the Zen store, or use the 'alien species option' and make a Romulan for another faction.


Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
I am not sure I want to know what you mean by 'shaved'. Could not disagree you with more though. Who wants a loud / smelly Klingon zoo animal. Besides, and be honest about this, who is hotter:

B'elanna Torres, K'Ehleyr

or

Commander Donatra, TOS Female Romulan Commander


----------------------------------

Vulcan / Romulans women >> all ...

/thread
I prefer Donatra over the other three.
Commander
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 355
# 135
03-23-2013, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by catoblepasbeta View Post
The paranoia, xenophobia, ambition, arrogance, and imperialistic tendancies of the RSE were Romulan cultural traits however. And this new faction is moving far, far away from that.
No, those were shown to be the traits of the Romulans in charge of the government and Tal Shiar, and not even there were those characteristics universal. Once again, civilians and even military officers were shown to be, GASP, individuals with individual thoughts and ideas.

Yes, they were all paranoid, but as a result of living in a society where they were constantly under surveillance from their own government and dissent was not tolerated.


Quote:
Cryptic are makign Romulans into Romulans in-species-only. They don't act like romulans, dress like romulans, or even hold the same cultural ideals. They are Romulans in the same sense as the reunificationists were romulans, but at heart, they have nothing 'romulan' in them.
Bollocks. First of all, you're once again making baseless assumptions of how the new faction is written. Second of all, you're basically whining that they are deviating from the Romulans being Always Chaotic Evil; that a Romulan that isn't evil isn't a Romulan. That's just stupid.

(Although interestingly, that entry specifically points out the Romulans as subverting that trope: " Even though they are The Federation's oldest and most persistent foe, most Romulan characters are depicted as being nuanced, sympathetic, and extremely honourable, even if they are a little arrogant or deceptive. Even the unambiguously villainous ones like Tomalak are depicted more as a Worthy Opponent than anything else. Interestingly, probably the most evil Romulan in canon, Commander Sela, is a Half-Human Hybrid." I don't necessarily agree with that entirely, but it sure shows that not everybody thinks Romulans have been portrayed as you seem to perceive.)

Quote:
The concept? I have no problem with the concept of speratist Romulans. There is a precedent for some Romulans chaffing under the rule of the RSE. I take issue with them taking that concept and making it the only option for Romulan players. If I wanted to play a Romulan seperatist, do you know what I'd do? I'd buy a hypothetical 'Playable KDF/Federation Romulan' package from the Zen store, or use the 'alien species option' and make a Romulan for another faction.
Then don't play them. You won't be missed. I just don't want your "whaaaaa they have different clothes and hair and they're not all evil" whining to make the Devs think they've done something wrong and backtrack on what could be the most interesting development the Romulans have had since first being introduced in the '60s.


p.s. Arguing that Klingons haven't revolted so Romulans must not be restive enough to revolt goes beyond stupid into absurdly stupid.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:16 PM.