Captain
# 61
03-23-2013, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizwei View Post
But there's one thing the Star Empire always was, from the Praetor to the lowest ranked soldier - proud.
Pride goes before a fall. Or in STO's case, a Supernova. Hah! I made a funny! At the expense of the long ago destroyed Romulan homeworld! I'm clever.
Captain
# 62
03-23-2013, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by catoblepasbeta View Post
Have you ever heard of 'monoculturalism'? The Romulans have always been a insular, xeophobic entity resistant to outside change or influence. The RSE is a mono-cultural entity. They could not be moreso unless they were the Borg or Dominion.

Yes, there have been dissidents from time to time, but the RSE, being a controlling monocultural entity, mixes with that sort of thing like oil and water. Hence, Romulans with different culture are not 'Romulan' in culture, only in species.
The RSE isn't what's being released in May though. The RSE has been supernova'd, splintered, assimilated, iconianed, and slowly decayed by Epohh bunny cuteness.

Long live the REPUBLIC!
Commander
# 63
03-23-2013, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Have you ever heard of 'monoculturalism'? The Romulans have always been a insular, xeophobic entity resistant to outside change or influence. The RSE is a mono-cultural entity. They could not be moreso unless they were the Borg or Dominion.

Yes, there have been dissidents from time to time, but the RSE, being a controlling monocultural entity, mixes with that sort of thing like oil and water. Hence, Romulans with different culture are not 'Romulan' in culture, only in species.

"I regret that we meet in this way. You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend." -Romulan Commander to Kirk, Balance of Terror

--

" Counselor Deanna Troi: [as Major Rakal] We ensure the loyalty of the people. Do you believe the Empire would be better off without our protection?

Commander Toreth: Protection? From what? How was the Empire threatened by the words of an old man? A devoted citizen who merely tried to speak his mind? How did the Tal Shiar protect the Empire by dragging him, my father, out of his home in the middle of the night?

Counselor Deanna Troi: [as Major Rakal] Clearly your father was a traitor.

Commander Toreth: No. He was just an idealistic old man. I never saw him again."
-Face of the Enemy

--

"Admiral Jarok: There comes a time in a man's life that you cannot know. When he looks down at the first smile of his baby girl and realizes, he must change the world for her - for all children. It is for her that I am here. Not to destroy the Romulan Empire, but to save it. For months, I tried desperately to persuade the High Command that another war would destroy the Empire. They got tired of my arguments. Finally, I was censured, sent off to command some distant sector. *This* was my only recourse. I... will never see my child smile again. She will grow up believing that her father is a traitor. But she will grow up - if you act, Picard. If we stop this war before it begins."
-The Defector

Last edited by darkelfofficer; 03-23-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Captain
# 64
03-23-2013, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
The RSE isn't what's being released in May though. The RSE has been supernova'd, splintered, assimilated, iconianed, and slowly decayed by Epohh bunny cuteness.

Long live the REPUBLIC!
hence my complaints. We should havve the RSE, not the RR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkelfofficer View Post
"I regret that we meet in this way. You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend." -Romulan Commander to Kirk, Balance of Terror

--

" Counselor Deanna Troi: [as Major Rakal] We ensure the loyalty of the people. Do you believe the Empire would be better off without our protection?

Commander Toreth: Protection? From what? How was the Empire threatened by the words of an old man? A devoted citizen who merely tried to speak his mind? How did the Tal Shiar protect the Empire by dragging him, my father, out of his home in the middle of the night?

Counselor Deanna Troi: [as Major Rakal] Clearly your father was a traitor.

Commander Toreth: No. He was just an idealistic old man. I never saw him again."

-Face of the Enemy
yes, we are all well aware by now about your fixation on the 'honerable' Romulans of TOS, but they changed into something far more devious a long time ago.

As for the second instance, now you understand perhaps how the Romulans inforce their monoculture? The RSE is an empire with a culture of fear, ambition, arrogance, cutthroat politics etc. It has never really been as idealistic a place to live as the Federation because of this, but this has nontheless served to add flavor to the faction. Take that away, and you take away one of the things that set the Romulans outside of the other species and empries in ST.

As for the defector. Did you notice that his goal was not to bring down the RSE, that he did not hate the RSE, he loved it and did not want to see it start a war that would destroy it. That' all.

Last edited by catoblepasbeta; 03-23-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Captain
# 65
03-23-2013, 07:15 PM
I think Unification has had a much larger impact on the Romulan people than you're giving it credit for. But we'll find out for sure in May.
Career Officer
# 66
03-23-2013, 07:21 PM
A few points about the honorable Romulans mentioned so far.

NotSarek - He saw Kirk as a worthy adversary and reflection of himself. As Kirk did him. He however followed his duty to the letter and did exactly what his superiors asked of him, even if it meant triggering a war he didn't want to see.

Toreth - While she clearly despised the Tal'Shiar, she was still a loyal, upstanding Romulan and didn't hesitate to have her XO gunned down the moment he displayed treasonous behaviour.

Jarok - As was said all he wanted was to avoid a war, having many similar traits to NotSarek. He ultimately commited suicide because he couldn't bear to be away from his family and home, obviously he thought the Star Empire was a worthy home worth protecting.
Captain
# 67
03-23-2013, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
I think Unification has had a much larger impact on the Romulan people than you're giving it credit for. But we'll find out for sure in May.
I'm sure it had a big impact. but at its core, it was a non-mainstream underground movement that idolized a foreign culture and philospophy. A small portion of the populace (just look at how few troops the transports were carrying for the invasion for a figure on their numbers) I don't think they died out, and they may have even grown in number. However, their existance does not exlude the much larger population of the RSE who were not reunificationists, who by all reason should have been the focus of a faction, not a dissident movement.
Career Officer
# 68
03-23-2013, 07:30 PM
Quote:
Doesn't the existence of a Reunificationist movement deny that conclusion?
Career Officer
# 69
03-23-2013, 07:34 PM
did not most of that movement get killed by sela and her men?
swimwear off risa not fixed
system Lord Baal is dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
Commander
# 70
03-23-2013, 07:35 PM
For me i really wanted it to happen but never said anything
about it, because i thought it was never going to happen.

the devs always love saying "no", "no its impossible", "no its not profitable"
thanks for proving me wrong. cant wait for it...

now just get them to work on ground combat to compete with
some of these other fps mmo games like swtor.
but thats just wishful thinking.