Captain
# 221
03-24-2013, 12:25 PM
@ khayuung - I wondered what the twist would be at the end and ... WOW ... I demand more on this topic
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Career Officer
# 222
03-24-2013, 01:29 PM
Yeah about those names.

Basically I copied Ssharki and his entire crew from a pirate story I'd started writing years ago and abandoned. Most of the names I was able to import pretty easily with some minor modifications (Captain Sharkey became Ssharki, Trevayne became Tr'vayn, etc.) but when it came to Sweetums and Calvin I got stuck. So I gave those names to the two youngest Gorn.

Sweetums is sort of a joke name given to him by the crew because it describes the exact opposite of his personality - except for when he's dealing with his little brother. His real name is unpronounceable.

Calvin might be the most the most complicated character I've ever written. Obviously he's a boy genius, but he's also much tougher than Ssharki and the other Gorn give him credit for. I.hope I'll have an opportunity to develop him further, because that kid is just chock-full of fascinating contradictions.

The great thing about writing for the Gorn is that they're almost a blank slate. They've been so underdeveloped in canon and even soft canon that I'm left with a lot of room to take creative license.

"Freedom is just a pretty idea unless it's backed by Force."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Captain
# 223
03-24-2013, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post
Yeah about those names.

Basically I copied Ssharki and his entire crew from a pirate story I'd started writing years ago and abandoned. Most of the names I was able to import pretty easily with some minor modifications (Captain Sharkey became Ssharki, Trevayne became Tr'vayn, etc.) but when it came to Sweetums and Calvin I got stuck. So I gave those names to the two youngest Gorn.

Sweetums is sort of a joke name given to him by the crew because it describes the exact opposite of his personality - except for when he's dealing with his little brother. His real name is unpronounceable.

Calvin might be the most the most complicated character I've ever written. Obviously he's a boy genius, but he's also much tougher than Ssharki and the other Gorn give him credit for. I.hope I'll have an opportunity to develop him further, because that kid is just chock-full of fascinating contradictions.

The great thing about writing for the Gorn is that they're almost a blank slate. They've been so underdeveloped in canon and even soft canon that I'm left with a lot of room to take creative license.
Ahh, nice conversion It's always fun to contemplate what the next LC might throw out, and which way it'll take a character's development
Career Officer
# 224
03-24-2013, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
I also enjoyed some throwaway details, like the reference to Heinlein's story "All You Zombies--".
I wish I could take full credit for the Robert Heinlein reference, but I actually picked upthis guy from a temporal lockbox.

I can take credit for his drink recipe, though.

Lt. Commander
# 225
03-24-2013, 07:50 PM
It's done! Azera Xi: Original Sin is loosely based on Literary Challenge #32, "Into the Hive," though it's a story I knew was coming ever since creating her character, and the most important one in her development. It's also a very dark story, which is part of the reason why I wanted the last one to offer a more positive, lighthearted view of the crew. It brings together elements from the rest of her stories and log entries, so it'll make more sense if you've read them and already know her background. Anyway, I hope you like it!

Last edited by sparklysoldier; 03-24-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Captain
# 226
03-24-2013, 10:12 PM
Wraith--I can't say "Aunt Kathy" came off as fully sympathetic, and I suspect given the challenge you used, that was very much your intention. As usual, while her intentions are probably OK, her methods of getting there are doubtful to say the least. If she really wanted to educate Wraith, she could've just said so.

sander223--I am not a real KDF fan but enjoyed the look into some of the non-Klingon cultures drafted into the KDF. I admit the names of the crew were an obstacle for me, but the storyline itself was great.

sparklysoldier--WOW. What a moment for Azera, to come to that sort of realization! In a lot of ways, I think your story with the machine-priests makes a lot of sense. The Borg Queen really took on a very Dukat-like characterization in that light, especially in the way she sought Azera's approval. It's fortunate she was rescued before the Queen really did wear down her free will to the point where she would give herself to the Collective. (Funny...wasn't that sort of validation also what the Queen wanted out of Picard and Data?)

Off-topic...just rewatched "Time's Arrow," since Hulu is offering TNG for free. What was actually really awesome was seeing some of the things in the episode that I had completely forgotten, to include confirmation of Devidian telepathy, and their ability to actually comprehend and replicate human language and mannerisms (though of course that female Devidian was being reaaaaallly creepy and, since she was injured, seemed to require a lot of focus to pull it off). That and the ability to phase in and out at will. I hadn't remembered all of that--but wow, it really makes me feel good about the choices I made in creating Alyosha! The only issue I have where I contradicted the episode is that apparently the crew wasn't totally in phase with the Devidians while on their world and were able to move around without the Devidians seeing them...but I'm going to have to put that down to some interference pattern from the slapped-together equipment our crew was using, to explain why beings that otherwise "should" be able to see across temporal phases couldn't see them.
Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM me for more. :-)

Sig by gulberat. Avatar credit to balsavor.deviantart.com

Last edited by gulberat; 03-24-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Career Officer
# 227
03-24-2013, 11:31 PM
@khayuung: Great story, and a perfect setup to your twist! It's always fun to write for a character in a case of "I know something you don't know" - but you took it to whole new level with Yuung's smirking self-confidence as only a cover for his fear of what he expects to find. I'm very much looking forward to the continuation of this story!

@sparklysoldier: Ho. Lee. Smokes. I kinda sensed what you were building up to but I never expected a full-on breakdown in front of the Queen. How does she go back to fighting the Borg after this? I guess I'll have to stay tuned to find out...

Career Officer
# 228
03-25-2013, 01:21 AM
Based on the feedback received so far (many thanks, macusdkane, jonsills and gulberat! ) I've changed a couple character names in "Frozen."

Calvin is now refered to simply as "Cal." Sweetums is now known as "Sway" - an abbreviation of his real name.

Captain
# 229
03-25-2013, 02:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
Wraith--I can't say "Aunt Kathy" came off as fully sympathetic, and I suspect given the challenge you used, that was very much your intention. As usual, while her intentions are probably OK, her methods of getting there are doubtful to say the least. If she really wanted to educate Wraith, she could've just said so.
Entirely the case here. An earlier entry of mine talks about how they developed a mutual but respectful dislike of each other, and given the work the do, they tend to cross paths every now and then. Given that and who they both are as characters, it seemed like the best way to do it was to just have her show up unannounced and with less than truthful intentions.

I think the problem was too much little detail and not enough space to put it, Admittedly because i refuse to go over one panel in length. But you are right that if she wanted to take him from the get go she could have, but the direct approach just didn't seem to fit well.
Captain
# 230
03-25-2013, 06:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklysoldier View Post
It's done! Azera Xi: Original Sin is loosely based on Literary Challenge #32, "Into the Hive," though it's a story I knew was coming ever since creating her character, and the most important one in her development. It's also a very dark story, which is part of the reason why I wanted the last one to offer a more positive, lighthearted view of the crew. It brings together elements from the rest of her stories and log entries, so it'll make more sense if you've read them and already know her background. Anyway, I hope you like it!
Wowowowowowow!!! Got to love a seduction by the One who is Many ^_^ I was almost disappointed that the crew got to Azera. Not because I wanted to see her assimilated, but because I wanted to see what would have happened and been revealed about the Borg As a sidenote, I thought Marcus had already amended her bio, but classified the change... Such a fantastic piece though, I was gripped all the way through ^_^

[Edit to add]
I've just realized who should portray Azera... Sarah Michelle Gellar

Last edited by marcusdkane; 03-25-2013 at 07:00 AM.