Career Officer
# 11
03-25-2013, 05:45 AM
I'd question whether we're going to get much more Vs Tholian content at all. It is, now, no secret that a Tholian reputation system is forthcoming with the new content due in May.

Reputation system = access to Tholian tech which, if the other reputation system are anything to go by, heavily implies, at the very least, a ceasefire.

Enemies don't share tech with each other (unless it is, like Task Force Omega, for the greater good).

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY
Captain
# 12
03-25-2013, 05:56 AM
I started a thread about the new Tholian rep system a few weeks back, and basically said that Tholians would make excellent elite mission material simply because how tough they are to fight.

I can't believe that it would be terribly difficult to have normal and elite versions of Tholian STF's just like the Borg missions we have now, so all crowds are catered for. Such missions would be great to get engineers and science ships back into the game. Tanks can bear the brunt of disables, tractors and webs. Science ships can use their crowd control against widows or mesh weavers. Such ships would free up the tacs to apply their DPS.

All this is idle speculation, but to be honest all I hope is that we get something new to play for Tholian marks. Just don't expect us to grind the same content we have, or have me raise baby spiders.
Kurov - KDF Tactical
- - - - -
STB Channel Member
- - - - -
"Something everyone always forgets, all grind is optional"
Career Officer
# 13
03-25-2013, 05:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupaholic View Post
I started a thread about the new Tholian rep system a few weeks back, and basically said that Tholians would make excellent elite mission material simply because how tough they are to fight.

I can't believe that it would be terribly difficult to have normal and elite versions of Tholian STF's just like the Borg missions we have now, so all crowds are catered for. Such missions would be great to get engineers and science ships back into the game. Tanks can bear the brunt of disables, tractors and webs. Science ships can use their crowd control against widows or mesh weavers. Such ships would free up the tacs to apply their DPS.

All this is idle speculation, but to be honest all I hope is that we get something new to play for Tholian marks. Just don't expect us to grind the same content we have, or have me raise baby spiders.
Because if they don't fix the current system to gate away content from idiots, then we'll just have the same problem of morons with rainbow beam cruisers picking elites and not having a clue.
And before you say "hur dur play wif fleet mates lol", that is not something one can do all the time for various reasons, especially when the solution to seperating the wheat from the chaff in pugs is relatively simple.
Community Moderator
# 14
03-25-2013, 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimey2 View Post
And not just mindless bags of HP and unavoidable, or nearly so, one-shot kills.

With the Tholians serving as the third version of the 'secondary' bad guys, there's been some rumors of Tholian STFs to go with the Tholian Rep in May. So if there are, I really do hope they are truly challenging and actually provide some real effort and skill to complete.

As it stands now, outside of PvP, the only real challenging PvE things to do is: Hive (space and ground on elite), and No-Win Scenario.

So I really do hope it's worth doing these if they happen, because the game could use some more real challenging stuff to do, especially with all the people coming into the game new, and returning to the game from having quit.
I couldn't have said it better myself. I'm really hoping that we're going to see some Tholian (or even New Romulus) themed STFs in the upcoming expansion. I love the STFs as they are, but after months of grinding they've gotten very stale, I'd like to see Terradome revamped (just because, make it a Gear/Dilithium reward I guess) and some new ones put in.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Captain
# 15
03-25-2013, 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyan01 View Post
I'd question whether we're going to get much more Vs Tholian content at all. It is, now, no secret that a Tholian reputation system is forthcoming with the new content due in May.

Reputation system = access to Tholian tech which, if the other reputation system are anything to go by, heavily implies, at the very least, a ceasefire.

Enemies don't share tech with each other (unless it is, like Task Force Omega, for the greater good).
Not necessarily, I doubt Task Force Omega gained the Borg technology responsible for the assimilated space set or the prosthetic arm weaponry as a result of negotiations with the Borg Queen.

I would think we got hold of Tholian tech by scavenging/stealing it from debris or captured vessels, then reverse engineering it.
Kurov - KDF Tactical
- - - - -
STB Channel Member
- - - - -
"Something everyone always forgets, all grind is optional"
Captain
# 16
03-25-2013, 06:25 AM
Imho they're going to be close in difficulty to what we have today, unless they completely rework the queuing system. Currently you can do any content with any combination of tanks, DDs, healers and supporters, and unless they're going to change it to require tanks & healers, they have a certain boundary as to how difficult they can make it.

Quote:

It could be a combination of Omega-Force-like, anti-tholian gear (tet-resist, resist to disable subsystems) and a small amount of scavanged items (see: borg).
Captain
# 17
03-25-2013, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyan01 View Post

Just going to point out that players get access to Borg tech via reputation stuffs, yet they're most definitely not working with or for the Borg.
Captain
# 18
03-25-2013, 07:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thay8472 View Post
maybe a Breen and Tholian need to work together o do stuff ?
I've been hoping for that since the Tholians release.

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.

JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it.
Career Officer
# 19
03-25-2013, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucianazeta View Post
Unlikely.

They cater to the majority who can't do such a thing, not the minority who can, they need to make money and that won't work if a lot of people ragequit over something they can't beat.
Bingo, metrics at work.
Empire Veteran
# 20
03-25-2013, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizwei View Post
I'm sorry, but I'm sick of this stupid, stupid attitude going around.

No Win and Hive Onslaught are not challenging. They're just zerg rushes.
Zerg rushes are not challenging, they're tedious and irritating.
I do NOT want to play missions where I get bum rushed by a million Tholians. They can either come up with a real challenge (and I don't mean invincible mobs that 1 shot you either) or they can keep it "easy".
Fair enough. But they were the best examples I could think of in terms of PvE content that had any sort of 'challenge' to them.

I left out Crystalline Entity for now, because I'm waiting to see what the finalized version will be on Holodeck.

I do want actual challenge still. Not just one-shots and HP bags.