Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 795
# 71
03-24-2013, 11:04 PM
If a escort can tank Donatra something is wrong.

-= ISE: 12:19 -=- CSE 12:41 -=- KASE 11:59 -=- HSe 8:06 total =-
-= KAGE 5:43 =-
[7:07] [Combat (Self)] Your Dual Disruptor Banks - Overload II deals 123086 (41096) Disruptor Damage(Critical) to Assimilated Carrier.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 99
# 72
03-24-2013, 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushariagain View Post
Um, ok, firstly, no; if escorts get any less durable than they already are then how the hell is anyone supposed to do the campaign? I run with a patrol escort, VA with a rare covariant cap2 shield and 2 neutronium alloy and I still have trouble with some of the npc ships, especially since I'm usually solo and not in a fleet.
Maybe it's just me, but I like trouble. Yeah, I had a hard time soloing plenty of parts in the campaign as a tac/escort, but I like a challenge, and the only thing I was never able to find a good way around in the single-player content was the giant furball of doom at the end of Boldly They Rode. (oh, um... spoi-lers....) Some things took me longer to figure out than others, but I found that what I needed to do was play to my ship's strengths.
What was essential (for me, at least) when dealing with the nastier enemies in the solo PvE content was to out-maneuver them, engage in multiple hit-and-run attacks, darting out of range entirely when I had lost the tactical upper-hand, and pinning the more front-loaded enemies in place whenever possible. I have very fond memories of when my Heavy Escort and I would "joust" with D'deridexes in order to exploit their turn-rate, weapons positioning, and firing behaviors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushariagain View Post
Secondly, steadfastly NO; if tacs get any weaker on ground then they're going to be one-shotted by pretty much everything, . . .
I don't think I've seen anyone talk about nerfing tacs on the ground. Closest I've seen is someone saying that tacs suck at ground combat, and them rocking at space combat is their compensation for it.
No, tac officers do not need ground debuffs, and I will back you up on that if anyone suggests otherwise. (Frankly between my Fed tac and my KDF sci-- it's the science officer who rocks at ground combat. I don't think any other class can solo Manus on elite difficulty!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushariagain View Post
Thirdly, finally, WHAT?!?: Now look, I can see why tacs should be nerfed in pvp, that's fair but I, personally, get tired of the constant ******** and moaning from people with a pvp/fleet action mentality (I don't see any other reason that you'd be complaining so if you're not in that group, just take this as disjointed ranting), there is more to the game than pvp/fleet action.

Having said all of that, nerfing the high level npc ships for solo players, now THAT, that I can understand.
Do STFs count in the fleet action territory? Because that's where I am. I like cooperative play, but I suck too bad for PvP. :P
However, when the best STF party consists of 5 tac/escorts (followed closely by 4 tac/escorts and either 1 tac/cruiser or 1 sci/escort), you've got a problem. Any job that anyone needs to do in an STF, an escort can do it best.

Also I would be pretty sad if high-level NPC ships in solo play were debuffed. I may be weird in wanting a challenge and feeling like I might lose, but even the supposed-to-be-difficult encounters in the Foundry and the single-player daily missions... I can handle easier than I'd prefer. It doesn't even qualifies as a boast to say that my escort has repeatedly demonstrated the ability to rip apart a Keldon-class battleship on advanced difficulty in 45 seconds or less. Frankly, the fact that it often took me more than 30 seconds says that I fail at escort. :P

Last edited by miri2; 03-24-2013 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Spehleeng Phale. :.(
Career Officer
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 224
# 73
03-25-2013, 02:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshalericdavid View Post
1 nerf I can think of is to make Attack Pattern Alpha share a cooldown with other Attack Patterns. Makes no sense to be able to run 2 Attack Patterns at same time.
i don't mind a shared cool down on my capitans skills as long as its the same for science/engineers capitans skills as well
Captain
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,181
# 74
03-25-2013, 03:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrosrages View Post
i don't mind a shared cool down on my capitans skills as long as its the same for science/engineers capitans skills as well
Their is no abilities that Engineers and Science have that would make logical sense to have a shared cooldown like Attack Pattern Alpha has with other Attack Patterns. In addition Tactical powers are just so dam good compared to others. This oh no don't touch my thing unless you touch theirs in same negative way is what causes problems for the game. The current state of the game with balance is horrid. Tactical Officers are just so dam good either nerf them in some way or boost all the others.
Career Officer
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 224
# 75
03-25-2013, 04:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshalericdavid View Post
Their is no abilities that Engineers and Science have that would make logical sense to have a shared cooldown like Attack Pattern Alpha has with other Attack Patterns. In addition Tactical powers are just so dam good compared to others. This oh no don't touch my thing unless you touch theirs in same negative way is what causes problems for the game. The current state of the game with balance is horrid. Tactical Officers are just so dam good either nerf them in some way or boost all the others.
lol you make me laugh, every captain has captain skills and if you want to start setting special rules just for tac toons then your barking up the wrong tree and it WILL NEVER EVER HAPPEN
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 856
# 76
03-25-2013, 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshalericdavid View Post
Their is no abilities that Engineers and Science have that would make logical sense to have a shared cooldown like Attack Pattern Alpha has with other Attack Patterns. In addition Tactical powers are just so dam good compared to others. This oh no don't touch my thing unless you touch theirs in same negative way is what causes problems for the game. The current state of the game with balance is horrid. Tactical Officers are just so dam good either nerf them in some way or boost all the others.
Exactly, not only should the share a cooldown but they have needed to split the attack and evasive maneuver patterns for a very long time now so that tacticals no longer have an iWin button to use every match. Sorry but that's just not canon we've seen it in the shows over and over. Even the show "Message in a Bottle" Attack Pattern Alpha at no time provided a defense so why should attack pattern Omega or any of the other abilities provide a defense against anything. That's like saying that Directed Energy Modulation and Energy Siphon should also provide a defense buff at the same time as being an attack.

Oh and I agree, our cooldowns are just fine on both science and engineer him saying that we need to address engineer and science abilities is a complete straw man argument because they are already too weak to be a problem, which is the whole point of these posts to let the devs know that changes are needed big time.
Is hoping that Isis is an adequate replacement for the Sensor Targetting Assault loss we'll experience in Season 9.
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9,121
# 77
03-25-2013, 05:24 AM
It came up in the Geko 4 hour interview - it has come up in the thread. There is an issue catering to the lowest denominator and the results of what happens for anything that is not there. It makes mediocrity superb and superb is off the charts.
Willard the Rat, Reman, F.T'varo - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder
Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethaen, M.Qin - Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,321
# 78
03-25-2013, 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrosrages View Post
lol you make me laugh, every captain has captain skills and if you want to start setting special rules just for tac toons then your barking up the wrong tree and it WILL NEVER EVER HAPPEN
Judging by your fervour I'd recommend you keep the number of a counselor handy in case they do change it up. Sounds like you might have trouble dealing with things and may hurt yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
It came up in the Geko 4 hour interview - it has come up in the thread. There is an issue catering to the lowest denominator and the results of what happens for anything that is not there. It makes mediocrity superb and superb is off the charts.
It's a vicious cycle. The more you make escorts better, the more people will fly them, the more people will buy them, the less people will fly other ships. For Cryptic to not see this is ludicrous. Time to hire a new business manager!!
Ensign
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 8
# 79
03-25-2013, 06:38 AM
I've got 2 tac captains...one Fed one KDF. They're just not balanced. The damage they do is fine IF they had lower defense. They should be glass cannons and they're not.

Last edited by obelusdoom; 03-25-2013 at 06:41 AM.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 374
# 80
03-25-2013, 06:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by janewaywarrior View Post
As a Tactical Captain myself, I have noticed the enormous power I have over other Captain's of different classes. Coupled with obviously over-powered vessels such as the JHAS or Fleet Defiant and it becomes a deadly "synergy" of its own.

So lets stop this talk about "re-balancing Engineering and Science" which quite frankly, we all know that Cryptic are just not able to do. They've had 3 years to balance the classes and have failed and proved they are not interested in that.

The most simple solution is to nerf the damage that Tactical Captain's are capable of. Stop Attack Pattern Alpha from interacting with Science Abilities by locking it to "WEAPON DAMAGE ONLY" and nerfing it to 25%. Also Go Down Fighting should also be "WEAPON DAMAGE ONLY" and nerf the durability of Escorts by 15% across to board to become the Glass Cannons that we all know that they should be.

These topics about changing skills etc are really not needed because it just brings us away from the main issues. Tactical has been too powerful for too long and are Cryptic's favorites because they do not know how to do other abilities without making damage ridiculous.
Or maybe its just that science and eng captains are doing something wrong. I have a very strong fleet defiant but from time to time, i face science and/or eng captains with a ship that is able to withstand everything i throw at them. As a tac captain, you do not have much options how to build your ship. You can do much more things wrong as a science or eng captain. Thats the fact. Stop writing posts like this.. doesnt make any sense.
What ? Calaway.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:58 AM.