Career Officer
# 11
03-25-2013, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshirtthefirst View Post
I read somewhere about this idea and found it fantastic for several reasons:

- New "Species" into the character creator that would allow TOS-era looking klingon.
- differentiate factions while offering a character with the same traits as Joint-Trill

Of course, before rage is unleashed upon this thread, people willing to keep existing joint trill should be able to do so and still customize them, not like what happened from old to new Gorn.

Traits would be exactly the same but:

Joint Trill.............Klingon Augment
Hyper Metabolism<----->Hyper Metabolism
Joint Symbiote<----->Augmented Neural Pathways

So, while keeping trait options, it would add a KDF flavored customization and a highly requested option to create TOS era Klingon while not using the 'alien' species.

Thoughts?
The idea is mine...or was mine almost 2 years ago.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...92&postcount=6

Anyway the idea back then was to keep the stats identical but use the somewhat different background of the Augments from "Enterprise" as a basis:

Joined Trill have two mandatory traits:
"Hypermetabolism", which grants Rad and Tox resistance and faster regen

"Joined Symbiote", which gives binuses to various space abilities based on several lifetimes of experience

So the counterparts on a Klingon Augments would then be:
"Hypermetabolism" or to give it a different name "Augmented Metabolism", I think that one is pretty obvious

"Augmented Neural Pathways", based on Dr Antaak's own statement from the show:

"For a time it appeared we were quite successful. Our Augments might have looked human, but they were Klingon. Stronger, more intelligent."

There are at least two possbile explanations I could think of why there'd be Klingon "Augments" around:
1.) STO's own lore shows Klingons experimenting with them

2.) We know B'vat brought a "cure" back into the past, but the appearance of some Klingons even after these events indicate there are still altered Klingons around.
This is Kurn's chest in "Sons of Mogh"
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/4545/sonsmogh082.jpg
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/9066/sonsmogh085.jpg
...which does not really look human to me.
While Klaa's chest does
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/2105/tffhd0492.jpg
even though Star Trek V is set long after B'vat brought back the cure.
So there must be some Klingons the "cure" did not work on.

Possibily since they inherited it from both parents the alterations have become "dominant" and can't be removed.
Survivor of Romulus
# 12
03-25-2013, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizwei View Post
Nobody says Klingon augments would have to be smooth heads. Though it would be nice as a cosmetic option.
I think that was the whole point behind getting the Klingon augments - to be able to have a playable TOS Klingon in STO.
Because true Starfleet Captains command Exploration Cruisers!
Thank you Cryptic for finally giving me MY SHIP!!!
Captain
# 13
03-25-2013, 08:39 AM
Why not just add in augments AND leave Joined Trill alone? Giving the KDF more options?
Career Officer
# 14
03-25-2013, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
Why not just add in augments AND leave Joined Trill alone? Giving the KDF more options?
Because the KDF should not have Joined Trills. Period.
Career Officer
# 15
03-25-2013, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
Well, TBH it was a post in the sense of "would have been nice if" back then...
And I still think it shows a bit that Joined Trill were added to the KDF due to the demands of the contract instead of because it made tons of sense in terms of the game's own story.

And if Cryptic were to implement some kind of "respecies" token I'd absulutely use it on one of my Aliens that I designed as a TOS Klingon.

I think a case of adding Augments instead of replacing Joined Trill would probably work best, especially since anything else would end up upsetting a lot of people.
A "respecies token" would also leave people the option to change their Joined Trill to Augment if they felt it made more sense.
Career Officer
# 16
03-25-2013, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
The idea is mine...or was mine almost 2 years ago.
I would have given proper credit, but it was showing as "archived post"...

While augments were surely not well viewed or received in the empire... they still exist. This actually gives them a good back story.

SERVER NOT RESPONDING (1701s)

Last edited by redshirtthefirst; 03-25-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Republic Veteran
# 17
03-25-2013, 09:54 AM
Well Trills are here, they're joined, get use to it.
Career Officer
# 18
03-25-2013, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshirtthefirst View Post
I would have given proper credit, but it was showing as "archived post"...
Nah, no problem.
They were ALL archived.
It wasn't about the need for credit or anything.
I just wanted to elaborate on what I had in mind back then.
Captain
# 19
03-25-2013, 10:03 AM
I did far prefer John M. Ford's explanation for the foreheads to the one that became canon. (In The Final Reflection, Ford posited that the Empire would create "fusions" of Klingons and neighboring species, in the hopes of getting better insights into how those species would think and fight; those fusions who managed to get into the KDF would then be posted on the borders with the appropriate neighbor species, becoming the face of the Empire to that species. This also gives us the interesting concept of Romulans assuming that Klingons have pointed ears...)

However, if the only way to get TOS Klingons is to use the "augment" story, I suppose I'll just have to grit my teeth and accept it...
-------------------------------------------
"Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!" - David Brin, "Those Eyes"
Captain
# 20
03-25-2013, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizwei View Post
Because the KDF should not have Joined Trills. Period.
So basically if it never happened regularly on a TV show, it should never happen in any future content.

"How to fail writing: Lesson 1"
--------------------------------------

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom