Ensign
# 1 Star trek 2009 Warp effect.
03-25-2013, 04:27 PM
Maybe, i'm unique in this but I absolutely loved the warp effect in the 2009 movie. The sound effect and the visual was awesome and looks less tacky then any of its predecessors. any chance this could be duplicated in game?
Captain
# 2
03-25-2013, 04:34 PM
I prefer the classic warp effect myself, but I don't see any reason why the JJ one can't be included in STO.
Say NO to mandatory Arc!

Last edited by psycoticvulcan; 03-25-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Captain
# 3
03-25-2013, 05:43 PM
I like the sound, but the lack of flash is off-putting. I think that if ships had different warp effects that would be really cool.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
HI HO, HI HO. OFF DUTY SLOT NEEDS TO GO!

"It's better to ask a dumb question, than to remain an idiot forever."
Ensign
# 4
03-25-2013, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
I prefer the classic warp effect myself, but I don't see any reason why the JJ one can't be included in STO.
I agree the flash could be more intense. and the bright flash in the distance shouldn't have been removed. I would be perfectly fine with the STO devs adding their own improvements to it.
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
03-25-2013, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boldwolf89 View Post
Maybe, i'm unique in this but I absolutely loved the warp effect in the 2009 movie. The sound effect and the visual was awesome and looks less tacky then any of its predecessors. any chance this could be duplicated in game?
If you mean JJ's trek, then probably not, nothing from JJ's Trek can be used in the game at all...

***Disenchanted***
Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
Captain
# 6
03-25-2013, 09:39 PM
I suppose the Abram's version has a more realistic look since a ship jumping to FTL by way of transiting to a subdimension would probably simply vanish from the viewpoint of spectators but the effect although cool looking has more of a Star Wars look to it than a Star Trek one.
Career Officer
# 7
03-26-2013, 08:21 AM
I have never been fond of the stretchy ship + flash myself.
I've always considered it cheap looking.

The 2009 warp effect is one of the stylistic changes that actually work, but given it's from the movie I doubt Cryptic could ever put it in.
I'd love the TOS movie effects as an option though.
Career Officer
# 8
03-26-2013, 09:16 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAH...

Oh...

You're serious?

Well.. Personally I prefer to not have my eyes burned once more.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports
Career Officer
# 9
04-01-2013, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boldwolf89 View Post
I quite liked the Warp effect as well.

Perhaps with the upcoming Warp Core game mechanic we can see different effects based on the type of Warp Core you have equipped.
Captain
# 10
04-01-2013, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpacknz View Post
If you mean JJ's trek, then probably not, nothing from JJ's Trek can be used in the game at all...
Hardly, Abrams Trek warp sequence is highly derivative, the flash streak has been used by Star Wars and dozens of other science fictions, the stretching in the bridge view is straight out of Starship Troopers, there is nothing about the effect that the Abrams film can specifically lay claim to.
I've always though the Star Trek rainbow streak out looked corny, the vehicle is clearly not moving fast enough to leave a light trail behind, but that is what we have now for Star Trek, the flash disappear sequence from the Abrams film just doesn't look like something you would expect to see in Star Trek even though the effect looks great.