Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics
Login

Captain
# 11
03-26-2013, 05:08 AM
get a ground set...mk X is enough, problem solved.
Go pro or go home
Captain
# 12
03-26-2013, 05:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skollulfr View Post
you arent talking about a mechanical change. you are talking about pushing a button to make it change its settings.
if it was analogous to anything it would be changing the fire select setting.
Watch First Contact. At least one (probably more than one) redshirt bites it while trying to remodulate his rifle before a Drone gets close.

If it were simply a button press how exactly would any ship ever get overrun by the Borg?

Bottom line: either accept the fact that source material puts manual remodulation as a slow, clunky process, or simply get one of the anti-borg sets and have the magical one-button press remod that you're looking for.
Captain
# 13
03-26-2013, 07:04 AM
You can still move while the weapon is remodulating. In any scene, in any show with Borg it takes time to examine and remodulate a weapon a process more complicated than just pushing a button, usually far longer than we encounter in the game and usually resulting in the shooter being overun by borg before his weapon is ready. Making the remod time too short and too easy would pretty much remove the Borg adaptation ability. We already have it far easier to remodulate than it should be.
Captain
# 14
03-26-2013, 07:07 AM
source material showed borg getting killed in one or 2 shots when not adapted.
also showed that nobody had personal armor or shields to resist them, and showed people being dragged off to sickbay when injured, not running to the nearest font of heal-y feel good.

and i dont once remember seeing tac teams or mortars beam in.

but whatever, maybe data should have just used orbital strike & beamed out rather than shooting the naradas core the way he did.

-- edit -- and no, im not suggesting that the borg adaption be removed, im suggesting that we be allowed to use meelee and other abilities besides square dancing around the borg while waiting for the weapon.
or do you really believe that anyone in teh fed, kdf or anywhere else wouldnt see an obvious weakness and find a way to at least partially automate the process.
heck, half the klingon/disruptor weapons look like they have bayonets anyway.
t6 cruiser? keep it, i'd rather have aux to dampers 3.
as it turns out, an intrepid would lose a fight with a connie.
and thats canon.
! the power of plot compels you.

Last edited by skollulfr; 03-26-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Captain
# 15
03-26-2013, 07:12 AM
Quote:
source material showed borg getting killed in one or 2 shots when not adapted.
also showed that nobody had personal armor or shields to resist them, and showed people being dragged off to sickbay when injured, not running to the nearest font of heal-y feel good.

and i dont once remember seeing tac teams or mortars beam in.

but whatever, maybe data should have just used orbital strike & beamed out rather than shooting the naradas core the way he did.
If you're going to get bitchy about game mechanics versus source, at least get your source right.
Captain
# 16
03-26-2013, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
If you're going to get bitchy about game mechanics versus source, at least get your source right.
perhaps everyone on defera should have tommy guns?
not like there wasnt a whole episode of ds9 about a projectile weapon with a transporter.
and thats canon.
Survivor of Romulus
# 17
03-26-2013, 07:16 AM
I agree with the OP the randomiser needs to be looked at if for no other reason than to try to influence people to try Defera, because IMHO the cycle is ZOT, fiddle, ZOT, fiddle, ZOT, ZOT, fiddle, with death at each fiddle btw. The frustration can quickly get overwhelming since, if I remember correctly, there is one mission before then that you have to do melee.

I gave up on all ground missions involving the borg because the randomiser in my computer, I get 1 shot off before the borg adapt, and who likes dying 14 to 30 times to kill 1 borg, so I end up doing the mission all melee then gave up on them.

And yes I am moving while it is remodulating. I still got killed that often.
Also First Contact was what 30 to 40 years before the current in game date the remodulation system should have been streamlined a little.

Last edited by crappyturbo; 03-26-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Captain
# 18
03-26-2013, 07:17 AM
Quote:
perhaps everyone on defera should have tommy guns?
not like there wasnt a whole episode of ds9 about a projectile weapon with a transporter.
And there was an entire novel about how a ship outfitted with TR-116s cleaned house after being boarded by the Borg at the second battle of Sector 001.

Doesn't change the fact that manual remodulation is a time consuming process on energy weapons. Or the fact that Data blew up the Scimitar, not the Narada. As I said, if you want to get bitchy about game mechanics versus source, get your information correct.
Captain
# 19
03-26-2013, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
And there was an entire novel about how a ship outfitted with TR-116s cleaned house after being boarded by the Borg at the second battle of Sector 001.

Doesn't change the fact that manual remodulation is a time consuming process on energy weapons. Or the fact that Data blew up the Scimitar, not the Narada. As I said, if you want to get bitchy about game mechanics versus source, get your information correct.
oh dear, i got a name wrong.
but thanks for proving my point about adapting better suited tech to killing borg, but hay, you just love the fleet system right? cant even remember a novel with ufop fleets acting as a merchant navy.

and no way ANY of the dev lab rats in those would have thought, 'you know, maybe we could automate this process a bit'

by your reasoning, we shouldnt have to carry remodulators at all since your playing with the gun to apply new frequencies.
and thats canon.
Captain
# 20
03-26-2013, 07:57 AM
Quote:
oh dear, i got a name wrong.
but thanks for proving my point about adapting better suited tech to killing borg, but hay, you just love the fleet system right? cant even remember a novel with ufop fleets acting as a merchant navy.
I'm sorry, who was the one who brought source material into the argument? You don't get to raise a point, screw up the point, and then dismiss the fact that you screwed up the point as irrelevant.

Also, you're ******** about fleet holdings too? Got any other complaints you want to throw in?

Quote:
and no way ANY of the dev lab rats in those would have thought, 'you know, maybe we could automate this process a bit'

by your reasoning, we shouldnt have to carry remodulators at all since your playing with the gun to apply new frequencies.
And we're back to First Contact. Remember that scene with Lily, Picard, Melville references and a bunch of broken little ships? What was Picard doing through most of that?

Using a handheld tool (aka, primitive remodulator device) to tweak his rifle.

The basic device you have in STO is already an improvement over that method. You don't need to field strip your weapon anymore to remodulate it.