Career Officer
# 21
03-26-2013, 08:12 AM
I've always viewed the Star Trek series as

TOS - Wild West in Space
TNG - Brittish Imperialism and the Good side of the coin. Peace, exploration, and diplomacy enforced by superior fire power or a diplomat (ala Picard)
DS9 - Soap Opera in space and the darker side of the coin compared to TNG about what is necessary for the Federation to survive.
Voyager - Re-attempt to TOS as seen by the crew compilation and thrown into the unknown.
Enterprise - Attempt to recapture the Space as all new much like TOS.

My issues for Voyager really stem from the Writers. It was clear they wrote the Captain part as a man and just made the captain a woman but didn't bother to change the writing to compensate. There was a lot they could have done but it fell short since they didn't write it in properly.
Captain
# 22
03-26-2013, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kusapark View Post
My issues for Voyager really stem from the Writers. It was clear they wrote the Captain part as a man and just made the captain a woman but didn't bother to change the writing to compensate. There was a lot they could have done but it fell short since they didn't write it in properly.
I agree the first episode or two showed her feminine side an then that was hidden away.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Captain
# 23
03-26-2013, 09:53 AM
I think the problem with Voyager for me, lies squarely on the shoulders of Kate Mulgrew... She was not the original choice for the role, it should've been Genevieve Bujold. The character was never written for her, and I think that re-casting is where all Kathryn's weaknesses come to the fore... The thing that got me the most about her, was her inconsistency... She was happy to use the principles of the Federation as a Moral Highground when someone pissed her off, but was equally quick to abandon them and do what she wanted when someone else pissed her off... Sure, Kirk did whatever the hell he wanted whenever he wanted, but he was at least consistent about it. Same with Picard. There were times when he was truly hamstrung by the principles of the Federation and tended to break them only in the gravest of circumstances. Janeway, on the other hand, I would equate more to Riker: Comes across as everyone's best buddy, but when told something he/she didn't like, would become petulant and snotty in their treatment of others and grossly unprofessional. Captain Ransom, on the other hand, now he had big cojones... He knew full well he was going against Federation principles, but was doing so to protect his crew. I imagine that before his breakdown, Fleet Captain Garth was very similar...
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-26-2013, 09:58 AM
I really loved Voyager because of the story.
Simply a crew who wanted to go back home after the Caretaker incident.

But my favor lies in Star Trek Enterprise.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-26-2013, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixhex View Post
I have so far watched every episode of every Star Trek show including the animated show. The only exception is Voyager. I am right in the middle of season 4. I want to say that Voyager is by far my favorite Star Trek show. DS9 comes second for me then TNG, Enterprise and TOS after that. I am writing this here because I remember in the past I have noticed alot or just a good amount of people criticize Voyager and Captain Janeway. Will Weaton even made a negative comment about her character on a past Talking Dead episode he was on. I honestly don't know why. With Species 4782, The Borg, and dealing with the emergeance of 7 of 9's human side Janeway is amazing and so is the show. Not since DS9 and Sisko dealing with the wraiths and Gul Dukat have I ever felt more excited. I can't wait to finish the show because I actually cheated on Netflix and skimmed through the last one and saw the borg and an old Janeway. I have never seen past 7 of 9's first appearance or two so if anyone responds please no spoilers.
I can't decide between Voyager and DS9, both started really bad, but after season 2~ they made me love Star Trek. I wish I have 3 seasons of Star Trek waiting for me to be seen like u have.
Career Officer
# 26
03-26-2013, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
I think the problem with Voyager for me, lies squarely on the shoulders of Kate Mulgrew... She was happy to use the principles of the Federation as a Moral Highground when someone pissed her off, but was equally quick to abandon them and do what she wanted when someone else pissed her off...
So, Mulgrew was the writing team, producers and director?
Captain
# 27
03-26-2013, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwecangetlost View Post
So, Mulgrew was the writing team, producers and director?
No, just the weakest link in a chain of weak links... Much of the issue with Voyager, is the same issue as Enterprise: Brannon Braga. As you point out, the writing team, producers and directors all played a part. There was some good writing, there was some less than good writing, but she was the mouthpiece through which it all came to life. Two actors will play the same part very differently. For example, Alex O'Loughlin portrays Steve McGarrett in a very different way to Jack Lord, even though the character himself is essentially the same. Different actors have different strengths, and I think Genevieve Bujold would have portrayed Janeway in a very different way to Kate Mulgrew. While of course, an actor is somewhat at the whim of a writer and director, a good actor stamps their own mark on the role and takes a script as a springboard to launch off. Mulgrew, on the other hand, I felt merely did what the script called for, rather than going the extra mile... But that's just my .2c
Captain
# 28
03-26-2013, 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by glados122 View Post
I really loved Voyager because of the story.
Simply a crew who wanted to go back home after the Caretaker incident.

But my favor lies in Star Trek Enterprise.
I like the Johnathan archer character and I loved the art direction and the show was better than people give it credit. Having more of the same Trek on tv was still better than having yet another CSI.

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Captain
# 29
03-26-2013, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
I think the problem with Voyager for me, lies squarely on the shoulders of Kate Mulgrew... She was not the original choice for the role, it should've been Genevieve Bujold. The character was never written for her, and I think that re-casting is where all Kathryn's weaknesses come to the fore... The thing that got me the most about her, was her inconsistency... She was happy to use the principles of the Federation as a Moral Highground when someone pissed her off, but was equally quick to abandon them and do what she wanted when someone else pissed her off... Sure, Kirk did whatever the hell he wanted whenever he wanted, but he was at least consistent about it. Same with Picard. There were times when he was truly hamstrung by the principles of the Federation and tended to break them only in the gravest of circumstances. Janeway, on the other hand, I would equate more to Riker: Comes across as everyone's best buddy, but when told something he/she didn't like, would become petulant and snotty in their treatment of others and grossly unprofessional. Captain Ransom, on the other hand, now he had big cojones... He knew full well he was going against Federation principles, but was doing so to protect his crew. I imagine that before his breakdown, Fleet Captain Garth was very similar...
I don't know, for much of the show the writers only showed the characters "business side" the bold face she had to put on in front of the crew.

Career Officer
# 30
03-27-2013, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolninspace View Post
Having more of the same Trek on tv was still better than having yet another CSI.
Can't argue with that Mr. Spock logic.