Career Officer
# 1 Boarding Party bug?
03-27-2013, 11:45 AM
So I was told this guy was hacking, able toput your tray powers on CD for 8 min. I went to fight him to see as I didn't believe it and it seemed to be true. Took screenshots and then questioned him, he claims it is Boarding party with 2 doffs. If this is legitimate then it is totally and massively OP, there is nothing you can do, you can't even fire back. If it's a hack then I have his details and the screenshots for Cryptic to take action.

Here is a screenshot, look at the tray powers.

Comments?

http://i.imgur.com/KGGaOjD.jpg

FLTCDR SRS FLEETS - S.R.S. - S.R.S. ACADEMY - SRS GUARDIANS - SRS KDF
Join Us www.srs-fleet.net/html/join_srs.html

Last edited by mattjohnsonva; 03-27-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-27-2013, 11:55 AM
Not a hack. That's how BP actually works with multiple doffs. If more than three shuttles land (note that the BP doff-spawned shuttles stack up on each other in flight and land at the same time), they can all proc the CD-increase effect. Whereas BP without doffs would set you back maybe 6-7s per ability before you could get a TT up, and that's if all three shuttles landed, BP with doffs can easily push you to 1 or 2 minutes per ability, and that's assuming maybe only 4 or 5 land out of the possible 9 that can spawn.

Also note that the CD of your abilities aren't reset upon respawn. I think this is the same mechanism by which abilities on CD remain on CD even through respawn; BP doesn't just slow down the CD recharge rate, it literally adds seconds onto the clock, and these seconds can't be wiped away by most effects.

There have been people complaining about it on the forums. It's generally considered as hugely OP but highly situational; as someone else put it, one of the most critical-success or critical-failure powers out there.
Captain
# 3
03-27-2013, 11:58 AM
I forget how the Bio-Space and SNB recharge buffs affect this as well - weren't there reports of even longer CDs?
Career Officer
# 4
03-27-2013, 11:58 AM
OK but we are not just talking about abilities here look at the weapons, they are on CD too, you are literally a sitting duck. If this is legit then it is totall borked and needs sorting ASAP because if this starts to spread then PvE will be the only thing worth playing in this game.

FLTCDR SRS FLEETS - S.R.S. - S.R.S. ACADEMY - SRS GUARDIANS - SRS KDF
Join Us www.srs-fleet.net/html/join_srs.html
Captain
# 5
03-27-2013, 12:04 PM
not really a comment about the OPness, but ... from an RP perspective if the boarding parties have taken that much control of your ship, you should probably start the self-destruct countdown

possible short-term fix: eject warp plasma makes his skill points wasted
Cryptic Studios Team
# 6
03-27-2013, 12:06 PM
Bug. Not WAD.

As for why exactly it's happening, I can't say that I immediately know by just looking at the symptoms.

It's on our radar to review and find a fix for. Until then, beware of Boarding Parties. (Honestly never thought I'd say that...)
-=-=-=-=-=-
Jeremy Randall
Cryptic - Systems Design
"Play smart!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Kurland here...
Captain
# 7
03-27-2013, 12:08 PM
Kwim Lo/R'owua-sek are the two DOFFs (Fed/KDF) that give a 33% chance to double the number of shuttles launched with BP. Operations - Flight Deck Officers.

Uras'Kalan/Uras'Kalan are the two DOFFs (Fed/KDF - careful - same name) that give a 40% chance to give each shuttle a Point Defense Turret. Security - Assault Squad Officer.

With the two of them - you can launch a bunch of shuttles that can shoot down targetables aimed their way or in their way (mines/torps) - giving them a better chance to get to the target and...

...oh Bort posted...

...and give them that chance to do something they're not supposed to be doing.
Career Officer
# 8
03-27-2013, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
Bug. Not WAD.

As for why exactly it's happening, I can't say that I immediately know by just looking at the symptoms.

It's on our radar to review and find a fix for. Until then, beware of Boarding Parties. (Honestly never thought I'd say that...)

Great news Bort, thanks for looking into this as always.

I'll take this opportunity to shamelessly beg for you to look at this thread if you have a few spare moments. In that thread, you will be like Prometheus bringing fire to Humankind.

Captain
# 9
03-27-2013, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
Bug. Not WAD.

It's kind of along the lines of what can happen in SB24 - only worse.

In SB24, you can get nailed by 9-12+ shuttles (if you try or if you're just mesmerized seeing so many coming at you). Even if you hit the TT as they land, it's as if the TT simply can't handle that many BPs on you. You'll keep getting hit by the BP procs even though it doesn't show there are any BPs left. Depending on how many you get hit with and how fast you die, this can persist after respawn.

It's not entirely the same as the DOFF'd BPs thing - with the SB24 BPs, the counter will keep resetting. One could see where if you were to add it all up though, you might start seeing the overall CD numbers folks are getting from the DOFF'd BPs.

The DOFF'd BPs appear to be doing that...but after a hearty bowl of Wheaties or something.

As far as avoiding them, the armed ones can make that a little more difficult. Crew limitations will obviously play a role in it - not too many can be launched from that decloaking BoP at point blank range.

But...how about the Bortasqu' Boarding Party Party Boat! 3600 crew to spare...bringing you a party when you least expect it!
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-27-2013, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
I forget how the Bio-Space and SNB recharge buffs affect this as well - weren't there reports of even longer CDs?
Those abilities do result in "longer" CDs, but only for as long as the debuffs are in effect. When the debuffs go away (whether it be through a cleanse, time, or respawn), the CDs go back to close to their original values. BP's mechanism appears to be different.

If I understand it correctly, we can think about it like this:

There's an internal cooldown timer for each ability. This timer regulates how long it is until the ability can be used again. I'll call the internal unit of the timer "timer-seconds", because it doesn't exactly match up to real-time.

When you activate an ability (say, EPtS), the base CD of the ability is added.
In this case: CD = 45 timer-seconds (ts).

Normally, 1s real time = 1ts lower on the timer. This is the base (100%) cooldown recharge rate. Suppose 15s pass in real time. Then:
CD = 45 ts - 15s * (1ts / s) = 45ts - 15ts = 30ts.
The CD timer you see in the UI reports the time until the ability recharges with the current cooldown recharge rate.
30ts / (1ts / 1s) = 30s. This is what you see in the UI.

Debuffs like SNB and the SS doff reduce the cooldown recharge rate while they are in effect. Essentially, time passes slower as far as the recharge rate is concerned.

Say we get hit by the SS doff. For 10s, our CD recharge rate is halved; 1s of real time = 0.5ts reduction on the CD timer. With 30s left on the timer, this halved recharge leads us to calculate:
Real time left to recharge: 30ts / (0.5 ts / 1s) = 60s. This is what's shown on the UI.

Suppose that we let 5s real time pass while we're affected. The internal cooldown timer is:
30ts - 5s * (0.5 ts / 1s) = 30s - 2.5ts = 27.5ts.
And the timer shown on the UI is now at:
27.5ts / (0.5 ts / 1s) = 55s.

Then suppose we let 5s real-time pass. The internal cooldown timer is:
27.5ts - 5s * (0.5ts / 1s) = 27.5ts - 2.5ts = 25ts
The SS doff's debuff has worn off, so the CD recharge rate isn't affected any more; we're back at 1s = 1ts. Thus, the UI shows:
25ts / (1ts / 1s) = 25s left for the ability to recharge.

This shows how abilities like SNB and SS temporarily increase the UI-displayed CD while they're in effect, but when they wear off the UI-displayed CD returns to normal.

However, BP works off a completely different mechanism. Instead of slowing the CD recharge rate, they literally add seconds onto the clock. There's no debuff that can be cleared; the additional timer-seconds on the CD timer simply have to be waited out. Hence, why BP's added CD stays even after respawn; although debuffs like SNB and the SS doff are cleared, the CD timers of all abilities are not set to 0.

(Can somebody double-check my work? This is based off what little I've seen as well as how the abilities are described in tooltips.)