Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 13,618
# 21
03-27-2013, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniosalieri View Post
I guess my point is you can't take kerrat as a measuring stick of balance.
Cryptic should actually add this as a loading screen tip. They should add it to every mission involving Ker'rat. It should be a Friday wallpaper. Etc, etc, etc.


"Wheeeee, this is kind of fun. Oopsie...my bad."
Fleet Admiral Geist, Klingon Science Officer
Arcadia, Benthan Assault Cruiser
Captain
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 615
# 22
03-27-2013, 05:20 PM
You are right there about Kerrat.

The thing I hate is the fact subnuc3, a hellishly powerful skill (No one has anything matching how destructive it can be) shouldnt be able to be stacked especially with a such a short CD.

I tried a slightly different setup earlier, retried the sci team. As I said earlier, it was being debuffed and put into countdown even before I used it. That was against a sci ship away from the pack, I was at distance and saw no shuttles.
I also hate the fact sci teams share a CD with engineer and tac team. They wear different coloured uniforms!
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 881
# 23
03-27-2013, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seansamurai1 View Post
The thing I hate is the fact subnuc3, a hellishly powerful skill (No one has anything matching how destructive it can be) shouldnt be able to be stacked especially with a such a short CD.
In higher level PvP and especially premade vs. premade, it's the strip that's the powerful portion, not the cooldown slow. The cooldown slow is a nice added bonus but ends up being immediately cleared by a half coordinated group of players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansamurai1 View Post
I also hate the fact sci teams share a CD with engineer and tac team. They wear different coloured uniforms!
That's something we can at least partially agree on. Having a 15 second global disproportionately punishes pugs who might feel obligated to have one of each ability because they cannot rely on team mates for clears. In a proper premade setup each player is min/maxed into only carrying one type of team ability (or rarely, two different types at the most) and team abilities are sent out when needed.

My proposal is to lower the GCD to 10 seconds for different types of team abilities while keeping the 15s GCD in place for two copies of they same type. For example, if I cast a tactical team it will place my engineering and science teams on a 10 second GCD, while another copy of tactical team gets the full 15s GCD.

This is consistent with the way every other ability that is a part of a larger family of skills works. For example, EPtS places every other kind "Emergency Power to" ability on a 15s GCD, but another copy of EPtS onto a larger 30s GCD. Target shields places a copy of target weapons onto a 15s GCD, but another copy of target shields gets a larger 30s GCD. Team abilities are unique in that they do not discriminate in this way between two copies of the same skill and merely related skills in the family.

I disagree entirely with removing the GCD between different types of team abilities all together, as it would cause a massive increase in healing power to the point it completely breaks the game. A 10s GCD works wonders because you're only increasing survivability for pugs who could then theoretically perfectly chain all three abilities without anything going to waste -- yet premades will still want to have each member min/max into only one team ability.
Behold, The Jorf Guide
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,416
# 24
03-27-2013, 07:01 PM
sounds like you need to go toe to toe with more science players.


its not magic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 677
# 25
03-27-2013, 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darramouss1 View Post
I'm relatively new to PvP and at first I got frustrated by particular aspects of the game. I've discovered that in order to be motivated to continue to PvP you need to accept the following...

1 - You will come across premades that will hand your ar$e to you on a silver, jewel encrusted platter, served by a manservant of the highest order. Unless you're prepared to devote a large chunk of your life to combatting them you'll need to learn to live with that.

2 - Fairness in classes doesn't exist and will most likely never exist. Subnuc is annoying, but having your shields and hull drilled in a second or two gives the ultimate advantage to the escorts.

3 - If you want to get better you need to ask people questions. If you choose to do so remember this little gem of advice. Just as you like people to be polite to you, be polite to the people you're asking. Saying something like, "You're cheating and I want to know how or I'll report you", will elicit hostility. If this happens, you have nobody but yourself to blame. If you're polite, chances are you'll get some assistance and maybe make a new friend.

Keep these in mind and you'll have a fun time.
Thats the right attitude.

Ofcourse, there is no such thing as pure balance, its too complex to ever make that true in a MMORPG. And indeed you are right, like the state of the game is now. Engi's are probably the least viable class to play atm. (Sure there are still players that rock it im sure)

Oh and yeah, im sure its great to show how good you can survive a 1v1 or pug in kerrat and never die if you do it right. For teamplay however;

APA/GDF SNB/SCAN is much better overall. Some accept it, some do not. But you always have a choice to play either.
Captain
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,158
# 26
03-27-2013, 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the1tigglet View Post
So here's my deal. Do us all a favor and go out and make a science captain max him out, gear him appropriately oh and two things. You HAVE to use beams and beams only, and you have to use a science ship.
Why does he have to use only beams? My Sci ship uses torpedoes...
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,416
# 27
03-27-2013, 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doffingcomrade View Post
Why does he have to use only beams? My Sci ship uses torpedoes...
My main sci uses cannons/turrets
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,129
# 28
03-28-2013, 09:15 AM
The problem is that STO in PVP is a team game. When you come across a decent team whether pug or premade you're in trouble if you're by yourself. When I pug I expect this. I go in hoping for a few kills but if it's a coordinated team that's good I'm happy with 1 kill.

Now when you're in a good team you're not that scared if the all evil SNB, SS, VM coming at you. Just last night I went on my healer and got matched against another premade that was sci heavy. Everytime I could i threw my sci team and clear my teammates who were nuked or scrambled. When someone got viraled I threw eng team. This on top of general healing hull and shields.

There are counters but no 1 build can counter everything. This is when teamwork comes into play.

If you want to run with us PM me in game @edalgo and we'll show you the other side of the table.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 969
# 29
03-28-2013, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doffingcomrade View Post
Why does he have to use only beams? My Sci ship uses torpedoes...
oh sorry, no I meant use only beams as energy weapons, some science ships can use cannons now.

It's because beams are nowhere near as effective and if that were the case in canon then the entire show would have every fed ship in cannon style weapons, if beams were really this bad they would not be standard Fed issue weapons. That's the point I was making. Adding to that the nerfed into oblivion science skills making it a pain to play. Battle scenarios that last entirely too long because instead of fixing the buff problems they nerfed the science captains in science ships.

He should be thankful they made this ability non-canon because it was supposed to knock systems offline.
I would like for the devs to open a poll/feedback thread on what exactly the players would like to see in the near future for the game.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 39
# 30
03-28-2013, 12:35 PM
Sci has always been OP. Yet some sci players will cry that all sci powers are useless and that its a tac world/galaxy meh whatever.
----------------
Veni Vidi Vici
Confucius says "A Panda is most dangerous when Sad".
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:54 PM.