Career Officer
# 31
03-28-2013, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon653 View Post
Actually been around almost two years, thought the anniversary was the one time I logged in right after the release, for all the other releases I have waited a few days before logging in, I wanted my Ambassador damn it!

Mmm, I also just wanted to say that I am not one of those gimme, gimme, I want it now types. The anniversary debacle, yeah I don't get to use that word nearly enough, but I understood that. But because they have had several problems with this sort of thing in the past I was just curious as to whether or not they had plans to help alleviate that.

Just wanted to clear that up
Quite alright, and stored in the record.

But no.. they are not prepared... somehow they mange never to be...

On the bright side, at least we dont get all the "bwaaaaa... I want refund because I could not log in for 6 hours" threads anymore.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports
Career Officer
# 32
03-28-2013, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjohnsonva View Post
When the new Trek Movie or perhaps let's say a really anticipated movie is launched that everyone wants to see it is not unusual to have to queue at the cinema to see it. I have seen queues for films go right out of the door and by the time you get to the ticket counter they are sold out, you have to wait for the next showing. Would people expect the cinema to build an entire new complex to cope with the opening night surge? No, of course not, you go on opening night you expect to queue, if you don't like the queue then leave it a few days and you'll be able to get it with little to no queue at all.
It is a good analogy, however, many theater complex out there do plan on running these movies on extra screens, at the least for launch and absorbing the initial rush. I do not know if it's something that can translate into the world of servers and IT infrastructure though...

SERVER NOT RESPONDING (1701s)
Rihannsu
# 33
03-28-2013, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Quite alright, and stored in the record.

But no.. they are not prepared... somehow they mange never to be...

On the bright side, at least we dont get all the "bwaaaaa... I want refund because I could not log in for 6 hours" threads anymore.
Thank Q for small favors I suppose.
Captain
# 34
03-28-2013, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalpen View Post
Billions maybe?
A lot of men think that small things are actually big.
Captain
# 35
03-28-2013, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aelfwin1 View Post
You're right .
I mean professional pride has gone out the window a long time ago , so what if this will be PR disaster # 376349980 ?

Just one more X on the belt .
This.

And being a Goldmember doesnt help. Yeah, you get in faster, but if the servers are lagging and choking up, everyone who is IN suffers. It lags and disconnects on the just and the unjust.

I'll just come to the forums on release day and laugh and read about the eye witness accounts of this release disaster. Whatever the launch day is, I'll just add 3-5 days to it before I try committing any serious time to it.
STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Zorro
"Captain, the entity appears to be A New Accord"
Rihannsu
# 36
03-28-2013, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaalom View Post
Thanks for the laugh op. Dont ask me why but reading your post made me laugh. In some screwed up sense its so true.

Cryptic what this person says is very true. At launch I do not recall running into a single player who did not want to play as the Romulans. I am sure many will come back just to check it out.
Anytime I like making people laugh.
Career Officer
# 37
03-28-2013, 03:45 PM
I will honestly wait a few days before logging in...just isn't worth the headache that I know this will be.
Community Moderator
# 38
03-28-2013, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon653 View Post
So does everyone remember the fiasco with the anniversary event? Queues to log in up to and even over 1000, constant lag, DC after DC?
Login queues are not a problem; or at least, not a problem you can get ahead of. If you buy servers to get 100% ahead of usage spikes, you spend tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars on capacity that will only be used for days, and then sit idle again for months or years. You don't want login queues outside of surges, but they're absolutely a sign of healthy growth when they occur after a major content expansion. This happens to the entire industry, with the exception of games that don't have queues and just have massive lag and constant server crashes instead. Login queues are not the problem, they're the solution.

BTW, those queues exceeded 14k, not just 1k, and would have peaked even higher if they hadn't turned off the Foundry to expand capacity for normal play.

Now, if they start getting login queues during "normal" peaks, they have a capacity problem. Such as, during spring break or around Christmas, if neither coincides with a major content release.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Rihannsu
# 39
03-28-2013, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
BTW, those queues exceeded 14k, not just 1k, and would have peaked even higher if they hadn't turned off the Foundry to expand capacity for normal play.
14k!? Seriously? Wow, I was lucky then.
Captain
# 40
03-28-2013, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbmoney View Post
Thank goodness someones on top of their game. I was worried I would have to take care of all the silly links.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.