Commander
# 11 o.o
03-28-2013, 11:28 AM
It is very unfortunate that the DEVs are subjected to the opinions of the kind of forum posts this community creates. If they where to listen to the community and their petty, random wants and needs this game would be a inconprehensable train wreck full of costumes and ship designs/teirs that break the structure.
If this game dose not develope some new, more intense modes of gameplay and become more focused on end game acheivments it will be laughed out of the MMO race as a home for the worst and most esoteric kind of RP community.
Dispite common opionion, this community is not a majority of RP players. We are gamers. Many of us may not be very smart gamers and may not have the capacity to formulate a healthy opinion for the DEVs to stand upon, and the needs of the many get crushed by the esoteric wants of the RP community and people who just don't know any better.
This game dose indeed lack focus. I don't even know who the 'bad guy' is and if you're referring to the Borg Queen as the bad guy I zerged her all nite long and she loved it. She isn't even mentioned until you can Q for her and even then there is no Borg story line to speak of. While she is an impressive battle and a great step in the right direction she is hardly enough. Champions has some very inventive boss fights we could borrow from. In fact, Champions has a lot we can use over here.
Career Officer
# 12
03-28-2013, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandukutupu View Post
I understood what the OP meant just from the title. STO is not only open ended but aimless.

Guild Wars has 3 campaigns and expansion with climactic endings. WoW has boss fights such as the Lich King. Star Wars: The Old Republic and DC Universe also have end game content and most mmos allow you to replay all the missions in a hard mode.

Many people have asked me who is the "bad guy" at the end of STO. There just isn't one. Without that goal to "go get the bad guy" many people won't continue playing once they get level capped or get tired of repetitive quest lines. This is why I recommend the Foundry for content. However some players feel that it is hard to find quality content in there.

Have Fun!
Well - STF wise (which has a Normal and Elite mode -- and while I too don't find Elite all that haerd, it is what is is) - the "End bad Guy" is the Borg Queen. <--- And this has been the only ST endgame for quite a while.

For the Romulan Rep stuff - currently, it's Tholians; but we may see something different once the "Legacy of Romulus" update hits.

And as someone who played EQ from 1999-2004, WoW from 2005-2009 I'm sorry, but I honestly don't miss the EQ (which was a REAL grind when I played) and/or WoW Style raiding paradigm myself (after over 65+ runs in Molten Core AFTER we had everything including Ragnaros on farm status -- and about 20 excursions into BWL - we were working on the third dragon when Burning Crusade hit.) - so I hope they don't really decide to go, that route as STO progresses.

I would still LOVE to see some much more challenging content myself - but I don't think that fits in with the overall casual appeal PWE/Cryptic want STO to have. Hell, even Blizzard has been casualizing and dumbing down aspects of WoW (I still have old RL guildmate frioends who play WoW and try to get me to come back - but I was never a real 'High Fantasy genre fan to begin with, and I'm done with WoW.)

But again, while I enjoyed my runs with friends on the old WoW 'loot pinata' (aka Onyxia) and the other two major 40 man raid zones (Molten Core and Black Wing Lair -- although to be fair, MC became more of a chore after the 20th or so full run/clear); I do hope it's a pradigm STO DOESN'T adopt going forward. YMMV.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says: "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Captain
# 13
03-28-2013, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by akurie666 View Post
Not exactly. Wow has 10-25 player raid dungeons of giant scale and difficulty. Why do we not have something similar? I don't like that people do not have to increase their skill to obtain the most powerfull gear and that a person with little understanding of the game, in time, can have MK 12 OMEGA and so on. Those items should be reserved for the most skilled players and earned through the most intense raids.
What is there for players who seek challenge besides pvp which is limited in game modes? Where are our epic boss fights with fat loot drops for the most skilled players? When will we truely seperate the men from the boys in PVE?
This is not WoW.

If I wanted to play WoW I would.

Finally they have created No Win Scenario which pretty much requires a premade to win and Hive Space Elite. Granted neither are truly difficult when you have the right group but then again....

All supposedly difficult WoW content is merely a gear check and I for one despise gear checks.

Do. Not. Want.

Lastly the one great thing about the good post WoW games is that they focus on the player(s) of the group doing the right thing. Letting a singular really good player swing the tide and make all the difference in the encounter.

WoW fights are all about not doing the wrong thing. Don't stand here, don't do this don't do that. Another thing I find annoying.

Seriously dude you can either rail against the intended casual focused design of this game all you want. It is not going to change. They would rather cater to the hundreds of thousands of casual paying customers than the handful of 'elitist' seekers such as yourself.
http://www.helpscout.net/75-customer...es-statistics/

Last edited by bareel; 03-28-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Commander
# 14
03-28-2013, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareel View Post
This is not WoW.
Seriously dude you can either rail against the intended casual focused design of this game all you want. It is not going to change. They would rather cater to the hundreds of thousands of casual paying customers than the handful of 'elitist' seekers such as yourself.
Sounds like the ranting of someone who fell behind once upon a time and never gained the skill to catch back up. If you're jealous of someone elses hard earned loot you should man up instead of having the DEVs remove diffculties or ruin what all other games have, an 'end game' with rewards for the most skilled players.

Last edited by akurie666; 03-28-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Career Officer
# 15
03-28-2013, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Sounds like the ranting of someone who fell behind once upon a time and never gained the skill to catch back up. If you're jealous of someone elses hard earned loot you should man up instead of having the DEVs remove diffculties or ruin what all other games have, an 'end game' with rewards for the most skilled players.
Well, thats just wrong.

I may be arguing with Bareel in another thread. As far as I'm concerned, an honest difference of opinion, being thrashed out in a tough but respectful way.

However, there's one thing I do not doubt.

Bareel knows his onions.

You, however, are clearly an onion not knower, who apparently finds it difficult that STO doesn't blindly follow the paradigm of other games that you enjoy.

Go play Wow, if Wow is what you want. STO is different, and difference is not bad.
Captain
# 16
03-28-2013, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Sounds like the ranting of someone who fell behind once upon a time and never gained the skill to catch back up. If you're jealous of someone elses hard earned loot you should man up instead of having the DEVs ruin what all other games have, an 'end game' with rewards for the most skilled players.
Sounds like the rantings of someone who needs to have better shinies in a video game than others to feel superior in some way.

If you are jealous of the players in this game having the same exact gear as you why don't you simply man up, dump a few hundred bucks into the game and get yourself a Bug Ship eh? Maybe that will help out the Epeen problem you seem to have.

Or you could simply find a way to fill that psychological need outside of a video game. Nah that won't happen so why don't you go play a game that does require actual skill such as a MOBA and ride your way to the top of the ladders and form a professional team to compete at real events against real humans instead of scripted NPCs that only require you to have the proper gear to kill.
http://www.helpscout.net/75-customer...es-statistics/
Commander
# 17 o.o
03-28-2013, 12:42 PM
I say that this forum community fears challenge and feels inadiquate for the task so they sabotage any chances of having what other more popular mmo games have. In fact, I bet monopoly money that most of you have been sent running from other, more difficult games with your tail between your legs on numerous occasions.
If you don't have what it takes to 'raid' then don't raid, but do not ruin the chance for those of us who want to raid because you can't handle the jelly and won't be able to sleep at nite knowing that we have better rewards because we are better players. In the long run, casual=boring.
FYI I play paintball.

Last edited by akurie666; 03-28-2013 at 01:01 PM.
Career Officer
# 18
03-28-2013, 01:01 PM
Quote:
I say that this forum community fears challenge and feels inadiquate for the task so they sabotage any chances of having what other more popular mmo games have.
Hmmm, this is what makes me think you don't understand human nature well.

Read other threads, get a feel for the sort of things other people make challenges of.

Consider the Klingons, a group of players with (frankly) less good kit than the Feds. Nevertheless they make something of it, they take the challenge for what it is. The average Klingon player can beat the average fed player in PvP.

You don't get that way by fearing challenge.

Quote:
In fact, I bet monopoly money that most of you have been sent running from other, more difficult games with your tail between your legs on numerous occasions.
If you don't have what it takes to 'raid' then don't raid, but do not ruin the chance for those of us who want to raid because you can't handle the jelly and won't be able to sleep at nite knowing that we have better rewards because we are better players.

This is what is known in the trade as an 'ad hominem' attack. Don't take on the argument, go after the arguer. It's what people do when they either know they've lost or simply can't think of a response.

Quote:
FYI I play paintball.
I bet you do.
Commander
# 19
03-28-2013, 01:03 PM
The above post is not even relevant to the thread. Good job...
Career Officer
# 20
03-28-2013, 01:09 PM
Quote:
The above post is not even relevant to the thread. Good job...
Yup, ad hominem alright.

You've avoided the arguments people have made against your uninspired idea.

You've belittled those who don't agree with you.

How about you address some of the counter points you've been offered?

Why should STO become a clone of games like WoW and have the end game content you want?

What, precisely, is wrong with a game that decides to make its combat less about the gear and more about the decisions made by players?

What, exactly, do you have against skill being the edge in the game, as opposed to equipment?