Survivor of Romulus
# 1 how do i change my @name ?
03-26-2013, 11:59 PM
for some reason my @name ( Chunter ) was considered bad and now i'm stuck with a badname @name.

no idea how to change it.
Empire Veteran
# 2
03-27-2013, 12:12 AM
you can't. It is like your email account.
The only way is to create a new account.
How to really behave in online forums with developers

Career Officer
# 3
03-27-2013, 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwefail View Post
for some reason my @name ( Chunter ) was considered bad and now i'm stuck with a badname @name.

no idea how to change it.
If it's actually considered a bad word somewhere - open a PWE support ticket and explain that to them and see what they do. Normally they WON'T change an @ name at all - but I have heard of cases where they've done it if they found the name was offensive to someone's group/culture, etc.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says, "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
03-27-2013, 12:58 AM
I have witnessed players receiving a new @handler name for much simpler reasons (like some large fleet leader got his name changed to @xxxfleet.com while xxx is of course not the right name, much later after creating his account). I would file a ticket, explain why you want it changed, and hope for the best.
"Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
03-28-2013, 02:21 AM
Still no answer from anyone in support,i'm still waiting for them to explain how Chunter is considered a badname,sending ingame mail is now a royal pain in the posterior.

Also would like to know how my ferengi captain name of MaximusLobus was considered bad.

However knowing the way cryptic support is (ie not very quick) i think i'm stuck with this @badname for a while and i'm gonna have to explain why my name has changed over and over again to everyone in my friends list.

I was subscribed for 991 days before they decided Chunter was a bad name,you think they would of decided that before then.
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
03-28-2013, 02:32 AM
quote from their naming policy

Character Name, Handle, and Fleet Names may Not:

Incorporate vulgar, obscene, hateful, defamatory language or imagery
Be derogatory towards race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, ethnic background or cultural background
Incorporate the name or image of a major religious figure or deity, nor any form of religious title
Be the registered property of any other company
Relate to illegal drugs or activities
Advertise any website, product, or service
Be designed to impersonate a real world individual
Be the name of any Cryptic Studios or Perfect World product, character, or employee (This includes Cryptic Game Masters)

all i want is someone from cryptic to tell me how @Chunter is offensive according to those rules.
Oh and changing my @name back would be a bonus too

Last edited by pwefail; 03-28-2013 at 04:04 AM. Reason: spelling
Republic Veteran
# 7
03-28-2013, 02:46 AM
It was probably flagged under the same censoring system that works on the in game chat, which means it was done automatically, maybe after a database update.
# 8
03-28-2013, 12:38 PM
Wow this one got me curious..... websters definition of chunter..... I'd bring this up to them

Definition of CHUNTER

British

: to talk in a low inarticulate way : mutter

Examples of CHUNTER

<in Hyde Park a clearly disturbed man was chuntering about something>

Origin of CHUNTER

probably of imitative origin
First Known Use: 1599
Captain
# 9
03-28-2013, 12:42 PM
It's also an unflattering derivative of an uncouth saying for female genitalia. Very popular as an insult in the UK. Particularly for people called Christopher.

Not sure I can explain more than that without getting banned or moderated. :-P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
Ensign
# 10
03-28-2013, 12:44 PM
I was muted for 24 hours without any explanation or warning and a week later, I still haven't received any explanation why it happened. I don't think PWE actually has any oversight of their moderators or any coherent customer service apparatus in the way we'd recognize it. Its a matter of just trying to make talking to them so extremely difficult that you just acquiesce to their way of seeing things. Some GM somewhere thought it sounded bad and forced you to change it without documenting why he did it or why it was bad, and now pwe has to give you the spin around so they don't have to explain to you that this scenario actually happened within a multi-million dollar company that you'd expect to have much better controls in place.