Starfleet Veteran
Personally, I find the UI to not be to my tastes, it looks a little too basic at this point, the colours look a little too simple and the popups are larger and seem to be more in the way than the current UI.

The login with character select is nice with the ship in the background and I also like the rotation of both character and ship in game, these two things are nice.

Overall I think this UI is a little cartoonish, a bit more on the Champions Online style than I would like, the UI works for CO, but I don't believe it would work well with STO.

Oh and colour changing would be nice too.

Last edited by asdfjkadfjkasf; 03-28-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Commander
# 2
03-28-2013, 04:10 PM
I have to agree, the new UI is absolutely hideous. It looks like it is from a game 15 years old. For the love of god please give us the option to maintain the current UI!
Captain
# 3
03-28-2013, 04:24 PM
I have to agree the interface ui is very simple and not as nice and functional as the current one imo. I do like the 3d ship in players ship interface window tho instead of a static image. Also the character selection screen is kinda nice to see ur ship but at the same time meh the bridge looked really nice and will be a shame to remove.

As far the interface goes on tribble right now, it looks like not even 50% done. If this is true then fair enough i will judge when its near 85% or better. But so far its not very nice and i really wouldnt like to play this game if it looked like this imo.

Gotta say tho i do like the new contact window when in space, it now has a bridge showing around the contact your talking to like your chatting via viewscreen. VERY cool. Tho the text and rewards sections need alot of moving around to make this work better as it stands is very ugly in design. I think one way i can try to help advise this is to seperate rewards info and images away from the mission description box i.e text should be in top, mission rewards underneath in a seperate with a clear line showing its seperate and then interface choicse on the bottom right or hell if u can another bottom seperator box and stick them in there. Would look far nicer imo.
Survivor of Remus
# 4 Let us Choose our UI
03-28-2013, 04:30 PM
Give us the option to change our UI. Under General, put UI Option:

In the Toolip
FED Classic (blue UI we all know and love)
KDF Classic (Red UI we all hate)
Lcars (Black Bulk UI, no ones gonna like)

THERE ARE NO DRAWBACKS FOR ADDING THIS...

Make everyone happy, let us use our own UI...
Captain
# 5
03-28-2013, 04:44 PM
It looks horrible.

The NPC chat boxes are ok in space, but on the ground it's a bit weird. I don't really need a viewscreen type experience for all the npcs I talk to. But it was a nice touch.

The colour scheme is all wrong and makes it hard to make out box edges and quite honestly looks like I accidentally put my computer in high contrast mode. Some of the pictures are nice and trek like, but they are over sized and seem to clutter the UI a lot more than the old ones. It's also very blocky and intrusive into game play, much more so than the old one.

On the plus side, some of the choice boxes are quite nice, as are the fonts. The mission window is also an improvement.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
03-28-2013, 04:44 PM
I actually kinda like the new one, reminds me of the old PE one a little bit.

Having options for keeping the old and new one though isn't actually as simple as you make it out to be. Right now, it isn't too bad, as no new features have been added, but as the game progresses and more features are added, making multiple UI skins for those actually would start to become problematic and create more work.

To be honest, I'd give it a few days of playing with the new UI to see if it grows on you, it's quite eacy to get a knee jerk reaction (not meaning this in a negative way) when something you are used to is changed. It's kinda ironic people have been screaming for a UI overhaul on the forums for years, and now when it happens people are screaming for it not to be done, the joys of working on MMO's :-P

My views are my own and may not represent those of Perfect World Entertainment
Captain
# 7
03-28-2013, 04:45 PM
Ignore this post. I got some info wrong.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'

Last edited by grylak; 03-28-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Captain
# 8
03-28-2013, 04:50 PM
This isn't knee jerk. Hating KDF for being Red is Knee Jerk.

This is god awful, high contrast mode. Maybe it suits you better, I dunno. But I hate this, I'd rather have the current KDF one all day long than this.

As I said before, some nice additions. But generally, it's a no from me.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
Career Officer
# 9
03-28-2013, 04:54 PM
I haven't seen the new LCARS interface, but I agree, it would be nice if they let us choose whether to keep the UI we have now or change it.
Career Officer
# 10
03-28-2013, 04:54 PM
I really hope this is a work in progress.. because as it is, it looks rather bad in my opinion
It's like being thrown back to 1995 or something. In space the small buttons such as for the
power levels and "fire all weapons" are really quite ugly, and the throttle, ship hp and shields
ui looks pixelated and cheap. The same goes for the minimap and the icons there, and probably
a lot more stuff that I haven't gotten round to yet. I will continue testing and get some more
feedback - this was just my initial impression.
------------------------------------------------
Joined in March, 2011. Lifer since December, 2011.

Last edited by thestormsong; 03-28-2013 at 05:37 PM.