Starfleet Veteran
# 21
03-28-2013, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
I cant agree its ugly. I for the most part like it. Its different and there are some areas that need work but the character creator looks fantastic, the character sheets all look very nice, the pop up windows are great.
Personally speaking, I find the popups to be a bit too large and intrusive and the colours overall a bit, simple, I do think it could do with some work. Yeah, my initial words weren't well chosen, I'd welcome an updated UI but I do think some changes would be welcomed.

The rotating of ships and characters as well as the login are both nice, something that would be another nice addition would be the ability to change it's colour.
Starfleet Veteran
# 22
03-28-2013, 05:24 PM
Whilst the UI is been overhauled, I'd like to make a suggestion that has been made several times in the past (and even hada mod made to do it)

• Give abilities in the trays colour coding so you can see if its a tactical, science or engineering abilty.

As it stands, many icons look very similar, the lack of colour between them can make identifying a skill at a glance quite hard (more so in a combat siutuation). Maybe just altering the background colour behind the icon, or maybe the border of it, to red, blue or yellow, could help tell icons apart alot faster. Maybe even change the icon logo to the colour of the branch, but keep the background colour faction specific? (I'm aware this latter idea might require more work though as it would require alpha masks for altering the hue).

Eitherway, this is a feature many have brought up over the years and this seems like the best time to actually address it, what with there been a UI overhaul and there are members of the Dev team currently assigned to it ;-)

My views are my own and may not represent those of Perfect World Entertainment

Last edited by suricatta; 03-28-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Captain
# 23
03-28-2013, 05:34 PM
Yeah similar to the colors of the border for doffs i.e white, green blue and purple, not so much the colors there im talking about but the border for them icons style but for tray powers would be nice as the fellow above said, blue for sci, yellow or orange for eng powers and red for tactical ones perhaps or some variation. I have seen mav from sto radio use a mod that does this and it looks good and i would hope to see something like that come this way.
Rihannsu
# 24
03-28-2013, 05:38 PM
UI Feedback -

- I EXTREMELY DISLIKE not being able to spin my character during the "Race & Class" section of the character creator. You ought to be able to spin the character from any point when making a character to observe it properly. Please do not take any bad ideas from Neverwinter.

- There seemed to be in-continuity to picking faces / hair in the character creator's basic editor. If you merely hover over a face, you see a preview of it actually on the model before selection. But, if you try to hover over hair ... nothing happens. You need to actually SELECT hair to see it. Why is this? This seems unusual and inconsistent with how the other column works.

- I feel like if I open up the advanced character creation options, the basic character creation options (by that I mean the columns holding pictures of people's faces and hair and what have you) ought to go away. I don't need them. I'm not using them. The only thing they serve to do while I'm in the advanced option is obstruct the view of my characters shoulders and arms which I find kind of annoying. The UI is good but the basic mode makes it feel very cramped around my character. I understand if that's necessary, but in the advanced section? It's really not necessary at all.

- Hovering over the buttons next to "Torso Scaling Options" in the advanced editor yields messages such as "Reset All Values of Head" and "Randomize All Values of Head". The randomize value buttons don't work, and dragging the sliders around didn't work either: the values wouldn't "stick". The only way they'd stay in place is if I use the arrows to adjust them. Likewise, hovering over the buttons next to "Arms and Hands Scaling Options" yeilds "Reset All Values for Base Complexion" which I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with, and also next to "Lower Body Scaling Options" the button tool tips read "Reset All Values of Earrings". ... huh.

- After picking a basic head for the Alien part of the character creator, and then trying to select pieces from the advanced section, none of my selections would stick.

- Where's the save/load costume button? I need a save/load costume button please. Please. Please please please or RAAAGGE.

Inside the Game

OH MY GOD UI IS AMAZING OMAHADGFHGHSDGHGHHJSK!

I can really find no complaints here. Granted I haven't delved into the chat system yet but ... everything else looks great.

If your bridge officer pops up in space, he should have a bulkhead or technical screen behind him, not look like he's in the viewscreen.

I don't think using Green as the color of player ship's names is successful. It's too dark and too much associated with Romulans to make sense. I recommend changing it back to blue.
I am a Cheestah.
Check out my Foundry missions
Fed: "To Helna and Back", "Rema Donna", "Animations with Helna", "Mudd's Weapons", "Waiting for Wednesday", "Monolith"
KDF: "Time the Enemy", "Time the Ally", "Time the Traitor"
Rihannsu
# 25
03-28-2013, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehavraha View Post
UI Feedback -

- I EXTREMELY DISLIKE not being able to spin my character during the "Race & Class" section of the character creator. You ought to be able to spin the character from any point when making a character to observe it properly. Please do not take any bad ideas from Neverwinter.
^^^ agree with that completely.

I like the new ingame UI though I wish the colours were a little more vibrant, a little less flat perhapse. It is also very possible that I would simply prefer another colour than the orange I have set for my KDF.

The Pictures on the UI/HUD are a little dark, I would prefer them to be lighter colours. As they are black right now they contrast alot with the HUD, which itself contrasts with the black of the space around my ship.
Rihannsu
# 26
03-28-2013, 05:49 PM
I think it looks great so far, very refreshing!

I like the flat-ness to it, as opposed to the rounded gradients of the current HUD. The green/black outlined rectangles in the background look great.

The buttons could do with some work, a lot of them look very 2D right now. And some of the rounded-edges need smoothing out.

Being able to spin characters in the status screens is nice. And seeing the ship in the character selection/login screen is a great touch too.
---

Last edited by atseearr; 03-28-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Career Officer
# 27
The character creator is getting stuck a bit, but that's probably more a bug than an intentional change. Then new character creator blew my mind, and I want to marry it. The same goes for the UI. It's not bright, bulky, or really flashy. It's toned down, it's DEFINITELY gotten smaller in some cases, and it seems to run better. It's also drop-dead gorgeous, and I LOVE the red alert changes. It's a simple beauty, and it really just feels better. The shade of green for friendly targets is a little disorienting, but you get used to it. This is the best thing to ever happen to the UI. If LoR is more of this quality of work, I'll die of excitement.
CHARACTER GRID (@Lord-Ice):
___ |___ _ Fed ____| ____ _KDF __ ____| Rom
Tac_|_Thomas Hale_| __ __Illusion _____| Silence (K)
Eng | ___Antilles _ _| _ Mirror Rygobeth__| N'Vek (F)
Sci _| __ Rygobeth _| _Lukor Son of Q'Tar | Devala (F)
Career Officer
# 28
Agreed about the tailor, not too happy with it at all, the old layout with the new UI should be fine. As for the UI, I think it should be brighter and the icons doesn't feel like they go with the rest of the UI. Just IMO.
Lieutenant
# 29
03-28-2013, 06:17 PM
principally, i like the new UI, but it needs some additions.First of all, Players need to have the opportunity to select their own colors. I for myself would prefer the TNG/VOY colors (Orange, blue, red, purple and so on) but i know, there are others loving the nemesis easy blue theme like we have at the moment. so please let us chose.

Next thing is, that there are still too many angle buttons. in LCARS style, they need to be round. at least a bit more. at the moment, it really looks a but too simple.
Republic Veteran
# 30
03-28-2013, 06:27 PM
According to the LOR page, there will be colour pallets to select from, I guess they're not implemented yet.

http://sto.perfectworld.com/legacyofromulus

Quote:
Choose the HUD color palette that works for you. Experience new and improve UI screens with easier to read options and enhanced interactions.