Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Lt. Commander
Just wondering, is it only the rare version of these missions that can get you a strange alien artifact on a critical?
Career Officer
# 2
03-13-2013, 06:08 AM
If I may: http://www.stowiki.org/Strange_Alien_Artifact. So yes, it is a rare mission.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-13-2013, 06:29 AM
It doesn't say whether it is the RARE VERSION of the assignment which gets you the artifact. Remember there are two versions of it. A rare which is 20 hours and the other ones which are uncommon which are 20 hours. It does say that the mission gets you- so I'm guessing they mean any version.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-13-2013, 07:00 AM
The various "Return Artifacts" assignments CAN give you strange alien artifacts, but it's pretty rare. In my year or so playing STO, it's only happened once.
Career Officer
# 5
03-13-2013, 07:22 AM
It has been a while since I last did this DOff mission so the memory is admittedly a bit hazy. Nonetheless, You can usually find it in or around Beta Ursae and the according nebulae. In contrast to my previous statement, the mission is considered Uncommon.

http://www.stowiki.org/Assignment:_N...re_Commodities
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-23-2013, 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcostik View Post
The various "Return Artifacts" assignments CAN give you strange alien artifacts, but it's pretty rare. In my year or so playing STO, it's only happened once.
It's happened twice to me in the last month- and I haven't done very many.
Survivor of Romulus
# 7
03-25-2013, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedman70 View Post
Just wondering, is it only the rare version of these missions that can get you a strange alien artifact on a critical?
Let me clear this up, as an avid doffer and an artifact collector.

Artifacts are rewarded from the following missions:

"Negotiate Additional Delivery Of Rare Commodities" - a 4h trade mission, rare, which can be found in Cardassian space (Orange sectors and clusters on the map). It has a cooldown of 4 days, and grants an artifact on success. In order to run this mission you must be level 40, and have completed the first mission in the chain (negotiate delivery of rare commodities)
- It requires 3 shapeshifting lockets and 3 jevonite.

The other missions to get artifacts don't all share the same name, but all start with either "Recover Artifacts from...", "Collect Artifacts from...", "Salvage Artifacts from...", "Study Ruins on..." - These missions are 20h uncommon exploration missions. The don't give you artifacts very often, but they grant either 1 or 2 alien artifacts when you get a Critical Success about 1/3 of the time. That's a rough guess from my experience, but it's 1 in 3 crits will get you an artifact. I've gotten 2 artifacts a couple of times, but it's extremely rare. Maybe 1 in 50.
Career Officer
# 8
03-29-2013, 03:40 PM
I have unlocked the Negotiate on 3 toons kdf/fed and find it in the same place when I see it. I am having trouble finding the initial mission on other toons. I just have trouble find it.. been to all sectors in Eta and clusters. Is it more are then the unlocked mission or do you need to do another mission or get t4 trade first?
Ensign
# 9
07-04-2013, 02:03 PM
So I have the Strange Alien Artifact in my inventory and tried to find the officer on my ship to handle the quest without success.

My officer is Romulan and the descriptions I've found for locating the science officer don't seem to apply to the interior of a Romulan ship.

I'm sure someone has done it on the Romulan side so any help would be welcome.
Starfleet Veteran
# 10
07-04-2013, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by svana17 View Post
So I have the Strange Alien Artifact in my inventory and tried to find the officer on my ship to handle the quest without success.

My officer is Romulan and the descriptions I've found for locating the science officer don't seem to apply to the interior of a Romulan ship.

I'm sure someone has done it on the Romulan side so any help would be welcome.
I had this problem too! I couldn't find the science officer whatsoever, in the end i simply mailed it to my fed :/

This seems a bit of an oversight.

Perhaps the developers where so busy making the pretty singularity core they forgot?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"We won't go back, you don't know what its like in our Universe, the original timeline had gone, JJ Abrahms is everywhere"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rylanadionysis View Post
just shut up