Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > The Art of Star Trek Online
Login

Closed Thread

Career Officer
# 91
03-25-2013, 07:22 AM
Yeah, you guys are right. They probably won't take away customization. It's just that CO has one of the best character creators around. STO has less options, but it's still quite good. NW is way, way below STO in terms of how to make your character look. I was actually taken aback since this is the company that prides itself on customization. Also the fact that they charge 600+ zen to recolor your outfit seems so contrary to the whole "Cryptic is about customization" thing. Well...I suppose they never said anything about that customization being free...meh. Anyways that's why when I saw talk of putting the NW system in here my first reaction was "NOOOOOOOO!"

-Lantesh
Since Feb. 2009
Rihannsu
# 92
03-25-2013, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lan451 View Post
Yeah, you guys are right. They probably won't take away customization. It's just that CO has one of the best character creators around. STO has less options, but it's still quite good. NW is way, way below STO in terms of how to make your character look. I was actually taken aback since this is the company that prides itself on customization. Also the fact that they charge 600+ zen to recolor your outfit seems so contrary to the whole "Cryptic is about customization" thing. Well...I suppose they never said anything about that customization being free...meh. Anyways that's why when I saw talk of putting the NW system in here my first reaction was "NOOOOOOOO!"
That's the wierd part.... the dye packs in NW aren't used JUST on your clothes. They're also used on a variety of other things that change visuals, such as body armor, or whatever your class gets instead of body armor.... Control wizards get fuzzy robes instead of real armor....
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Ensign
# 93
03-25-2013, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpalelena View Post
That depends on your graphics settings, on just how well you can use the editor.
I've got the graphics cranked to max and believe me I've tried to use the editor. You just don't have much choice when it comes to eyes, mouth, nose etc. That means your toon (unless you make them freakish) will look pretty much like everyone elses.

Now check out this short vid highlighting character creation in Guild Wars 2...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMzth2plFho

There's a big difference in quality and choice.

Character creation is a big deal for me. If I can't get the character to look the way I want or envision I find it tends to be corrosive to the whole gaming experience. I mean in an MMO I'm going to be staring at this character for hundreds of hours potentially.

Last edited by obelusdoom; 03-25-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Captain
# 94
03-25-2013, 11:46 AM
You can adjust things like nose and cheek here too.

Maybe using an alien race does give those options more "power" though.
Captain
# 95
03-25-2013, 12:50 PM
This is looking uglier by the minute. The only thing I liked about the NW Character Creator was the different eye and body types, everything else looks terrible.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 96
03-25-2013, 12:55 PM
I cant see the tailor changing too much as far as designing your character's appearance is concerned since all the old school options will still be in the foundry.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Captain
# 97
03-29-2013, 08:20 PM
Soooooo..... anything about this? Dstahl didn't say much about this.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Starfleet Veteran
# 98
03-29-2013, 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
Soooooo..... anything about this? Dstahl didn't say much about this.
He never says much about anything, just uses a lot of words not saying it...

***Disenchanted***
Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
Captain
# 99
03-29-2013, 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpacknz View Post
He never says much about anything, just uses a lot of words not saying it...
Pretty much this exactly. From what's on tribble, it's the same old character creator, but with a different UI that kind of makes it feel cheap. I was unimpressed so far, but hopefully they'll add more for the May release before then.
Captain
# 100
03-30-2013, 01:33 AM
Seems like the only change is a different UI and the lack of the save or load outfit ability.

There are also more "presets" that you can use to create a character quickly.

However, as of now the "advanced" settings is still there for us fans who like to design the character slowly and carefully.
Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
Closed Thread