Lt. Commander
# 101
03-30-2013, 10:46 AM
What makes anyone think they will make such adjustments when the creator of the Titan cant get Cryptic to make corrections on the model?
Captain
# 102
03-30-2013, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoncal View Post
What makes anyone think they will make such adjustments when the creator of the Titan cant get Cryptic to make corrections on the model?
they dont really need to.
making the .obj files available to community members, similarly to foundry so that players with the necessary skills can fix/mod them to be patched in later would get them the corrected models/textures etc.

unless the mesh errors are result of the renderer or model conversion ...
as it turns out, an intrepid would lose a fight with a connie.
and thats canon.
! the power of plot compels you.
Captain
# 103
04-07-2013, 06:48 PM
I agree. The community, like in Star Trek Bridge Commander and other games, should be given the opportunity to improve the look of the existing ships. Cryptic's devs can pick and choose which user made creation they like, and implement that. Zero work for Cryptic, modders gain experience and reputation for their talent, and we get better ships.

The only question is, why hasn't this been done already?

stardestroyer001, VA Explorers Fury | Email me for a Pro-Galaxy sig!
My Useful List of STO Forum Threads, Ship Builds & More! | My Forum Gripes
Foundry: A new series coming soon! | PvP: PvP Boot Camp, Notebook Project Almost Done!
Ensign
# 104 Terrible ship models
04-07-2013, 07:48 PM
This issue seems only to matter to modelers, the rest of us care more about the bugs.
Captain
# 105
04-07-2013, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardestroyer001 View Post
I agree. The community, like in Star Trek Bridge Commander and other games, should be given the opportunity to improve the look of the existing ships. Cryptic's devs can pick and choose which user made creation they like, and implement that. Zero work for Cryptic, modders gain experience and reputation for their talent, and we get better ships.

The only question is, why hasn't this been done already?
Legalities. Some people would sue, even if the Terms of Service state they won't get paid.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 106
04-07-2013, 08:33 PM
I wish people would stop comparing this to a single player game, it's one thing to add modded files to a single player game for personal use, it quite another to add files to a commercial multiplayer product for public consumption. No mmo that I know of lets users submit modified object files to the game. The primary reasons being the legal aspects of property/intellectual rights, etc. Some people might get it in their heads that they deserve some kind of financial compensation for their submitted designs even after having agreed to do it for free, others for whatever reason might plagiarize the copyrighted material of other entities. Everything included in the game has to meet design specifications for model complexity, file formats, animation mechanics, etc. Additionally CBS vets everything added to the game to maintain the integrity of the franchise and would also have to approve everything submitted by the public as well. So to avoid a major load of legal and technical headaches they simply can't outsource to the public. They could hold competitions for designs as was done for the Odyssey but that's as far as it is ever likely to go.
Ensign
# 107
04-09-2013, 12:53 AM
Yet another thread where an educated and well-informed person brings up a valid complaint that is researched and thorough, and then all the STO fanboys jump in to blindly protect the developers and claim they've done nothing wrong. STO does have mistakes. Trying to attack those who bring them up is not going to make the game any better.

On that note, there are also numerous errors on the texture and window placements of the Nova, Nova Refit, and Nebula class models (that's Science Vessel, Science Vessel Refit, and Adv. Research Vessel for the casual players). The Nebula Class ship should also be firing its torpedoes out of the Mission Pod up top, for both fore and aft launches. It currently only fires out of the pod in the aft direction, while forward the torpedoes shoot out of some vague area near the deflector dish, despite there being no torpedo launchers there.
Commander
# 108
04-09-2013, 01:37 AM
I have to admit, that is one well-documented observation on the part of the OP. I have noticed the off-center models, but as long as it doesn't interfere with the game-play I am willing to let minor things slide. That being said, getting the models correct would make for a more beautiful game.

Legacy of Romulus - Closed Beta - Round 1 Playtester
Ensign
# 109 Time Issues
04-12-2013, 07:17 PM
Sure we all want better ship models, but the devs cant just sit and make them all day. We can complain, but it will not change the fact that the games biggest update is coming out in about 2 months. That update still needs lots of work (i am assuming), and i would rather have a new faction than a few minor issues on the sovereign fixed. Of course there will be those who say "Well i want ____ not that." but models can wait.

We should eventually get the models we want, i want them too as i am a galaxy flyer. But they can wait a few months!
Captain
# 110
04-17-2013, 07:16 PM
Why have better ship models in a game?...Why the hell not?

Tribute vid to the venerable Constitution Class from YT, using Star Trek Bridge Commander with some mods.

Bridge Commander is a very old game from 2002. Yet fans have continuously given this game love with mods expanding the game. Among the mods of course are better ship models.

The video linked above is from 2008, using then-current mods for a then-6 year old PC game. Modern PCs can do a whole lot better now. And it's not like STO has gigantic fleet battles anyways.

Why not have spectacular AND canon-correct in appearance ship models in STO? Why the hell do people around here seem to gladly settle for far less better looking, inaccurate models, especially with canon ships? It amazes me that people settle for mediocrity.

Why NOT have spectacular and correct models for classics such as the Constitutions, Mirandas, Galaxies, Sovereigns, D7 / K'T'Ingas, Vor'Chas?