Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Gameplay
Login

Captain
# 11
03-27-2013, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangolight View Post
Actually, according to the the Path to 2409, Federation dual citizenships didn't start happening until 2398. The first was a Ferengi geologist named Rhea.

Not sure if that fits into canon or not, but it's canon for the purposes of the game.
Say NO to mandatory Arc!
Captain
# 12
03-27-2013, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
People can join Starfleet without being a Federation citizen, as long as they get a letter of recommendation from an officer. Remember Nog?
It makes me wonder about Worf. Did he grow up as an green card alien or was he granted citizen ship when he was young?
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Republic Veteran
# 13
03-27-2013, 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
We can always just call it Red and Blue.
Stay away from Caboose...

So in may we will have "red blue and Green" factions instead of "Fed, Klink, Rom"
Joined Sept 09.

Curse you Archived Post.... you stole all my Ideas.
Lieutenant
# 14
03-28-2013, 05:40 PM
Quote:
It makes me wonder about Worf. Did he grow up as an green card alien or was he granted citizen ship when he was young?
Well I don't think he was a "dual-citizen", as he was probably no longer considered a citizen of the empire after his family was killed, he was adopted by earth-folks, and his father blamed for the massacre. Or something.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-30-2013, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilarta View Post
This is something I've never really understood.

Yes, I know Cryptic labelled the faction Federation, but it's a very inacurrate name.

Because we're not actually playing as Federation characters!

We play as Starfleet characters.

The Federation is the generic term for civilians, Starfleet is the military arm.

It would be like going up to a member of the Navy and calling them a civvie.
Starfleet "characters" are from the Federation (and citizenship doesn't matter, they represent the Starfleet, therefore the Federation) as much as the US Navy members are americans. I dont understand ur confusion.
Empire Veteran
# 16
03-30-2013, 05:10 PM
Cause us Klinks rather call you guys FEDs than STARs
"Don't Say A Word" About The Empire!
It DOES Need Attention
We Don't Whine, We Bring Up Issues On A Firm Stand

Empire Veteran
# 17
03-30-2013, 05:13 PM
Quote:
We can always just call it Red and Blue.
Im My Mind, thats really bad to do. Lable someone by color.... "If your Blue You Good. Red You BAD!" Just like this... man I cant really say it but lets just say "Before Martin Luther". Color does not show who you are. It is just sterio-typed thoughout our lemoned lives. Please, don't use color terms atleast in this case cause I know it means "Good and Evil" in your minds.
"Don't Say A Word" About The Empire!
It DOES Need Attention
We Don't Whine, We Bring Up Issues On A Firm Stand

Career Officer
# 18 your right
03-30-2013, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtk142 View Post
Not quite true. It's more like calling someone in the Navy "American". Federation, in this case, would be their citizenship.
Your quite right here and im sure that would cover most of the player characters in the game. For those that are worried about "green cards" let us consider the being a part of the federation faction means you are at least allied with and fighting for the ideas of the federation (through the military arm - starfleet) regardless if you are actually a "voting member" of the federation.
Republic Veteran
# 19
03-30-2013, 06:19 PM
I really want to know where the other K in Klink comes from ?? Serious there's only one K so why does the so called short version get two K's it makes no sense?!?!?!...There is a G if anything it should be Kling...like how Worf has said in the show.

Career Officer
# 20
03-30-2013, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirtdd View Post
Starfleet "characters" are from the Federation (and citizenship doesn't matter, they represent the Starfleet, therefore the Federation) as much as the US Navy members are americans. I dont understand ur confusion.
Different kinds of gameplay.

If I was playing as Federation, I'd be in an unarmed cargo freighter, my missions would consist of transporting cargo around the galaxy and calling for help from Starfleet when I get attacked!

Do we play like that?

No, because we're playing from the Starfleet perspective.

In the TV show, even the Klingons say Starfleeter, not Federatator.

So does every other military power I think.

Which means that Starfleet is indeed regarded as a seperate entity, not part of the Federation at all.
Starfleet even appears to operate independently of the Federation Council at times, which would imply their control over their military arm is limited.

I guess Cryptic never really worked that out.
Hence why they just called us Federation without really thinking about it.