Career Officer
# 31
03-30-2013, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzagiow View Post
There is a reason why the dominions founders use vorta as an overseer that controls the white that keeps the jem'hadar loyal. So in effect the dominion would only need to be vorta and jem'hadar. The dominion actually would make a very good pvp faction if ever added
True, but it wouldn't hurt to have a couple of Dominion allies. The Klingons have them (and their ships); and we all know that a Dominion faction would need a full set of ships. Why work solely on Dominion designs when you can throw a couple of Dosi or Son'a ships in there?
Republic Veteran
# 32
03-30-2013, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash525 View Post
To be honest, as far as a 4th faction goes, they'd be stupid to put the Cardassian and Dominion together... again. We've already been there with DS9. Last I checked, the Cardassians aren't in any position to be their own faction (they'd have been better off aligning them with D'Tan to be perfectly honest).

I'm all for a Dominion faction; provided it is FULLY unique, and follows some Gamma Quadrant themed story. I don't want a mere 'lets invade the Alpha/Beta Quadrant' again. That would just be dull and unoriginal. I think the Dominion have enough races to make them a working faction; the Dosi (mentioned above), the more obvious choices of the Vorta & Jem Hadar. At a stretch you could also include the Son'a and Breen as C-Store additions.

But yeah, let's not talk too much about this until Cryptic have fixed the Romulan faction.

Hah, ain't this the truth.
It would make more sense for the cardassians and romulans to form an alliance and since both are rebuilding their empires/republic/union rather than romulans getting ripped apart choosing fed or kdf and making a mockery of the '3rd faction'
Career Officer
# 33
03-30-2013, 04:07 PM
Quote:
It would make more sense for the cardassians and romulans to form an alliance and since both are rebuilding their empires/republic/union rather than romulans getting ripped apart choosing fed or kdf and making a mockery of the '3rd faction'
For what it's worth, I would have fully supported this idea. I even made a very in-depth thread about it some months back, but most people shot the idea down because it wouldn't be 'true-romulan'. Guess they're stuck in the same boat either way now though, as we don't have a true romulan faction still.

Edit: Here it is; http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=496411

Last edited by flash525; 03-30-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Republic Veteran
# 34
03-30-2013, 04:14 PM
Quote:
For what it's worth, I would have fully supported this idea. I even made a very in-depth thread about it some months back, but most people shot the idea down because it wouldn't be 'true-romulan'. Guess they're stuck in the same boat either way now though, as we don't have a true romulan faction still.
It's a great idea. I think in the mission mine enemy one of the intel terms says the sela had a secret meeting with the true way. Would have been awesome if that was the beginning of negotiations to form an alliance. It actually would have made greeting romulans and cardassians in the game as well as in independent 3rd faction. None of this rubbish splitting concept. But I understand exactly why romulans and cardassians wanted their own faction and still do!
Career Officer
# 35
03-30-2013, 04:20 PM
Quote:
It's a great idea. I think in the mission mine enemy one of the intel terms says the sela had a secret meeting with the true way. Would have been awesome if that was the beginning of negotiations to form an alliance. It actually would have made greeting romulans and cardassians in the game as well as in independent 3rd faction. None of this rubbish splitting concept. But I understand exactly why romulans and cardassians wanted their own faction and still do!
They could have worked this one of two ways;

1) Have a 3rd faction centered around a Militaristic True Way/Obsidian Order & Tal Shiar Alliance ~ more a military approach; stirring up trouble with both the Federation & Klingon forces.

2) Have a 3rd faction centered around a civilian-based group; D'Tan and his Romulans allied with Lang and her Cardassians ~ both groups looking to rebuild their once proud empires. Again, they'd not need the use of a fleet system as such, and it would have been a great way to implement both the Cardassians and Romulans without the need to involve them in a Federation/Klingon War.
Republic Veteran
# 36
03-30-2013, 04:23 PM
Quote:
They could have worked this one of two ways;

1) Have a 3rd faction centered around a Militaristic True Way/Obsidian Order & Tal Shiar Alliance ~ more a military approach; stirring up trouble with both the Federation & Klingon forces.

2) Have a 3rd faction centered around a civilian-based group; D'Tan and his Romulans allied with Lang and her Cardassians ~ both groups looking to rebuild their once proud empires. Again, they'd not need the use of a fleet system as such, and it would have been a great way to implement both the Cardassians and Romulans without the need to involve them in a Federation/Klingon War.
Both of them could have worked and both of them ideas would have worked better than what's lined up for the romulans right now
Captain
# 37
03-30-2013, 04:40 PM
the "war" has been back seated since early game and should be rolled out of the main story.. a new khitomer accord or alliance treaty could open the game up a lot. Besides that, peace with the klingons is like war with most other species in any case... Stillhave the skirmishes and threats and then you could introduce more difficult and effective "peacekeeping" missions like picard used to have to go through every 3rd episode or so...
Rihannsu
# 38
03-30-2013, 04:59 PM
Quote:
There is a reason why the dominions founders use vorta as an overseer that controls the white that keeps the jem'hadar loyal. So in effect the dominion would only need to be vorta and jem'hadar. The dominion actually would make a very good pvp faction if ever added
You could easily justify this as having members of "subject" races report to Vorta admirals.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Lt. Commander
# 39
03-30-2013, 07:44 PM
The whole 'True Way alliance with Sela' has me thinking the
Cardassians will be a playable species for the Mol'Rihan Republic
down the road somewhat. What with the Hirogen too, as well.

But about the Dominion playable sub-faction: that'd certainly be a
distant sight, in terms of development. Although it's more than easy
to picture how it'd go, idea wise, if another rebellion was to happen.

Hell I'll throw a free concept out just for this, right now:

Odo splits away from the Great Link and goes on to lead a
separatist sect of the Founders, who have been influenced
by Odo's report. They gather allies in dissident Alpha Jem'Hadar,
the Breen etc. And hope to find reinforcements within the KDF/FED.
Lieutenant
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
Well, when you consider that the Rom Faction is basically what Dan talked about a year, or so, back: a Micro-Faction, I do not see an issue with more species becoming Micro-Factions in the future.

In this timeline the Cardassians have already petitioned to join the Federation, so you probably wouldn't want them as a Micro-Fraction. I can see the True Way falling into the category, though - along with the Undine, Mirror Universe, Ferengi, and so on.
Hmmm. I am not too sure the matter here is whether it would have "much sense" to have them separated as a Micro-faction. The key question to ask ourselves may be instead:

WHY would anybody want to play a Cardassian?

For myself, as a casual player: simply because I love them. The "faction" could even consist of only three planets and two rubbish old stations... But to be able to customize my character so that its race tag reads "Cardassian", select an uniform and starship with the right look, and an orange/sand LCARS color scheme... yes. I would probably make it my main character, even having to start from scratch.

To play a Cardassian, I would even consider taking up a subscription - which I never even cared doing after playing the first month "free" when the game was released!

Like me, I assume, there would be many more... and since the PW developers care about getting people play more and spend money however possible, I kinda expect it to be offered some day.
Dunno when, but I'd say it is just a matter of time.

The next question/matter being, therefore, how could they BEST implement Cardassians in a way that would make everyone happy.

Now, I dunno if any of you has ever played World of W, since it has a quite different style and gameplay... but I cannot help thinking about the pandas, starting on their own island and then having to choose whether to join up with the Alliance or Horde.

Personally, I would just LOVE a Cardassian character story that start off somewhere in the past compared to the current STO timeline, and offered some choice that would influence the character's stand (Reputation!) with the already existing factions, OR the True Way up to a point when they would actually become able to join them.

Of course, reputation with the different factions would realistically have to be different from the start... for example, I expect it would have to be MUCH easier to join the True Way (it could be a quest chain which leads to that faction if/when accepted at any point, even switching sides from another previously chosen faction? Besides, we have seen Cardies switch sides a lot of times...) or be accepted in the Federation (exploration and supply missions which would quickly unlock a number of other already-existing missions upon completion).

Then of course, there could be still the option to start working with the Romulans (perhaps one could be approached by the new Tal Shiar upon reaching certain skill levels?) or (most difficult of all, I would expect) even the Klingon Empire (to whom I assume one's worth would have to be proven in battle against their enemy).

Far-fetched? Probably. But for the members of an empire which not only has been torn apart, but also has already shown for several decades to have been ready to switch sides as best suited them, I think the Cardassians would best work starting "neutral" and then being allowed to join/switch sides.... buying the "switch" from the C-store, I suppose, or in alternative putting in a LOT of reputation-farming work.

Last edited by elora13; 05-10-2013 at 09:54 AM.