Survivor of Romulus
# 211
03-30-2013, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianm63 View Post
the old UI is the new UI with a different colour and less bloom (less bloom give better performance but most people dont pvp so dont give a damn about UI performance).
While it is very similar, the 'new' ui actually introduces a *lot* of black borders which simply aren't there with the current ui. My layout on the the tribble side is identical to my layout on holodeck, yet on tribble everything overlaps. It is unsightly and horrendous to use.
Besides, I don't even have bloom enabled

Quote:
I dont know how you cant distiguish .The old one had blue buttons on blue border and the new one has blue buttons on black border.How is blue on blue easier to distinguish than blue on black?
I am not complaining about the colours. If you would read and comprehend my post (it is a big post, so I'll cut some slack) it is not about the colours and it is not about distinguishing between the old and new.

The problem is that on the new UI a lot of the smaller buttons have had their icons changed so that the icons are almost identical. Look at the power distribution buttons in space and tell me you could tell which one is which out of the corner of your eye while in combat?
The current icons are visibly different, the new ones are not. This is what it boils down to, not colours are you seem to think.

Quote:
btw the original sto UI was more or like this one we have now.In beta sto had a UI very similar with what is now on tribble server ...no one complained about it but they changed it and when the game was released people start complaining about the change.
That is all well and good, but this argument simply adds weight to my assertion that the new UI is a step backwards in terms of usability.
If cryptic wants to add this new UI to the game then fine. But please devs, please give us the option to switch to the current UI.

I would rather use a slightly uglier UI that is easier to work with.

A "hot sister" analogy for you.
Which sister would you marry? The "smoking hot but dim" sister or the slightly less hot sister who has a masters degree in nuclear engineering?

Imo, this change is a change just for the sake of it and a missed opportunity. The new UI provides no improvements in usability or in efficiency. With this UI 'upgrade'* Cryptic has a chance to radically improve this game with a UI that is redesigned for improved usability. As I stated earlier, I prefer an ugly UI that I don't have to fight in order to make it obey my commands.

*It's even posted as part of the hype for the expansion! Look at Page 3 of the features. I quote

"Choose the HUD color palette that works for you. Experience new and improve UI screens with easier to read options and enhanced interactions."
It is entitled "Improved UI".
There was a sig here, but I gave up. Thanks {REDACTED}

Last edited by captainoblivous; 03-30-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Captain
# 212
03-30-2013, 05:13 PM
I finally had the chance to play around with the new UI on Tribble. Kudos to thomasthecat for all the work he's put in

• I really like the clean look of the LCARS-inspired design - I understand that certain elements have ragged edges / poor anti-aliasing, but as other have mentioned this is meant to be a Work In Progress (WIP), and it makes sense to have rough graphics for quick prototyping. I'm sure this will be rectified in the final release.

• The change in the UI during space combat is quite nice, but maybe a little too subtle - perhaps a slightly brighter shade of red?

• The in-game font has sort of grown on me, although it would be nice to see a return to a true LCARS-style font.

• In the loading screens for FED, I would have prefered a lighter shade of blue for the text rather than the yellow.

• The only major negatives are the NPC dialogs:

• Whilst the viewscreen frame for space NPC contacts are a nice touch, it's somewhat jarring to have to speak to my own Bridge Officers that way (especially those who players have technically assigned to bridge stations)

• The flatter and wider aspect ratio results in just the head and neck of the NPC being visible, hiding whatever costume customisations the game or Foundry NPCs would have.

I would thus like to suggest the following improvements to the dialogs:

• Both the background and the viewscreen frames should be selectively applied depending on the NPC and the player's current location:

- Player in space map, BOff aboard player's own ship: no viewscreen, animated LCARS bridge station background

- Player in space map, NPC aboard player's own ship: no viewscreen, generic starship interior background

- Player in space map, NPC NOT on player's own ship: viewscreen, faction/location specific background

- Player on ground map, BOff aboard player's own ship: no viewscreen, animated LCARS bridge station background

- Player on ground map, BOff on same ground map: no viewscreen, appropriate faction/location specific background

- Player on ground map, NPC on same ground map: no viewscreen, appropriate faction/location specific background

- Player on ground map, NPC in space: no viewscreen, appropriate faction/location specific background

I would presume this would require two additional variables for each dialog instance:
        - One to toggle the viewscreen frame on or off
        - One to reference an appropriate background image

• Along the same lines of the previous point, if and when player customisation of ship interiors becomes a reality, perhaps the viewscreen frame could more accurately reflect on the player's ship class/decor choice? The current default is the Galaxy-class viewscreen, but BoP and Intrepid-class viewscreen choices could be nice too.

• The NPC avatar could be reduced in size so that the upper torso is more visible - the extra space at the sides is, in my opinion, an acceptable compromise.

Game features I'd like to see improved / expanded: Better Ship Interiors // BOff Costume Slots
Captain
# 213
03-30-2013, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainoblivous View Post
While it is very similar, the 'new' ui actually introduces a *lot* of black borders which simply aren't there with the current ui. My layout on the the tribble side is identical to my layout on holodeck, yet on tribble everything overlaps. It is unsightly and horrendous to use.
Besides, I don't even have bloom enabled
So if you add new textures over the same object makes that a new object?
the current blue UI uses alot of bloom which you cant turn off in options.Go type /showfps 1 in chat then alt+f12 to remove the UI to see the difference in frames per second .Then go on tribble and do the same thing .You will see that the UI on tribble is less demanding ..that is important when you have many stuffs on the screen.
Btw they even said is a reskined UI,not new UI .Guess a Blue Volvo is not Volvo if you paint it in other colour

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainoblivous View Post
The problem is that on the new UI a lot of the smaller buttons have had their icons changed so that the icons are almost identical. Look at the power distribution buttons in space and tell me you could tell which one is which out of the corner of your eye while in combat?
The current icons are visibly different, the new ones are not. This is what it boils down to, not colours are you seem to think.
Take a screenshot at 1.00 UI scale both tribble and holodeck at the same resolution and you will see that the power buttons have the same size and the only think bigger are borders of the power tray and some menus.
Commander
# 214
03-30-2013, 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neotrident12 View Post
I have to agree, the new UI is absolutely hideous. It looks like it is from a game 15 years old. For the love of god please give us the option to maintain the current UI!
Wow..... I tried it today and found it was almost impossible to use. I had a very hard time reading some of the content due to the color scheme. And some of the new icons just didn't make sense.
---------------------------------------------------
Sadly, I will NOT become a lifetime member due to PWE's absolutely horrid "customer service." If PWE corrects this, then I will reassess.
Survivor of Romulus
# 215
03-30-2013, 05:44 PM
I have to say, I -REALLY- want an option to keep the old-style UI looks. I don't care about LCARS, this new one is hideous, IMO. It looks very cartoonish and wastes metric tons of space on my screen.

Beauty is, as they say, in the eye of the beholder. That said, I suppose there may be someone out there who likes the new look better. But I feel it's a huge step in the wrong direction in terms not only of looks but in functionality/ergonomics. I can't see as much actual useful information on my screen due to all the needless bordering and backfilling.
Live long, and prosper.
Republic Veteran
# 216
03-30-2013, 06:13 PM
I have only 2 problems with the UI.

1. Its too sharp, I'm not sure how to discribe it, its too easy to see pixles on the edges I think? Needs more pixels on curves. Softer edges.

2. Default blue colour scheme is too dark. Voyager and the TNG colour schemes are fine, but the default Blue is too dark.

Last edited by tuskin67; 03-30-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Captain
# 217
03-30-2013, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskin67 View Post
1. Its too sharp, I'm not sure how to discribe it, its too easy to see pixles on the edges I think? Needs more pixels on curves. Softer edges.
The term would be "inadequate anti aliasing".

I suspect this may be intentional on the part of the devs - but only for testing purposes (it's quicker to use low-quality images to prototype UI during testing). I'm certain the final version would smooth out those ragged, pixelated edges.

Game features I'd like to see improved / expanded: Better Ship Interiors // BOff Costume Slots
Commander
# 218
03-30-2013, 09:12 PM
I know some people like the LCARS look but frankly it makes the game feel much less modern because the "new UI" is based of a design made over 25 years ago.

IMO the design should not have been based on the old LCARS system but instead should have been what it would be if TNG was about to air its pilot episode TODAY.

The idea that new colors can be added to the new UI to make it better is flawed. The problem many people have is with the shape of the UI.

A good UI is one that nobody notices because its not in the way and does not take center stage over the game.

One of my biggest complaints of the new UI is that the icons for all our abilities and player conditions are too small and can not be made larger without making all the other "bulky" parts of the UI much much larger and that much more in the way of the view of the game. The other problem I personally have is that the UI now looks like somebody made a box and put text in it where we used to have simple outlines like what is around the health indicator during ground combat.
Career Officer
# 219
03-30-2013, 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalani2 View Post
I know some people like the LCARS look but frankly it makes the game feel much less modern because the "new UI" is based of a design made over 25 years ago.

IMO the design should not have been based on the old LCARS system but instead should have been what it would be if TNG was about to air its pilot episode TODAY.

The idea that new colors can be added to the new UI to make it better is flawed. The problem many people have is with the shape of the UI.

A good UI is one that nobody notices because its not in the way and does not take center stage over the game.

One of my biggest complaints of the new UI is that the icons for all our abilities and player conditions are too small and can not be made larger without making all the other "bulky" parts of the UI much much larger and that much more in the way of the view of the game. The other problem I personally have is that the UI now looks like somebody made a box and put text in it where we used to have simple outlines like what is around the health indicator during ground combat.
I really thinkg someone has been playing WoW and been using Xperl a lot. There is ALOT of Xperl Style themes going on, and it's just aweful. I hated xperl in WoW and I'll hate it here
Commander
# 220
03-30-2013, 11:34 PM
The UI is really in development in a few places but for the most part it seems relatively complete in game. The login screen however is still a bit to go, I had my shuttle displaying instead of my ship. (yea that bug rears its head once more).

As far as the in game UI goes the new one is a bit better in my opinion as its not so much same color on same color as the old one.

Bridge view screen notification is quite a bit larger, not so good when your still in a fight but its a lot nicer than the old one for nearly any other scenario.

My comments to its overall looks are the black background probably needs a bit more of a texture other wise it just seems to be really empty area on the screen and has a slightly odd feel because of that.