Survivor of Romulus
# 71
03-30-2013, 05:13 PM
Because Cloaked Federation ships are non canon and thus Abomination in the eyes of some of us
Captain
# 72
03-30-2013, 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
And how many of those come from people who actually use cloaks?
Using Cryptic metrics I'd guess about 80%?

Quote:
If the Cloaks were so OP, how come people use things other than Defiant-R, Galaxy-X's, and BoP's?
Like raptors and battlecruisers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
Because Cloaked Federation ships are non canon and thus Abomination in the eyes of some of us
Non canon? We already established they were canon. You're a man of logic. Surely you can see the logic in establishing a brand new treaty. And the one thing the feds would desire most from such a treaty? Cloaking. There's a war to fight after all.
Captain
# 73
03-30-2013, 07:21 PM
Is making a sith Wesley character canon ?
Captain
# 74
03-30-2013, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpalelena View Post
Is making a sith Wesley character canon ?
I'm no real expert. We should ask lizwei.
Career Officer
# 75
03-30-2013, 07:30 PM
we can talk about canon all day long only if it has something to do with TV shows so on ask for this game and canon .......... game stop being canon they day the galaxy X was added the day the T5 defiant added the day you can be a hypocrite federation captain who hates The Tal Shiar or who ever for doing god's knows what with borg technology but they them self fly around with borg modid out ship and last game stop being canon they day the first BUG ship was seen with the prefix of I.K.S. or U.S.S.

so at the end of the day this game is fan fiction
swimwear off risa not fixed
system Lord Baal is dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
Captain
# 76
03-30-2013, 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
Like raptors and battlecruisers?
Look, I assure you, using a cloak is much harder than people think it is. You are far more likely to get yourself killed using one I guarantee it.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Career Officer
# 77
03-30-2013, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
Now that the Federation and the Romulans are going to be allies in the war against the Klingon empire, it's high time that Starfleet utilize their Romulan friends to accentuate each others' strengths.

Of course I mean ... it's time for the Romulans to start equipping their federation allies fleet with ...

CLOAKING DEVICES!

Have at it canoneers! I want your thoughts on the potential for gain here for both the Romulan Republic and the Federation in their war efforts. Romulan Cloaks on Fed ships! We know it can happen. Kirk stole one. Pressman installed one. And the Romulans made one work on the Defiant. Been there, done that. Testing stages over. Time to mass produce this capability. And make PVP more interesting!
I haven't read the whole thread just yet. But my initial response, IMO, would be yes. To something which better incorporates into the game story the cloaking devices already available to the numerous Defiant-class and Dreadnaught-class vessels of Starfleet. The Path to 2409 clearly doesn't support their inclusion. So the Galaxy-X may well be the product of events specific to the 2409 story missions.

Though I'm not prepared to say the flood gate should be open to even more, newer Starfleet classes with cloaking devices just yet.

Maybe once the Romulan backstory is better established, consider expanding upon the early Pegasus research into that phase-cloak that some of us are curious about. Let it be part of the story progression with a future Season update.
STO Forum:
Where the Human Adventure is Just Beginning!

Where you can also catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
Give the Art Team time to fix the K't'inga << Link
Exploring STO Since Pavement.
Lt. Commander
# 78
03-31-2013, 03:55 AM
I wrote this in another thread:

Imho, cloak in the way implemented now is far to effective. I say that playing Klingon as main faction. You have to invest alot to penetrate the cloak of KDF vessels. However, if done so, they are highly vulnerable, which is a bad thing too.

I think, giving cloak the way it works now to another faction is just making things worser then they already are.

Invisibility in MMORPGs is very difficult to balance out even on a single class, like rogues. I find it insane to give 90% of playerbase of an faction invisibility.

A solution would be a counter ability bound to any fed ship like cloak is bound to most of KDF vessels. This ability would put you in red alert and boost your sensors so that at equal sensor/stealth skill cloaked vessels can be detected up to 5 - 8 kilometers.

At the same time, if Klink vessels are cloaked, their shields stay online, however, cloak put them in red alert not allowing them to travel with full impulse. These type of cloak also should not give an damage bonus on uncloak.

Exeptions would be Bird of Prey class vessels, that should have en enhance cloaks which is effective like cloak now, because these ships are heavily relying on stealth attacks. Shields of BoP class will stay offline for cloaking, damage bonus stays.

Of course, since KDF and FED vessels are currently stat wise balanced due to the fact of invisibility, KDF vessels need to be adjusted in their stats. In addition, Kerrat spawn need to be fixed. Often, as a KDF player, you have no chance to re-spawn at all if not using your cloak, because of spawn camping Fed players.