Captain
# 361
03-26-2013, 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendeleev View Post
For crying out loud just right lick and IGNORE someone rather than using this idiotic feature to block someone from talking even to their friends.
Yeah, I got bad news for you: You know that your proposed course of action, simply using /ignore, does, in fact, do exactly the same thing...yes, you'll also get banned because people /ignored you. The "Report Spam" and "Ignore" buttons are actually the same thing.
Captain
# 362
03-26-2013, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doffingcomrade View Post
Yeah, I got bad news for you: You know that your proposed course of action, simply using /ignore, does, in fact, do exactly the same thing...yes, you'll also get banned because people /ignored you. The "Report Spam" and "Ignore" buttons are actually the same thing.
^This the report spam just flags a GM.
It's automatic and you aren't the first person to complain about it. Frankly I think the game could do without the automute, ignore is sufficient without putting everyone at the mercy of the mood of the crowd.
Ensign
# 363
03-26-2013, 08:01 PM
The above poster is exactly right that automute should be removed. There are a few guys whose names I've learned who sit on ESD chat and do nothing but hate on fleet advertisers every single day. I see them verbally going after guys trying to start fleets too... Being at the mercy of a few angry individuals is not a pleasant thing.... STO please fix this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyrexianhero View Post
Yes, a GM almost certainly had nothing to do with it. A certain number of players, rightly or wrongly, chose to ignore you in a set time span which put a 24 hour silence on you. There are a number of well-known problems with this -- including not being able to talk to friends or fleetmates, or even mail items to yourself.

This happened to me at one point and I know firsthand how frustrating it is. The best thing to take away is that it will be over in <22 hours and that if someone ignored you over something you said, they will not be doing it again in the future as you'd still be on their ignore list.
Not being able to talk to friends even.... or in the fleet channel I created for cross faction use.... nothing... is really exceedingly frustrating. I had things planned, events etc. and now I can do nothing at all.

And yes they can do it again. Just right click and UNignore, then right click ignore/spam report again.

This is an EASILY abused power given to every individual, mature or not. Not a good call on STO's part... Currently everything I want to do with friends in game I cannot. I can't even socialize. And having happened late in the evening, I won't be able to anything again all day tomorrow. I'm gonna just shut the game down and I will definitely not buy more zen in the near future...

--added--
Read some back posts after my post got merged into this thread. So... this can also lead to a permanent ban if people spam mute you enough times? Wow... thats just.... absurd.

--added--
Since I have some "free time" I have been reading some things.

PWE signup, Terms of Service, 10. User Conduct
(h) Impede or disrupt the Service of the normal flow of game play or dialogue or in interactice Areas on the Site or use vulgar language, abusiveness, use of excessive shouting (ALL CAPS) "spamming" or any other disruptive or detrimental methods in an attempt to disturb other users or PWE employees;

Yet, people do these very things daily, and have access to the autosilence (and eventually BAN) function with which to "impede" and "disrupt" the normal flow of game play and dialogue, abuse unsuspecting players, and also spam their "anti spam" messages (some I've seen are even in all caps...)

PWE/STO please remove the auto silence/ban feature. Let people simply use ignore if they do not wish to see or hear from someone again. Or even close their chat window? It is obvious that this is abused, normal game business (fleet recruiting, and even people just standing at the exchange as noted in an early post) are getting silenced for just being present and doing normal game things. THIS is where STO needs to step in and preserve the actual gamers from harassment and abuse. Seriously, I was considering a life time purchase, the idea of all the perks and 500 zen free a month... but there is no way I will ever do such a thing since people can just have me banned for playing the game normally.

I've played lots of games from WOW to D&D Online etc. I've spent alot on games I felt I could get "permanent" things in (at least things that would endure on my account for more than just the month of a subscription). But this one "feature" can totally take away everything you pay for and work for at the whim of whoever, whenever... I just cannot believe this was ever included.

Please remove auto silence/bans. Ignore is more than enough to deal with this.

-------added next day----------

Still under the ban of course. STO I cannot believe you have this "feature" in the hands of every one who signs on. Totally cut off from enjoying the game, talking to friends, etc. at the whim of random people....

I laughed the other day when I saw a guy in chat admit he created a second account just to talk in public chat with. I could not understand why that was. Now I understand... Now I am not laughing at him any more. I really appreciate everyone in the game having the ability to silence (and eventually) ban me at whenever they feel like it, even trolls and the spammy "anti-spam" group in chat. (Yes, that is sarcasm.)

Is it fair to report for spam those those who constantly hate on and spam "antispam" messages? I get tired of those more than the advertisers. It really ruins people's game play and fun. Advertisers for fleets I expect, but this tearing into others in ESD chat all the time gets old.

----added---
Well. Bans finally done. But now my interest in this game has really been deflated. Piddled on my characters with no real interest or desire to play when I could at any moment randomly be silenced again and totally cut off just for doing normal things. Maybe my interest will revive. Its a shame, I was having a lot of fun and picking up momentum. Now I don't even want to do anything.

Saw one guy spamming adverts and pmed him to let him know what could happen. He raged and flamed me in PMs... which was so kind of him. Yes. This system really works wonders...

Whatever. Fix it or not. Its your mess STO.

- Dissatisfied customer.

Last edited by mendeleev; 03-27-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Captain
OK, something has to be done here.

I know that alot of times it is annoying to see a bunch of chat spam asking you to join there fleet and blah blah blah... But there is another side of the coin here. We are trying to promote and recruit members into our fleet. Best way to do that? Advertise! That is how Advertisement works! you spread knowledge of your product so that people know you exist, then they can come to you, knowing that you might have something they want.

However, when you log into the game, Beam into ESD, and think "You know, I'll just place an ad here on my way to the bank." And then seconds later you get chatbanned for spam... THEN something is messed up with the system. When you can chatbanned someone for spamming within the first minute they log into the game.. then the system is broken.

I know how it happens to. A few fleets post ads all at once. Someone gets anger and says "The next ****ing ad I see is going to get BANNED!" Then, someone outside the situation walks in, post an innocent ad, and gets banned.

Having a unique channel where we can post ads is NOT a solution. Just like having a channel full of infomercials doesn't help. No one watches them, and thus no one gets what they want. Also, the main point of the ads are to get NEW players, Players who just joined the game, and have no idea what is going on, like how to join global channels, or what IS a global channel.

Here are somethings to keep in mind, on both sides.

1) Fleet ads are not malicious in nature, anymore than a Ad to join the Military. They just want you to join the fight. If you are offended by the message, A verbal warning would be nice. A tell to the person saying "Hey, Watch the Spam!" is enough to slap some people.

2)When posting ads, space them out, even from other fleet ads. Wait a few screens before placing an ad. This is NOT time based, it is based on how fast the chat is going. At least wait 10-15 minutes. How long does it take to re-see a commercial when you watch TV? Use that as a guide. Also be aware when changing zones. Some people follow you and will see the message again.

3) Also, mix it up some, Change the ad to fix the stream of Zone chat
"Gosh, this is lame"
"You know what is not lame? Joining FleetOps http://s13.zetaboards.com/Fleet_Operations Need a fun, helpful fleet? Give us a try! We cover all aspects of play & are willing to help improve your game. PM or visit site"

4) Be mindful of the intentions of spammers. Spammers want to jam up the chat with useless and mindless data. Ads are trying to tell you something.

Anyone have anything else to say? I promise not to ban you
Captain
# 365
03-31-2013, 02:21 PM
I know a person who was silenced everyday .some guy used his friends to ban chat that person everyday.He wrote to support but is know that cryptic has no support which is pitty since the game is getting better and better and the quality of support and rules are stuck in 1900.

Last edited by adrianm63; 03-31-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Captain
# 366
03-31-2013, 02:54 PM
I would try writing to PWE in your place.
Commander
What can you do if you feel you're being harassed by other players abusing the ingame chat system.
What if its a in game chat moderator who's harassing you.
Who do you talk to? the Support links are dead 'n if you do get through no response ever comes back.

So who do you turn to?

Are you forced to retaliate?
Treating this abuse with abuse?
Or just give up and go spend money and time somewhere else.
Career Officer
# 368
03-31-2013, 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake1771 View Post
What can you do if you feel you're being harassed by other players abusing the ingame chat system.
What if its a in game chat moderator who's harassing you.
Who do you talk to? the Support links are dead 'n if you do get through no response ever comes back.

So who do you turn to?

Are you forced to retaliate?
Treating this abuse with abuse?
Or just give up and go spend money and time somewhere else.
I don't chat really. So I've never suffered "harrassment". What do you mean by "harrassment". Is this person just banning you? Are they typing something to you? Your question is pretty vague. If it were me, I'd just take screenshots of chat. If your not doing anything and are being "harrassed" then that would be proof. I'm sure Cryptic would know who the "moderator" is that is harrassing you(after all they have to make the person a moderator) and could act on it. JMO.
"There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people."-Commander William Adama
Lieutenant
# 369
03-31-2013, 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasuscic View Post
I don't chat really. So I've never suffered "harrassment". What do you mean by "harrassment". Is this person just banning you? Are they typing something to you? Your question is pretty vague. If it were me, I'd just take screenshots of chat. If your not doing anything and are being "harrassed" then that would be proof. I'm sure Cryptic would know who the "moderator" is that is harrassing you(after all they have to make the person a moderator) and could act on it. JMO.
Dont be naive..you know exactly what this person is talking about. This game is full of ******* and morons, and most of them sit on ESD and find someone in chat saying something they do not agree with and then those people along with their moron friends will right click on the victims name and choose "report spam" this will place a 24 hour ALL chat ban on that player, and there is nothing they can do about it.

It is pathetic. I wish I could meet some of these folks in person.
Lt. Commander
# 370
03-31-2013, 07:54 PM
Merge/move to more quickly hide away from notice in 5.. 4.. 3.. 2..

To Boldly Go