Lt. Commander
So, you are building stuff at the other side of the map, high in the air, whatever.
What 90% of the players do now? Move the spawn around or keep running to the Point of Interest.
Wrong!

Try to align objects at elevated position? Most people jump around, turn low gravity on, add something to stand on etc.
Wrong!

Want to know the current positions's X/Y/Z coordinates? Use /loc.
Not outright wrong, but almost.

Behold:

/freecam 1
This detaches the camera from the player. With the WASD keys, the mouse and the mouse buttons, you can fly around very fast to wherever you want to. No clipping, you can fly through anything. And the best thing is? The camera stays where you left it. Next time you load up the map, it will be at the same spot. If you want to get something right, you line up the camera and keep going in and out of preview. To turn off, use /freecam 0 .
As a bonus, it is good for landscape shots without the player.

/Showcampos 1
It shows the exact position of the camera at any given moment in the top left corner. Map name, X/Y/Z to 3 decimals and rotation angles. Useful on its own, but best used with the freecam command.
Captain
# 2
03-27-2013, 04:03 PM
Cool. I'll try those out tomorrow.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Captain
# 3
03-27-2013, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendra3780 View Post
So, you are building stuff at the other side of the map, high in the air, whatever.
What 90% of the players do now? Move the spawn around or keep running to the Point of Interest.
Wrong!

Try to align objects at elevated position? Most people jump around, turn low gravity on, add something to stand on etc.
Wrong!

Want to know the current positions's X/Y/Z coordinates? Use /loc.
Not outright wrong, but almost.

Behold:

/freecam 1
This detaches the camera from the player. With the WASD keys, the mouse and the mouse buttons, you can fly around very fast to wherever you want to. No clipping, you can fly through anything. And the best thing is? The camera stays where you left it. Next time you load up the map, it will be at the same spot. If you want to get something right, you line up the camera and keep going in and out of preview. To turn off, use /freecam 0 .
As a bonus, it is good for landscape shots without the player.

/Showcampos 1
It shows the exact position of the camera at any given moment in the top left corner. Map name, X/Y/Z to 3 decimals and rotation angles. Useful on its own, but best used with the freecam command.
Wow. Thanks Pendra. I didn't know these commands existed. You should make a blog post at sbugc. Lots of folks will find this info useful.

The Y value is correct on showcampos? No conversion or math required?

Edit: wow, this works great. Just knowing these commands existed would have saved me about 1000 hours during the last 2 years. Devs, would it have killed somebody to tell us about them?

Last edited by kirksplat; 03-27-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Career Officer
# 4
03-27-2013, 06:45 PM
Captain
# 5
03-27-2013, 07:57 PM
This is also great for getting screenshots for promo images. Especially since you can't demorecord until the map is published.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Captain
# 6
03-31-2013, 04:05 PM
It sucks that showcampos still requires us to do the math. The y value also looks nonsensical.

But, I'll use it if I'm already in freecam mode.
Career Officer
# 7
03-31-2013, 04:20 PM
Whoa. What else can I say but THANK YOU.

"Sometimes you have to do things that you hate, so you can survive to fight another day."
Captain
# 8
03-31-2013, 05:05 PM
I have yet to try this but i can already tell this thread should be a sticky!
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Survivor of Romulus
# 9
03-31-2013, 07:12 PM
You sir, have won the internet.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-01-2013, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
It sucks that showcampos still requires us to do the math. The y value also looks nonsensical.

But, I'll use it if I'm already in freecam mode.
You gave me an idea. So I made a nice little program that
- Takes the values from the corner
- OCRs it
- Does the math
- Displays you the values in meters.

I didn't stop there. I added a function to zero the Y value on the map. A list to which you can save the actual coordinates with a line of text for notes. And it can also calculate X/Y/Z differences between 2 points.

http://sto-advanced.com/STOPosCap.jpg

How it works in practice:

Fly to an misaligned object.
Save the coordinates and note the name/reminder of the object.
Fly to the position, the object should actually be.
Save the coordinate again.

Keep doing that, until you noted everything you want to move. Everything is in meters, of course.

Go back to edit mode and use the list to make the adjustments. With that you save a lot of time, paper, brain capacity and going back and forth of the preview mode.

If I wanted to be really anal about it, then I could make it completely math free. You select the object you want to move, select the line in the list that corresponds to that object and hit Modify. The app would calculate and change the X/Y/Z values automatically.

You need MS Word for OCR. That OCR which is not really good quality so the app can miscalculate occasionally. However it is still quite accurate.

Last edited by pendra3780; 04-01-2013 at 02:12 PM.