Rihannsu
# 151
03-28-2013, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by felderburg View Post
That gets into another deeper issue of "pay to win" - should people that have more money be able to buy items that give them an advantage in PvP?
just an advantage? certainly

an advantage that lets someone with little skill easily win against someone of much higher skill that would otherwise beat said lesser skilled player? (pre-nerf tricobalt mines being a good example) definitely not, but people did still pay for that item/race/ship/whatever, so it shouldn't be nerfed into utter uselessness, which is what threads like this generally try to make happen

if cryptic can find a way to modify the trait just for PvP without affecting it in PvE like they did for the damage on the compressed cryo launcher, i'm all for that, but if that's not possible with the way traits are coded, i'd rather they not jump the gun like they've done with other things
Quote:
[Combat (Self)] Your Kumari Phaser Wing Cannons - Overload deals 128698 (67705) Phaser Damage(Critical) to Borg Bird-of-Prey.
don't mess with the andorians
Quote:
Originally Posted by starswordc View Post
If it walks like an idiot, talks like an idiot, and acts like an idiot, it's a frakking idiot.
Captain
# 152
03-28-2013, 04:25 PM
Just to make things clear, I don't want things to be nerfed into utter uselessness. I'm just listing the current issues that Ground PvP has. I'm not saying "I want this kind of fix", "I want this fixed this way" by any means.

I really care about Ground and I want things to be balanced and fun at the same time, just like any other devoted PvPer.

Regarding the Jump Height of Caitians/Ferasans, it's an issue, you can escape almost all movement debuffs by just jumping, how fair is that?. You can easily access areas where other players cannot follow without using external methods like a Cover Shield, etc, how fair is that?.

Borticus said that it's an animation issue, but it's unlikely to see a fix before May.
Division Hispana
www.divisionhispana.com
Captain
# 153
03-29-2013, 07:20 PM
From Redshirt patch notes

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=600771

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0niusrex View Post

[*]Resolved some issues with expose:
  • The Omega Force Personal Shields will no longer proc an expose on the wearer rather than the attacker
  • Smoke Grenade will no longer expose the player rather than the target.
  • Battle Strategies will no longer expose the player instead of the target.
  • Overwatch will no longer expose the player instead of the target.
  • The M.A.C.O. set bonus Tactical Readiness Network will no longer expose the player with its proc instead of the attacker.
  • Reroute Power to Shields will no longer expose the player rather than enemies that were firing at the user.
[*]Battle Strategies will now remove the debuffs from Suppressing Fire.
[*]Cover Shield will now properly benefit from the Generators skill.
[*]Improved the tooltip for Cover Shield to indicate that it gains increased Hit Points from the Generators skill.
  • This is a text change only.
[*]Dampening Field now reduces Environmental Damage, such as Cold, Fire, and Radiation, in addition to Energy Damage.
[*]Weapons Malfunction no longer eliminates the Damage Immunity portion of the Stasis Pistol's secondary attack.
And my lovely Ground is getting fixed!
Division Hispana
www.divisionhispana.com

Last edited by mrkollins; 03-29-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Captain
# 154
03-29-2013, 07:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfang240 View Post
just an advantage? certainly

an advantage that lets someone with little skill easily win against someone of much higher skill that would otherwise beat said lesser skilled player? (pre-nerf tricobalt mines being a good example) definitely not, but people did still pay for that item/race/ship/whatever, so it shouldn't be nerfed into utter uselessness, which is what threads like this generally try to make happen
who do you give the 'pay to win' too?
if you grant a payed advantage that benefits one class you are automatically excluding the others, which is why p2w dies from its own customer gouging short sightedness.

only valid places for paid items if you want to avoid short sighted self destruction, are in exchange for time investment early access to late game kit either through direct item perchase or exp boosting

and

in superficial changes, alternate/expanded appearance options.
as it turns out, an intrepid would lose a fight with a connie.
and thats canon.
! the power of plot compels you.
Commander
# 155
03-29-2013, 08:55 PM
"BAWWWW EVERYBODY ALWAYS CALLS FOR NERFS T.T DONT NERF ME BRO"

Let's count up the things on the first post of this thread:

1Nerf
2Nerf
3Nerf
4Buff
5Fix/Nerf
6Fix/Buff
7Nerf
8Fix/Nerf
9Fix/Nerf
10Fix/Nerf
11Fix/Nerf
12Buff
13Buff
14Nerf
15Nerf
16Fix/Nerf
17Fix/Nerf
18Fix/Nerf
19Fix/Nerf
20Fix/Buff
21Fix/Buff
22Fix/Buff
23Fix/Buff
24Fix/Buff
25Fix/Buff
26Nerf

Only 7 direct recommendations that an ability be nerfed. 9 recommendations for fixes that would result in an ability being less powerful than it is in its bugged or mis-designed state. 3 direct recommendations for buffs, and 7 recommendations for fixes that would make an ability more powerful, and 2 neutral fixes.

Exactly what is it that threads like this "generally" recommend, again?
Commander
# 156
03-29-2013, 09:14 PM
Balance Design: damage mitigation
Issue: Adding immunity to Suppressing Fire on Battle Strategies means that tacs will be doing full damage much more of the time (indefinitely, with 3 tacs chaining tac init at the right interval). The problem with this is that this provides a huge indirect buff to the already dominant "damage" side of the damage-control-tank triangle of ground pvp.

Suggestions: adjust the other proactive damage mitigation sources in the game to be more effective, to compensate for the lost damage mitigation from Suppressing Fire. Boost the quantity of damage reduction granted by Weapon Malfunction, and lower the cooldown of Dampening Field, so that it can be used as a targeted debuff against decloaking tacs going for a oneshot kill.

Notes: BatStrats should, indeed, clear Suppressing Fire, according to its tooltip (clears tactical debuffs). Furthermore, it doesn't seem right that tacs should be the primary source of both damage AND damage mitigation, in the game. So, in general, I think that the change mentioned on the Redshirt patchnotes is good. It does, however, have huge balance ramifications. For the past eight months or so, Suppressing Fire has been the main source of damage mitigation in STO ground pvp. This fix has major consequences and may require balance changes to compensate for them.
Captain
# 157
03-30-2013, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkollins View Post
From Redshirt patch notes

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=600771

And my lovely Ground is getting fixed!
Lets hope for more fixes, ground PVP needs them.

Division Hispana
www.divisionhispana.com

Last edited by cerritourug; 03-30-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Career Officer
# 158
03-31-2013, 07:08 AM
Ability: Weapons Malfunction / Polaron proc
Once an enemy is hit by it, after the weapon disable effect wears off by itself (or on usage of a power cell), it triggers an immunity effect that lasts for 60 seconds. This timer is not on par with other immunity procs (20 seconds). Additionally, if the ability is used again within that period of time, the timer is reset back to full 60s, making it difficult to use the skill to keep pressure or to more consistently reduce damage output from the affected target. A misleading effect of this is that while the target is immune to further effects of WM upon re-application, the target will show the orange lightning effect but their weapons will work as normal.

Suggestion: reduce the timer to 20s to match other immunity procs, or, if the 60s timer is intended for this case, upon reapplication of WM within that time, don't reset the timer.

[EDIT] this also applies to the Polaron proc, with the same timers. The proc already has a very short duration (about 2 seconds). A 60s immunity to further applications seems a bit too much.

Last edited by tk79; 03-31-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 159
04-01-2013, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdeath View Post
Engineers with "Pet Summoning" Kits (Fabrication, Bunker, etc..)

Issue: When an Engineer Dies, some times their summoned objects remain allowing them to summon even more of those objects.

This recently came up as a topic of hot debate in the Boot Camp subforum, so I figured I might as well address it publicly...

It is not our intent that pets summoned via Kits should remain in the world once that Kit is removed from an active inventory slot.

In other words, if an Engineer summons a Phaser Turret, then swaps kits, that Phaser Turret should be removed from the world. This is not currently working as intended, and is a major boundary to a fair-and-balanced Ground PvP environment, that we intend to address in the near future.

If removing this multi-summon ability renders any associated ability undesirable as a result, we will examine their effectiveness of each ability in more detail only after the ability to stack them is fixed.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Jeremy Randall
Cryptic - Systems Design
"Play smart!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Kurland here...
Survivor of Romulus
# 160
04-01-2013, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
This recently came up as a topic of hot debate in the Boot Camp subforum, so I figured I might as well address it publicly...

It is not our intent that pets summoned via Kits should remain in the world once that Kit is removed from an active inventory slot.

In other words, if an Engineer summons a Phaser Turret, then swaps kits, that Phaser Turret should be removed from the world. This is not currently working as intended, and is a major boundary to a fair-and-balanced Ground PvP environment, that we intend to address in the near future.

If removing this multi-summon ability renders any associated ability undesirable as a result, we will examine their effectiveness of each ability in more detail only after the ability to stack them is fixed.
I think he means when a ENG using a kit that can spawn mortars dies.. the mortars will stay when a new group of mortals is spawned.