Career Officer
# 21
04-01-2013, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
You don't need to -- just found out Teri actually did http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/04...yer-uses-math/

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
I think Terrilynn's methodology makes Cryptic look bad there. There's no way that many are off topic and then if you do that, you wind up with 45% negative or only 25% positive.
Captain
# 22
04-01-2013, 03:32 PM
Quote:
You don't need to -- just found out Teri actually did http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/04...yer-uses-math/

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I can second this, a very few very vocal people are complaining.

As for me? I like it. IT could be much worse, it could be better, but with Cryptic's resources, its a logically and realistically good product.

Remember, they don't got dollar billions and hundreds of crew to make their expansions.

Plus there are logical arguments for both sides. I personally like D'tan's romulans, and I can see how its sensible to let players use their fed base for the romulans.

Even based on the post's count, the majority seems to be happy+neutral. So those disliking the expansion are less then those liking it and being neutral.

Last edited by tpalelena; 04-01-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Career Officer
# 23 @pwebranflakes and the dev team
04-01-2013, 03:37 PM
I've just listened to Friday's interview with 'The Verdict' in which you mention you were a bit bumped about some fan feedback regarding Legacy of Romulus. Seeing as I was pretty focal on my opinion of it (so much so that I received an understandable signature warning over it) I feel the need to address the situation nice and clearly.

I am overjoyed that the Romulans are making a playable appearance in the game. Am I bothered that the Romulans of choice aren't remnants of the Empire? No, not really. People can play KDF and have their ship and crew roleplay as an honorable crew following Martok, or a dishonored crew following Torg or Duras. The choice-faction within the Romulan faction never bothered me because people can role-play.

What has bothered me specifically (and I believe this to be the main concern of those who have complained) is that Romulan players are being forced to align with the Federation or KDF when they'd have rather played as a Romulan that was specific and unique; and not a part of the war front.

During all the updates, news, speculation etc that came before last weeks Ask Cryptic it was insinuated that the Romulans we were getting would be complete, unique, and on their own. Granted that can be put down to speculation on the part of the readers, but I'd be lying if I said the choice of words used by whoever writes this stuff is insightful, it isn't; it gave a lot of people the wrong idea.

I'm pretty sure I speak for nearly everyone when I say we're all looking forward to May, and everything that is involved with that expansion. It's just a lot of us were expecting a unique faction and three-way PvP, and when concerns and complaints were listed, they seemingly went ignored; you made several posts in the big Romulan Thread in the main Discussion stating that you and the team are taking our feedback in. What exactly does that mean?

If you've all invested the time and effort into the way it's going to be, then is our feedback merely something to read and dismiss? Nobody within their right mind is going to expect everything you've been working on for the past 6 months to be edited and changed within the next month or two, though it would be nice to know that are concerns aren't being brushed away once read.

I read a post the other day in which someone claimed that you guys have, and will always envision the Trek Online story as an eternal war between the Federation and Klingon factions. Is this true? Are we likely to ever see a 3rd faction that isn't involved in this war at all? Are we ever likely to see a three-way PvP scenario?
Starfleet Veteran
# 24
04-01-2013, 03:39 PM
Quote:
This week!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Ok... apparently you can't talk about how fleets will work, so easier question: WHEN this week? 'this week' could be anything from now until 7 days from now, what with it being monday and all.

As for that article, considering the incredibly vague definitions of 'off topic' and 'neutral', I'm inclined to ignore it since it's almost guaranteed to be biased to a very large degree.

Last edited by captainmal3; 04-01-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 25
04-01-2013, 03:39 PM
Of the 770 posts, 183 were deemed to be negative or contained a clear opinion that the poster was disappointed, dissatisfied, or angry about the Romulan faction in the upcoming expansion. Interestingly, those 183 responses were made by 71 different account names, meaning that the average negative poster responded 2.6 times in the thread. However, 75 different accounts replied with a total of 107 positive posts, meaning that those who were more upbeat about the new faction posted 1.4 times. So there it is: Angry people posted about their about their anger just about twice as much as those who are satisfied or happy about the change.

This is an important paragraph.

It clearly demonstrates that the 183 negative posts were made by 71 different accounts.

And the 107 positive posts were made by 75 different accounts.

And that the negative posters responded 1.2 times more often than the positive. which would bump the positive posts to 128.4 if they had responded as much.

Which means more different people were positive they just didnt post as much about it.

And as for the 50% or so off topic, I do believe that, since im sure alot of the negativity expressed was also against other posters or cryptic in general and not specificaly romulan dissatisfaction.
Actualy reading things pefore posting will make you look smarter than yelling loudly. Reading comprehension is aparently a lost art.

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abriham Lincoln
Commander
# 26
04-01-2013, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpalelena View Post
I can second this, a very few very vocal people are complaining.
You cannot reasonably come to that conclusion based on an article that essentially has the divide of enthused:disappointed at 1:1.

Quote:
Even based on the post's count, the majority seems to be happy+neutral. So those disliking the expansion are less then those liking it and being neutral.
Nor do you get to just add neutral to one side or the other because it suits your purpose. Neutral is neutral. Either they don't care, or have no opinion. That does not coincide with favorable/unfavorable.
Career Officer
# 27
04-01-2013, 03:45 PM
And don't forget, most people who don't think it's that bad don't bother to post. Mainly only people who are upset go out of their way to post and then half of that number went out of their way to defend.

I read the ask cryptic, went... "ok that makes sense from their point of view", it will bolster existing fleet sizes and I'll be able to keep my initial investments on KDF/FED c-store purchases... sounds like a win win... it's only a starbase, who wants to start from scratch on one of those things anyway?!?!?!

I then read some of the thread and said to myself "look at all those idiots freaking out", I then closed the window and checked the dev post forum every few hours. I didn't think once to post that I liked the new Romulan faction because frankly it doesn't ruin my day that much even if they half *$$ed it like the KDF... cause I have to mow the lawn and take care of my kid... real life stuff.
1hr of work @NYS Min Wage 7.25 = 725 Zen
725 x 102 (or current exchange rate) DL = 73950 DL <- can you earn that per hour in game?

Last edited by phantomeight; 04-01-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Captain
# 28
04-01-2013, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jexsamx View Post
You missed the part where she then disclosed how much of those negative posts were made by how many posters. There were 178 negative posts, but they were all made by the same 71 people, whereas the 107 positive posts, while fewer, were made by about 75 different people.

Overwhelming volume of negative posts doesn't mean much when the actual percentile of negative to positive posters is close to 1:1.
And I guess you missed the part where she took one single thread (which wasn't even the consolidated feedback thread that Bran keeps adding to) as the be-all and end-all of feedback on the Romulan situation, without even bothering to lay out why people were unhappy.

She basically made the argument that anyone who didn't like the announcement was a giant whiner.
Starfleet Veteran
# 29
04-01-2013, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
And I guess you missed the part where she took one single thread (which wasn't even the consolidated feedback thread that Bran keeps adding to) as the be-all and end-all of feedback on the Romulan situation, without even bothering to lay out why people were unhappy.
And you missed the part where the article is about that thread specificaly and where she stated it was mostly about romulans having to join the FED or KDF.
Actualy reading things pefore posting will make you look smarter than yelling loudly. Reading comprehension is aparently a lost art.

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abriham Lincoln
Career Officer
# 30
04-01-2013, 03:49 PM
Hey Bran, don't let it get you down.

I for one am thankful that Cryptic took up the challenge of creating a Star Trek game. Right now, its the only thing I am playing.

I am looking forward to LoR, and everything that goes with it. I may create one Romulan character, but I am looking forward to playing it through.

I am also looking forward to other things, Tholian rep system, and I remember talk of a Tholian space adventure zone... very intrigued.
Closed Thread