Lieutenant
HI,

I have a 3D capable Machine with Shutter Glasses that works with nearly Every Game on High Graphics. Shadows and Bloom in Star trek online must be Switched of and this recks the Perception of Depth in 3D very badly. The Ground and space Missions are unplayable in 3D because of these issues and Lables over Charicters Distrupt 3D Effects making it uncomfortable to View. Nvidea rate this game as "GOOD" in 3D but realistically it schould be not reccomended unless the settings are changed. Your game Say's ITs partnered with NVIDEA, yet the problem still Sits Unresolved as 3D Display's Get better And Cheaper.

PLEED: Can you please at least Fix the Lables on Ground missions over Charicters, this is Real Bad and Painfull to View, or, Release an Advise that you are Aware and at this time 3D is not Reccomended and tell NVIDEA to update their Compatibility Lists. Its so Dissapointing that i cant play STO in Stereoscopic 3D, as it would be a real Treat!.

POSSIBLE WORKAROUND: Try Anaglyph RED,CYAN, I have these Glasses too and if you lower the Depth to Near Minimal the game is nearly playable with Full Graphics, But the loss of Coulours really Dampen the Expirience, and i do not reccomend Klingon Missions with RED,CYAN. GREEN and MAGENTA Anaglyph works better than Shutter Technology aswell, Through you are Sligtly Coulour blinded, Klingon missions are better Played with GREEN AND MAGENTA Glasses as the Red,Brown Spectrum is less Difficult to look at. GREEN and MAGENTA works ok With Federation Missions Aswell, But really Sufferes From Bloom Like Shutter Glasses and Interface is very Disterbing to look at. Lower Interface Scale Helps a Little, but is out of place in screen Depth.

Cheers, Azurerail1
Captain
# 2
04-01-2013, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurerail1 View Post
PLEED: Can you please at least Fix the Lables on Ground missions over Charicters, this is Real Bad and Painfull to View, or, Release an Advise that you are Aware and at this time 3D is not Reccomended and tell NVIDEA to update their Compatibility Lists. Its so Dissapointing that i cant play STO in Stereoscopic 3D, as it would be a real Treat!.
I should imagine the game is designed to be played in 2D...
Commander
# 3
04-01-2013, 08:57 AM
Have you tried it on Tribble?
Captain
# 4
04-01-2013, 04:34 PM
I don't remember seeing anywhere that it is 3D compatible and being partnered with Nvidia does not automatically mean Nvidia 3D. Unless and until they specifically state that the game will support 3D in it's posted documentation it's a 2D game.
STO is rated Fair not Good on the Nvidia site, it's not designed to support 3D, which means you may get some 3D functionality but since the game is not designed for 3D what you are seeing is probably as good as it's going to get.
Career Officer
# 5
04-01-2013, 04:45 PM
I would love for this to happen too. I've been thru three machines over the lifetime of this title and in all three machines with four different graphics cards the same thing occurs in each, the backdrops have cracks in them where they flicker in and out in space, the bloom is set way too high so the point you can't even look at the screen with some planets, the water and splashing looks unrealistic even on high on planets, and the game has serious memory issues when antialiasing is turned up and when high shadows are used.

It's been three years and these bugs (and others but i won't go into those) still haven't been fixed correctly. What has your bug fixing team been doing this whole time?
I would like for the devs to open a poll/feedback thread on what exactly the players would like to see in the near future for the game.
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
04-01-2013, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
I don't remember seeing anywhere that it is 3D compatible and being partnered with Nvidia does not automatically mean Nvidia 3D. Unless and until they specifically state that the game will support 3D in it's posted documentation it's a 2D game.
STO is rated Fair not Good on the Nvidia site, it's not designed to support 3D, which means you may get some 3D functionality but since the game is not designed for 3D what you are seeing is probably as good as it's going to get.
Actually Dstalh has said the game was able to be played and made to be played for 3D although I would not recommend it as 3D gaming is still fairly new and the tech is still being worked out although it does work in alot of games. but still the point being is that when STO was made 3D was in its infancy and has come along way but I don't think the game will progress into a more 3D game as there are so few that even have the cards/monitors to play in 3D.
Lieutenant
# 7
04-01-2013, 10:50 PM
Hi,

I have tried 3D in Tribble and there are a Few improvements, Especially Bloom. Shadows are still out of Sink land labels are at Screen Depth Still, But the New interface makes it easier to bare with. I tried variouse Settings and i must say exept for a few Visual Improvements overall 3D performance is a little Better.

AS many have said to me here, its meant to be a 2D game, But remember that in all modern games, our GPU's and CPU's Work to Create a 3D world and then work on putting that 3D world back on a 2D Screen, So regardless of wether its Said that its a 2D Game or 3D, The Term is Relitive is valid to all Video games,PC , XBOX , PLaystation. Correcting any Game to perform in Stereoscopic 3D is Possible and it has been Done on many Games that never Nativley Supported Stereoscopic 3D, So All Statements said to me are Valid and i Acknowledge you all.

The issues in STO Stereoscopic 3D are Minor and yes we can play it with a little Sacrifice in 3D. But a Little Tweaking by Developers of STO Could Fix:

1: Labels, There at Screen Depth, Make them Allign with Depth of Ship,or, at a Deeper Screen Depth

2: Shadows, Can be turned off, But make 3D Even Better.

3: Antialiasing: Works Fine on Tribble in 3D, It does not in Holodeck.

4: A more Simple Solution: Limit 3D effect to Minimal levels, I found that works and you can play for a while in 3D Even in Holodeck, But better in Tribble.

Cheers to all For your Comments, i appreciate all points of view.
Azurerail1
Empire Veteran
# 8
04-03-2013, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurerail1 View Post
AS many have said to me here, its meant to be a 2D game, But remember that in all modern games, our GPU's and CPU's Work to Create a 3D world and then work on putting that 3D world back on a 2D Screen, So regardless of wether its Said that its a 2D Game or 3D, The Term is Relitive is valid to all Video games,PC , XBOX , PLaystation. Correcting any Game to perform in Stereoscopic 3D is Possible and it has been Done on many Games that never Nativley Supported Stereoscopic 3D
This is not true. To support 3D, every other frame must be created from a different perspective to sync with the glasses. It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that there are 3D models involved in the game.
Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
Commander
# 9
04-20-2013, 10:27 PM
Stereoscopic 3D has been in it's infancy in PC gaming...for a long, long time. My GeForce2 Titanium (they didn't use the nonsensical "Ti" abbreviation until the 3 series) came with cutting edge shutter glasses almost 15 years ago. They were then, as now, a said to work on virtually any 3d rendered game, and then, as now, were a headache inducing nightmare in visual non-clarity.

The thing is, its not likely to get better anytime soon. Very few people get anything out of it. Due to the nature of how our eyes work, there is a portion of the population that simply can't see the 3d effect. There is another portion (me for instance) that finds it distracting and annoying. There is yet another group that would never spend a dime on such a gimmick. Chicken and egg rule follows, until you can at least get SOME mainstream acceptance, the system will never be standardized and perfected.

If id had really, really got it working perfectly on the Quake3 engine, it may have gained traction purely on the fact that every second game for 5 years was built on it. It fizzled then, and its fizzling again now. Check out the fire sales on shutter glasses on eBay and you'll see what I mean.

I honestly think its a waste of R&D money when simple things like positional audio and correct wide screen FoV are still atrocious.

I simply don't see any reason for Cryptic to spend any manhours on something that, realistically, less than 1% of the player base will ever use.

And let's be frank, some people just refuse to look any more dorky sitting at their PC playing an MMO than they already do. My lime green Razer headphones are the farthest down that road I can go without losing my self respect.
Survivor of Romulus
# 10
04-21-2013, 01:07 AM
As Jornado said the whole 3D thing is a hugely recurring fade that for some reason just won't die for good. It seems like once a decade someone decides to go back and give it another try but it never really lasts long enough for the technology to really be improved enough.

Virtual Reality technology has suffered the same way because when it was originally designed the computers of the time were completely underpowered, and people were so disappointed in it that it has never recovered either. Unlike 3D however, VR tech has really improved, but the lack of demand makes it very, very expensive.

However the base problem still exists, and that is that you'll never get the full immersion effect your looking for with 3D (or VR for that matter) in a game that isn't persistent First person POV.

*side note:

The purpose of bringing VR into the conversation was for comparison of another somewhat similar technology and the similarities in their R&D life cycles.

VR technology has actually drastically been enhanced with HD screens, better head tracking, semi-positional audio through surround sound headphones, and because of the increase in computer graphics evolution the ability for depth of field perception post-processing creating a more 3D environment without lost of clarity over 3D standalone technology. Difference is you can pick up a pair of shutter glasses for like 50 bucks whereas a good VR setup (without data gloves) can easily run in the thousands or more.