Captain
So I'm working on a foundry project, and realized that I'd need to have two versions of the same map. The first map had some dialogue on it (NPC contacts), and I duplciated it, deleted them, and went to test the mission out.

I discovered that EVERY OBJECT ON THE ENTIRE MAP now had all the dialogue options that had been on the map I copied it from. As I've put a lot of material into this map, it basically meant that my screen was full of prompts- every object glowed with the interact light and the entire map was random dialogue.

Now the worst part is I can't even delete all this ****, since there's no multi-select in the dialogue entry, and it ignores keboard commands, so I have to manually click through all the menus to delete the 120+ dialogue options.

EDIT: This seems to be a result of objects inheriting dialogue if they do not have any set, when you select them and an object that has existing dialogue and copy and paste them, but I won't know until I try on a smaller scale in a week or two whenever I have all the existing dialogue deleted.

EDIT2: had to delete all my dialogue off the entire project, because for some idiotic reason dialogue is not PER MAP. And it wouldn't let me re-target any of the duplicated dialogue to the correct targets, so I couldn't even save the last set of lines after I deleted the rest. Nice going.

Last edited by illcadia; 03-21-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 2
03-26-2013, 10:16 AM
That is not ideal, to say the least. I'll get that on The List. The usual disclaimers apply.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 3
04-01-2013, 01:46 PM
I have been trying to reproduce this issue and have failed to do so.

Do you still have the project that had this problem?

If so, does the initial map that was duplicated still exist?

If so, can you get me the project ID (ST-stuff) and let me know which map of the project was duplicated to cause the problem?

Thanks.
Career Officer
# 4
04-01-2013, 01:52 PM
This occurred to me in creating what became my Spotlight mission.

I had one map with many optional interactable dialogs, both NPC and Object.
I duplicated the map in order to use it again.

every single piece of optional dialog I had made on the first map wrote itself onto each and every place it could go on the second map (all the objects and NPCs).

This meant that every interactable object had something like 10 to 15 optional dialogs I needed to delete before it was useable.

in fact, as far as I can tell, this happens every time I duplicate a map.
I have taken to not adding any dialog or interactable text before duplicating them to solve the problem.
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
04-01-2013, 02:22 PM
I had this happening to me in one of my missions. Let me see if I can put together some repo steps tonight.

@greendragoon
Captain
# 6
04-01-2013, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticfrost View Post
I have been trying to reproduce this issue and have failed to do so.

Do you still have the project that had this problem?

If so, does the initial map that was duplicated still exist?

If so, can you get me the project ID (ST-stuff) and let me know which map of the project was duplicated to cause the problem?

Thanks.
I have the map, but not the ID (I'm at a lecture at the moment)- but I can also say that it might not work to repro, because I've since deleted all the dialogue in order to clean the second one up (because dialogue is not listed on a per map basis, but instead all dialogue in an entire project is just randomly listed under the dialogue tab (which is something I'd really like fixed too)
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
04-01-2013, 04:59 PM
Ok, I've put together a nice simple project to demonstrate. You'll find a single interior map with a simple room and a single console. The console has a default dialog on it. Select all the objects minus the spawn point, copy and paste it. If you look at the duplicate objects they will ALL have default dialog boxes now.

Project ID: ST-HHTJGJ4IS

It's not currently published, but I understand you don't need it to be.

@greendragoon
Cryptic Studios Team
# 8
04-02-2013, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post
Ok, I've put together a nice simple project to demonstrate. You'll find a single interior map with a simple room and a single console. The console has a default dialog on it. Select all the objects minus the spawn point, copy and paste it. If you look at the duplicate objects they will ALL have default dialog boxes now.

Project ID: ST-HHTJGJ4IS

It's not currently published, but I understand you don't need it to be.
Thank you! This was a case of a picture, or in this case a project, being worth the proverbial thousand words.

This one's on the list.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-01-2013, 11:42 PM
I've had a similar issue with NPC Contacts that had default dialogue. The option is located at on the lower panel when you have the contact selected. It's an option that you have to check in order for it to work (not sure if that's where the issue happened or not).

Anyways, I had copied a number of contacts and pasted them on a new map only to have the dialogue from one copy to all of the others and--in some cases--copy over dialogue on a separate contact. What I ended up doing with unchecking the default dialogue box until either there was no dialogue associated with that character outside of any interact widgets put in the storyboard involving them or until the original dialogue for a particular contact reappears.

I hope I"m making sense and that it helps.
Starfleet Veteran
# 10
05-02-2013, 01:29 PM
It pretty much affects anything with a default dialog, NPC or object.

@greendragoon