Career Officer
# 11
04-01-2013, 10:47 AM
If you don't have a fleet and would like to join one, visit The TOS Veterans. There we have many capable science captains doing what apparently is impossible in the eyes of the previous posters. You can get plenty of advice from our forums.

You can also contact me in-game. My handle is the same as my forum name. I'll be more than happy to give you links to some of my builds or help you create a new one.
Captain
# 12
04-01-2013, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepantsparty View Post
Fly a carrier or a Vesta for PvE - they have all the skills of a normal science ship while ALSO doing 2-3 times the damage.
You forget the borg have what we have on steroids that have been given steroids and then the borg have more steroids... and... well yeah...
Lieutenant
# 13
04-01-2013, 03:29 PM
I've had pretty good luck participating in Elite STFs with my Recon Sci vessel. I'm decked out for control/slows (I kinda want the nebula so I can use warp plasma though). Tractor beam, tractor repulsors, Tyken's rift (or whatever that big purple one is that sucks everything closer to it is called). My job is to keep probes or assimilated BoPs from reaching their target locations, and while I admit it'd be much more efficient to go all-out on an andorian cruiser and go in canons blazing...

Well, at least this lets me pretend to be useful.
Captain
# 14
04-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle0rum View Post
If you don't have a fleet and would like to join one, visit The TOS Veterans. There we have many capable science captains doing what apparently is impossible in the eyes of the previous posters. You can get plenty of advice from our forums.

You can also contact me in-game. My handle is the same as my forum name. I'll be more than happy to give you links to some of my builds or help you create a new one.
Oh you mean they're tactical captains flying sci ships? Nothing else makes some offensive abilities be functional beyond 9 skill points in graviton/particle, using 125 aux and preferably debuffing hull and (ironically!) using a snare ability to prevent ships from leaving the *snicker* 'gravity' well.
http://media.tumblr.com/160cacdb395f8340dac90864182ebe16/tumblr_inline_mx9yxhItkb1qg9pkt.jpg
Career Officer
# 15
04-01-2013, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmym View Post
Particle generators do in fact buff feedback pulse...

I have no interest in this debate, tho.
They don't and neither do they help the players ships with the GW3 or they would have worked on my ship that had 4 consoles and maxed traits just for that purpose.

Something is definitely wrong with the "everything is working perfectly" crowd that continuously come here to the forums and spread nonsense because I've personally spent alot of in game currency over the past two months testing these various powers myself to try to determine which ones work and which don't anymore. There's plenty more about what's wrong but I decided to truncate my findings above so that my reply to the OP wasn't too long.

Edit: Wonders if cmdrskyfaller is referring to the multiple and sundry plasma builds I keep finding in these forums and on the build calculator site.
I would like for the devs to open a poll/feedback thread on what exactly the players would like to see in the near future for the game.

Last edited by the1tigglet; 04-01-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Career Officer
# 16
04-01-2013, 05:35 PM
I just checked it myself. Particle generators certainly effects FBP and GW.

You're either trolling, or not checking your facts.
I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!

Vice Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
Commander
# 17
04-01-2013, 05:59 PM
Tricobalt mine spam is your best friend at the moment.
Captain
# 18
04-01-2013, 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrskyfaller View Post
Aka, 1 point in power insulators counters 9 points in flow capacitors. Siphon/Tyken just dont drain anymore.
if someone has minmaxed for dps to the total exclusion of insulators then they deserve to be crippled if not totally shut down by even rudimentary attempts at a drain built...

this situation is like expecting to out dps everyone with no points to any kind of weapons...

Captain
# 19
04-01-2013, 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skollulfr View Post
if someone has minmaxed for dps to the total exclusion of insulators then they deserve to be crippled if not totally shut down by even rudimentary attempts at a drain built...

this situation is like expecting to out dps everyone with no points to any kind of weapons...
You're missing the point. The point is that defenses being more powerful than the corresponding attacks by an order of magnitude is bad design.

Draining doesn't even work as well as it used to in PVE either. Boss type enemies, i.e. the ones that should actually require some teamwork and science support to take down, were patched to have very high resistance to power drain so that they can't be shut down anymore. I used to be able to literally turn off Donatra's shields to make a fast kill. That doesn't work now.
Captain
# 20
04-01-2013, 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momaw View Post
You're missing the point. The point is that defenses being more powerful than the corresponding attacks by an order of magnitude is bad design.
Science was designed well in beta. And launched well. Then the devs started tinkering with it. The writing was on the wall way back in the very first update of the game, when they made Viral Matrix a soft cuddly bunny of a power. Three years later, science is really frustrating.

So I'm sitting here, thinking of giving it another go on a new character I just levelled to 50. And it's looking like the Vesta is needed to even bother.

I'm like 85% leaning towards the Vesta 3 pack. Any advice from those who have it?