Rihannsu
# 11
04-01-2013, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstoner View Post
The learning curve can be a little steep but you should just check-out the various youtube tutorials and come by to Starbase UGC chat to ask questions. The Foundry in STO, while leaving a lot to be desired, is incredibly easy compared to modding pc games.
THIS!^^^

As someone who still spends time modding Space Empires 5 and who used to mod Diablo 2, That is VERY true!
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 12
04-01-2013, 04:04 PM
Parts 1-7 of Primetime UGC's "Back to Basics" should help you. Part 8 is coming in a few days.

http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/noo...torials-guide/

Look for New! under video tutorials.
Captain
# 13
04-01-2013, 05:23 PM
/\
This guy is a foundry Guru. His tutorials helped me get up to speed.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Lieutenant
# 14
04-02-2013, 11:21 AM
I had a look at the UGC "long" video, it's not bad, I managed to create a simple "test" mission, but it's just what it is, a "test", until the next video comes out, I can't go further.

But, I still say the UI is inferior as apposed to a lot of "configurable" gaming systems I've seen, for instance, the 2D map could have a 3D option along side the "Play Map" button, so that when objects are dropped on the map, click the "Edit in 3D" button, and the map would show just like if hitting the "Play Map" button, but does not show any NPC's, just scenery and placed objects, then, when an object is clicked/selected, then holding alt, would show a rotation axis around the object, then still holding alt, then using the mouse button to drag to rotate the object, or, holding ctrl+alt would show a movement axis, then again by still holding ctrl+alt and click dragging on either the x,y,z axis would move the object within the 3D world, then when satisfied all objects have been placed, then click on "exit 3D edit", which would return to the 2D map to continue the storyline.

using the current UI, it would take 3 weeks, just to create an arena with a force field surrounding the activation console, IE.

1......Drag pattern enhancers to map
2......Lay them out approximately in a circle, the diameter big enough to have the console, a contact NPC, and BOFF's inside.
3......Drop an invisible "force field" between the pattern enhancers, (this is the tricky bit).

To place the invisible "force fields" exactly between each of the pattern enhancers (using current UI) is nothing but trial and error:-

1.....Drop force field.
2.....Move it
3.....Hit Play Map
4.....Don't look right, repeat steps 2 & 3 until positioned close enough.
5.....Rotate 1 grid mark left or right.
6.....Hit Play Map
7.....Don't fit right?, repeat steps 5 & 6 until force field is central between pattern enhancers
8.....Repeat all steps for the remaining force fields.

Those steps, can take up to 3 weeks or more to get right, that's the reason for my original post. I guess I won't be using the UI until a better one comes along.

It's a pity that the UI can't import missions created by other people, otherwise, I could ask a "professional" creator to create one to my storyline and I could import it into my account.
Rihannsu
# 15
04-02-2013, 12:09 PM
Did you zoom in? When I'm doing precise item placements in the editor I zoom in to make arranging the items easier. I might need to adjust things a little afterwards, but I can usually get them to look almost right.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-02-2013, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martok16 View Post
...snip...
You should not need more than 30 mins for that circular pattern enhancer-forcefield build.

Last edited by pendra3780; 04-02-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Captain
# 17
04-02-2013, 06:18 PM
PFDennis posted part 8 of my back to basics series.
Captain
# 18
04-03-2013, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
PFDennis posted part 8 of my back to basics series.
Answered a lot of questions I had. Thanks again.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Starfleet Veteran
# 19
04-03-2013, 03:46 PM
Quote:
After multiple attempts and multiple fails for 3 weeks, I've come to the conclusion, that creating missions are strictly for Einsteins with a masters degree, simply because the UI is not user friendly enough, there's insufficient content, and objects can not be edited/moved within the 3D world.

The only way I can get a grasp on how the inferior UI works is to share my screen with a professional mission creator using Skype, along with Skype voice chat to walk me through from start to finish, including all the workarounds.

Online tutorials? Way out of date, and there are no actual PDF files for step-by-step instructions on creating missions, from start and ending with a fully working mission, including workarounds, with coverage on everything that can be done, and how it's done.
Missions are not impossible to create, as frankly the staggering amount in the Foundry shows, and great missions are not out of reach either, just look at Spotlight.

I myself am fairly new to Foundry but am plugging away at a couple of missions. You can no way in hell crank one out over night unless you are doing a quick shooter, but to say impossible, is wrong, and most of your comments are incorrect.

Ok yes the online tutorials are out of date but they are STILL very helpful, and valuable. I have learned a lot from them. The UI statements tho are sadly very true.

The UI is tragic. The piece of paper map placement (Which doesn't even show anything really resembling outlines of anything on the maps) is wrong, it should be 3d WYSIWYG which would make placement far easier and accurate. as it stands, it is still very primitive, lets hope the planned upgrade sorts this out.

***Disenchanted***
Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
Career Officer
# 20
04-05-2013, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Those steps, can take up to 3 weeks or more to get right, that's the reason for my original post. I guess I won't be using the UI until a better one comes along.

Sounds like you might also have the snap to grid on as well. If you zoom in, as suggested, and make sure the snap to grid is not on, you can adjust things pretty quick. There is no reason it should take such an insane amount of time to do that task.
ABI-Artificial Borg Intelligence by Duke-of-Rock Available on Holodeck
Also play Spawn of Medusa - The 5 Part series
by Duke-of-Rock Available on Holodeck