Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Graphical and Sound Issues
Login

Lieutenant
Edit: Problem mostly resolved. I was running the game through Steam. I downloaded it directly and am experiencing much smoother play. /Edit

I am running a fairly high end machine, and have been having issues with ST:O. It's a bit disheartening, as I can run every single other game I've tried at max settings with no hitches.
Basically, the game has somewhat smooth FPS, then just hangs randomly. Especially on the ground, or in space with anything in the background like an asteroid field. It's particularly strange, as my performance is nearly the same whether running the game at max, or at min settings.

If it helps, I was running an Ivy Bridge Quad core OCd to 4.4 and having heat issues, (never had a problem in any other game,) so had to actually lower the clock to 4.2 to remain stable. Only ST:O creates these heat issues for me.

Is there some magic setting I don't know about? Anyone have any idea?

Edit: Added specs, corrected typo on Overclock.

Microsel Intel Core i5-3570k 3.4Ghz OC to 4.2 currently. Was overheating at 4.4.

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H Motherboard Bundle i53570k-Z77X3-KIT

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)

G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GAR

HIS H785F2G2M Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Last edited by fearlessteapot; 04-12-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Career Officer
# 2
04-02-2013, 10:47 AM
Your computer is OVERCLOCKED, your going to have " Heat Issues " ... Sto is not causeing your computer to overheat. You also didn't even say what kind of video card you have. or any other details about your system build.
Lieutenant
# 3
04-02-2013, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattraps123 View Post
Your computer is OVERCLOCKED, your going to have " Heat Issues " ... Sto is not causeing your computer to overheat. You also didn't even say what kind of video card you have. or any other details about your system build.
I did, however, say that every single other game I tried runs fine, with no heat issues. ST:O is the only one that causes my processor to run hot. I provided the information to someone in the hopes that it would ring a bell, maybe there is a known issue with a particular setting or something.

Judging by the tone of your post, I'm not sure you could really help, anyway. I'm not sure how I offended you; if I beat your dog in another life or something, I apologize.

Here are the actual specs, for anyone who feels like being helpful.

Microsel Intel Core i5-3570k OC to 3.2 currently. Was overheating at 3.4.

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H Motherboard Bundle i53570k-Z77X3-KIT

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)

G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GAR
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
04-02-2013, 11:33 AM
Also, one of the first things you do when you start encountering visual hanging like this is to update your drivers, particularly your video driver. Quite often I've found updating a driver removes performance issues.

Edit (was writing this post while you responded): are you using an on-board graphics card, or do you have a PCI-E video card you didn't list in your system specs? On-board graphics cards are usually pretty weak when it comes to games. What other games are running "fine" that you aren't having issues with. If they're all more than a year old, I'd still say look into updating your drivers.

Edit edit: I see you updated your OP with the video card spec, it's at least a fairly recent card so it shouldn't be having too many issues...

Last edited by jbmaverick; 04-02-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Lieutenant
# 5
04-02-2013, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmaverick View Post
Also, one of the first things you do when you start encountering visual hanging like this is to update your drivers, particularly your video driver. Quite often I've found updating a driver removes performance issues.
I double checked that I am running the most up to date drivers. I am considering actually rolling back to odler drivers to see if they make a difference.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-02-2013, 11:46 AM
STO uses a lot of your CPU. More so than most games. I suggest getting better cooling for your CPU. Then again your computer might just not be stable. For a start, remove any and all overclocks and make sure your RAM is setup properly then try playing the game again.
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
04-02-2013, 11:46 AM
Looking over my system specs to see how they compare against yours, since I rarely have any issues. AMD FX4100 3.6 GHz procressor, NVidia GeForce GTX 660, 1x8GB RAM, so my system specs are only slightly better than yours other than the RAM (and nobody actually needs 16 GB of RAM right now ). It could be something playing poorly with the Radeon driver, so a rollback might help, not sure what else I could suggest.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-02-2013, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmaverick View Post
Looking over my system specs to see how they compare against yours, since I rarely have any issues. AMD FX4100 3.6 GHz procressor, NVidia GeForce GTX 660, 1x8GB RAM, so my system specs are only slightly better than yours other than the RAM (and nobody actually needs 16 GB of RAM right now ). It could be something playing poorly with the Radeon driver, so a rollback might help, not sure what else I could suggest.
Actually his specs are better than yours and has nothing to do with the Radeon driver. Did you bother to read?
Starfleet Veteran
# 9
04-02-2013, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erocker View Post
Actually his specs are better than yours and has nothing to do with the Radeon driver. Did you bother to read?
Why are you even bothering to turn a help thread into an insult? My processor is faster than his without overclocking and the GTX 660 generally outperforms the Radeon 7850 in 3D rendering. And unless you're some sort of psychic I doubt you actually KNOW the issue. Yes, he said he's getting some overheating issues but he ALSO said he's having some graphical stuttering, which is what I was addressing, and it could be a driver issue or one of several other issues if the overheating isn't directly related.

Years ago I had a fairly decent laptop that I expected to perform reasonably well on any game that came out around the same time. But only a few minutes into most games I'd suddenly get ratcheted down to something like 10 FPS, hardly optimal. It wasn't a driver issue or an overheating issue, it was a poorly designed bios CPU limiter that was engaging and not disengaging. The issue isn't always obvious.

Last edited by jbmaverick; 04-02-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Lieutenant
# 10
04-02-2013, 11:59 AM
That was my next consideration. It's relatively easy to drop the clock on this motherboard, which should drastically lower temps. I can then try the game at low settings and see if that is the problem. I have my doubts though, as I have no issues in other games, and this processor is very commonly clocked at 4.4. My temps get up to 80C or so with current settings and clock (4.2), which is around the same as I get with GW2 or SW TOR at 4.4.

Beyond that, I suppose trying older drivers is the best option I have.