Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Career Officer
# 71
04-02-2013, 03:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon653 View Post
Okay, so we cant build a new base from scratch because we don't have the resources right? Well instead of going the Fed/Kdf way and building a new one have it a run down half destroyed wreck of a starbase and we have to rebuild it.

The first interior would look like a garbage heap and every time we get an upgrade it gets cleaned up a bit, some holes get patch, fresh paint that sort of thing. Hows that sound to you "Oh they don't have the resources or numbers" players.
That's actually a pretty solid idea!

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY
Commander
# 72
04-02-2013, 04:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash525 View Post
Problem Number #1: They don't want players having to grind into another (3rd, Romulan) fleet with a bunch of more resources when countless hours have already been spent building up those very fleets. That's awfully nice of them. Okay, so how about the Romulan, Omega, and (soon to be) Tholian Reputation Systems. We are still going to need to put loads of hours worth of game play in (grinding) so that we're able to complete these reputation systems (in some cases, again).
This is not the problem you think it is. Wanting people to spend resources on something exciting and new, Tholian Reputation, or wanting people to spend resources on something for individual character development, Romulan/Omega reputation building, is another reason to help them avoid spending those resources on developing a new fleet.

People will only put up with a certain amount of raw grinding before they get fatigued and start looking for greener pastures. Cryptic decided that adding a new starbase to the grinding that a new character is already looking forward too was a bad idea.

Quote:
Problem Number #2: They're goal is to encourage existing fleets. Okay, but aren't existing fleets already limited to 500 members? If a Fleet (an example would be a Federation Fleet I am in) has 430 members. Lets assume for the moment that this is 430 individual members (and no characters), and then lets assume all those 430 people roll a Romulan character, that leaves 70 slots for people to join in with the fleet.
This is also not a problem for the majority of fleets. Most fleets do not have 500 active members. Your fleet probably doesn't have 430 ACTIVE members. So, if you want to recruit more than 70 active Romulans, trim your ranks. If I'm wrong and your fleet does already have 430 active members, then you are truly blessed and I'm sorry but those other Romulans are just going to have to support a less fortunate fleet.

Quote:
Problem Number #3: Edit: Courtesy to dkratasco for nudging my brain; Cryptic have stated they're doing this to save people who have already contributed vast amounts to the fleet projects from having to do it all again. It has been brought to their attention several times, by several people that (especially for small fleets) the requirements for some of these projects are stupidly high. I fail to see how they can be so concerned in the first place if they continually refuse to reduce the price of fleet projects; especially the special ones. A selection of lame banners are not worth 200,000 dilithium.
And Problem 3 is a problem, but not a problem with the Romulan lack of a fleet system. In fact, the Romulan lack of a fleet system will help those small fleets obtain more members, it probably won't help much, but this is the opposite of proving your point as this is a "problem" that adds up.
Commander
# 73
04-02-2013, 04:53 AM
Real problem is that Cryptic still want to keep FED as main faction and KDF or Romulans as something which you will play occasionally when you are bored with Fed. With two equal faction both with similar content level and both starting at lv 1, there wan't be problem with lack of players wanting to donate for their starbase projects, because I believe there would be many players who want play only as Klingons and won't even look at Fed side.

Again Cryptic if you want to earn profit at something you must first invest in it enough to make it full product worth buying. Right now KDF is similar to trying sell car without engine and wondering why people don't want to buy it even if you give them leather, GPS, etc. but still no engine.
Sorry for any mistakes, english isn't my primary language.

"Dear players we have for you new useless event and only-one-map-use-divices, and much more new "content", but we can't repair glitch in chat system which make mutes on private channels permament. So deal with it and give us your remaining money."

Last edited by dkratasco; 04-02-2013 at 05:14 AM.
Lt. Commander
The Romulan people have been dealt a devastating blow and they have more or less been reduced to a nomadic band of vagabonds, yes? Their home system and everything they possessed was blown to bits. They just found a new world to settle and make home. I would think, as a people, they would be more concerned about establishing cities, commerce and industry on their new home than floating a tincan out in deep space somewhere. They called on the Feds and KDF to help them build this world. A refugee faction is going to align itself with the "superpower" that helped bring it out of ruin - at least for the foreseeable future at any rate. Fresh off the refugee transport ship, does it really make sense to enter into a stand-alone war against both factions who just helped you get back on your feet?

The real problem would be, and in fact will be, civil strife within the Romulan faction itself between Romulans with opposing views of who to align with. Pro-Federation leaners are not going to like the KDF leaners and vice versa. As much as I have always liked the Romulans, I, for one, would be rather disappointed to see the Romulan Star Empire rise from the ashes like a Phoenix into full glory and power overnight. These things take time. And let's not forget that the Tal Shiar are not going to go quietly into the night, giving the Romulans a third internal group embroiled in their civil woes. These people have a long, hard road back to their pinnacle. This approach just makes sense to me.
Republic Veteran
# 75
04-02-2013, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xigbarg View Post
Maybe they can't add on because they don't have a design for it. If that's the case, I hope it doesn't go on the back burner. I'd rather have a nice looking base than a shoddy one.

I'd rather a placeholder base that doesn't visually advance then no base.

If they don't want us to have to grind again now, why would it be ok to grind again later?

I don't see how they would be able to convert Fed/KDF fleets and starbases to Romulan fleets. Do you have to kick all the non-Romulans out? What if not everyone in fleet wants to convert? Is tech to convert even reasonable for the engine or would new tech need to be created?

Its a can of worms that could be totally avoided by doing the right things right now.

I appreciate that a lot of people don't want to grind a new base, and I am fine with them having an option to join an allied fleet, but as a Romulan I'd like an option to join a real Romulan fleet, not a Federation or KDF fleet that only lets Romulans in, and I'd like the option to grind up a Romulan Starbase.
Career Officer
# 76
04-02-2013, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reximuz View Post

If they don't want us to have to grind again now, why would it be ok to grind again later?

I don't see how they would be able to convert Fed/KDF fleets and starbases to Romulan fleets. Do you have to kick all the non-Romulans out? What if not everyone in fleet wants to convert? Is tech to convert even reasonable for the engine or would new tech need to be created?

Its a can of worms that could be totally avoided by doing the right things right now.

I appreciate that a lot of people don't want to grind a new base, and I am fine with them having an option to join an allied fleet, but as a Romulan I'd like an option to join a real Romulan fleet, not a Federation or KDF fleet that only lets Romulans in, and I'd like the option to grind up a Romulan Starbase.
They could have all Romulan fleet perks be Embassy projects, accessible at the Embassy.
Rihannsu
# 77
04-02-2013, 09:30 AM
Quote:

True true, if they implement this in the way they are wanting right now then I am led to think there would be alot of trouble separating the old bastardized romulans fleets from their Fed/Kdf counterparts and converting them to a stand alone Romulan Fleet.

I would just so much rather not have to throw in with the Feds or Kdf and focus on Romulus and the Romulan people.

If they dont want us to have to grind up a new fleet right now then how does that help us in the long run when they keep adding MORE stuff to existing fleets?
Commander
# 78
04-02-2013, 11:11 AM
Quote:
They won't be able to do that. The only way I can see to do that is create later real Romulan faction independent from the beginning, and left D'Tan followers in FED/KDF pockets.
Sorry for any mistakes, english isn't my primary language.

"Dear players we have for you new useless event and only-one-map-use-divices, and much more new "content", but we can't repair glitch in chat system which make mutes on private channels permament. So deal with it and give us your remaining money."
Career Officer
# 79
04-02-2013, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkratasco View Post
They won't be able to do that. The only way I can see to do that is create later real Romulan faction independent from the beginning, and left D'Tan followers in FED/KDF pockets.
At most, I could see a third option and a paid alliance respec. That's probably the most realistic option I can see. Adding that third choice where a player rejects the Feds and Klingons.

But there are good reasons why Cryptic might not want to offer that and if they did, I would imagine it being in conjunction with Fed and Klingon overhauls that allow Feds to choose between Fed/Kli/Rom loyalty and Klingons to do the same.
Starfleet Veteran
# 80
04-02-2013, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcharodon1975 View Post
Right now from a pure business standpoint it makes sense to Cryptic to cut corners and deliver this "half a faction".They are seriously cutting the time they would otherwise need to create a third faction: no Romulan veteran rewards, no Romulan Fleet Starbase, no Romulan Fleet weapons and gear, no need for Romulan Fleet refit ships, no need to create a Romulan faction social hub from scratch, no need to add faction specific lock box ships or consoles, no need to rework the PvP and PvE queues, no need to worry about how to give Federation players more access to (battle) cloak, etc.

At the same time they have laid the ground work for a true Romulan faction,one headed by Empress Sela and controlled by the Tal Shiar,the faction most of us wanted in the first place.
But it will take at least another year before we see that happen,unless we express our discontent with the Romulan Republic faction in a way that leaves them no other choice but to give us what we want.
We should call it as a half ass job then
[

Last edited by crusader2007; 04-02-2013 at 04:12 PM.