Captain
# 21
04-02-2013, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
It seems pretty much confirmed that Romulans will be flying Federation and Klingon ships. I doubt that's up for discussion. That part is the foregone conclusion, not my suggestion.

My suggestion is to make those ships look like Romulan ship classes when a Romulan flies them.

I doubt any amount of forum discussion at this point will deter Cryptic from letting Romulans command Excelsiors. My suggestion is to sub the model out for a Romulan ship rather than simply have Romulans commanding Excelsiors.
And how would that be different then making entirely new ships?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussweatherlight View Post
I want a source on a first world nations navy using another nations captured vessel.
Quite a few actually. Also this. Depends on whether you consider North Korea a first world nation or not.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Career Officer
# 22
04-02-2013, 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
And how would that be different then making entirely new ships?

Quite a few actually. Also this. Depends on whether you consider North Korea a first world nation or not.
I'll tell you why:

Entirely different ships wouldn't sell. Same way Klingon ships haven't sold.

But if buying a Fed or Klingon ship unlocks that ship for Romulans (and that is what dev posts would lead me to believe) then Cryptic at least benefits from increased sales of the Fed and Klingon ships. And they may slide in a small price hike at the same time.

As in, say, all ships cost 500 ZEN more but now unlock ships with identical consoles/stats for allied Romulans.

That will almost certainly sell better than dedicated Romulan ships. I'm pretty confident that's a dedicated minority and that Cryptic is hoping KDF sales will go up when people start rolling KDF-allied Romulans.
Career Officer
# 23
04-02-2013, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Centersolace, all of those are over 150 years ago, and none of them are from the age of armored artillary ships. The modern ships with long range missiles/artillary weren't captured, much less used by a 1st world power.

"Second star on the right, and straight on till morning."

U.S.S. Weatherlight
Captain
# 24
04-02-2013, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
I'll tell you why:

Entirely different ships wouldn't sell. Same way Klingon ships haven't sold.(Snip).
Klingon ships haven't sold because the Klingon faction has been ignored and incomplete for such a long time, come May, hopefully, that will no longer be a valid statement. As the Klingon faction grows so will it's sales.
That said, one of the primary reasons why players were clamoring for Romulans was so they could get their hands on Romulan ships, if Cryptic takes a shortcut by making FED or KDF ships available as a substitute for creating a Romulan fleet they will have made a colossal blunder that will doom the faction to becoming an ignored minority and a virtual waste of coding time. Players are already chafing at the notion of having to ally with FED or KDF, being forced to fly their ships, I can just about guarantee, will spark a community wide rage fest of biblical proportions.
Captain
# 25
04-02-2013, 07:18 PM
I don't think it's much of an issue, personally. How many people will roll a Romulan character and then fly him/her around in an Odyssey or a Bortasqu'? Not too many.

In regards to the OP's suggestion, I think just giving the ships different aesthetics (hull material, nacelle coloration, etc) when Romulans are flying them would be enough to aid immersion.
Say NO to mandatory Arc!