Empire Veteran
# 21
03-08-2013, 06:23 PM
I still don't like the lack of RPG mode on this weapon. This is extremely annoying. It requires to constantly press 1 and you can't really use your other powers. Try it, try to use your kit, try to tank, try to do something while using the flamethrower.

The secondary mode is interesting, a strong KB ability is cool.

I gave it to a NPC, and here the fun begins. The NPC seems to be unable to use the weapon properly, since it will fire randomly while on red alert (I haven't been able to determine when and why), and when the fights come close to a complex terrain (such as a door) then it starts to rotate like an idiot not firing at the enemy. The AI still needs a lot of work, especially with pathfinding and firing. When the boff gets at melee range with it then it's completely stupid.

The boff will also pick a random npc to shoot at and it will ignore the larger groups, making the use of the flamethrower pointless.

Currently, this weapon is clearly not interesting ATM, for boffs or for myself.

Tested it on tribble with a foundry mission i've designed for this test (dumb mobs alert).

Last edited by diogene0; 03-08-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Captain
# 22
03-09-2013, 06:11 AM
Does it not work with autofire?
Career Officer
# 23
03-10-2013, 02:59 PM
Just did a brief analysis of the new version of the Flamethrower.

The ammo mechanic is a little flawed.

When I first equipped the weapon, it had 0 ammo.

When I switched maps, the ammo counter was reset to 0.

I don't think this is practical in terms of mechanics.
Especially when we switch maps like crazy in STO.

We need to start off the map with a full charge and the weapon to be ready to go at a moment's notice.
Likewise, when first equipped, the weapon should also be fully charged.

I'm thinking your team is going to be annoyed if you do nothing until the weapon charges up and is ready to go.

Last edited by tilarta; 03-10-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-14-2013, 08:54 AM
Personally, I'm not a fan of this weapon. It just doesn't impress me as an endgame/damage inflicting weapon. From what I've read so far it seems it's not targeting enemy is intentional so I guess it's working as intended. But the difficulty actually hitting a target and not just spreading it's cloud into the air combined with it's minimal damage makes this a weapon I would not work my butt off to obtain on holodeck. Especially with the prices in dilithium currently being charged for high tier weapons! ( And the current insufficient limit on refining dil. )

After using it a few times myself I passed it to my BOFF's. They were quite happy spreading the green cloud everywhere but with little actual results.... other than lag.

In my humble opinion, in it's current form players working hard to obtain this weapon on holodeck will be very disappointed.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-22-2013, 10:40 AM
gave it to a human sci bridge officer, on New Romulous.

At one point it became immobile and wouldn't do anything. Just standing there. (was over at Vestam peaks fighting either the large crab creature or Romulans.

Had to use the transporter system to fix it.

(When it worked The sci officer used both primary and secondary attacks, used it at the correct range, got a few heals and it used it's attack powers like normal.
_______- _ _ -_ _ _ _ _ __ __ __ ___ _ __ _ _ _

Took it to Otha *that ground PvP/PvE planet with the Borg.

Aaagh never again.

Had that 3 sec remodulator from Defara crafting. it sometimes would not remodulate/have any affect on Borg adaption. **the notification that they had adapted would go away, but as soon as I fired, It would show 1 damage, then show they'd adapted.

Or do 34 damage few times, then have to remodulate again.

did a few 100 crit with all mk X squad leader kit buffs activated and tac buffs.

_____ _ __ __ _ ___ __

also took it to Nukara. after "ammo" ran out you soon got swarmed.

low proc rate/ low damage, even with a tactical officer.

_______ -_ - -_ -_ - __ - _ - __ -

Pulsewaves are better.

pulse waves: + no ammo limit
+ higher damage
= same range
+ no limit on # of targets hit /affected with their basic attack
- affects less targets with it's secondary attack

Plasmathrower: + looks cool
- low damage/low proc rate for plasma damage over time.
- limited by "fuel"
- Borg adapt very quickly.

Last edited by i8472; 03-22-2013 at 11:02 AM. Reason: forgot to add more
Career Officer
# 26
03-22-2013, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by questerius View Post
First of all, i am glad the flamethrower is getting attention. This is one weapon i look forward to purchasing.

As for changing the damage type to "fire", would that not make the damage output susceptible to the fire extinguisher the federation can get on a mission?
the way i meant it was that real life flamethrowers fire napalm which causes it to stick to any surface and burn even against non-flammable materials like cement or bare dirt and rocks. But since the STO flamethrower uses plasma instead of napalm or jellied petroleum, the question i'm posing is should the plasma actually "stick" to it's surface like the plasma grenade or be more like a flamethrower that uses a much lower viscosity fuel to project?
On the subject of Abramsverse stuff in STO: http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/07...l-rivera-part/
And more reasons against JJ Trek: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiQ9piVgtWM
And even more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REOjxvQPQNQ
Career Officer
# 27
03-22-2013, 08:28 PM
I'm uncertain, but I think plasma is a "burn-in" damage.

It sortof gets into the target material and burns it up from the inside.

Kindof like superheated water being absorbed by a sponge, if that makes any sense.

Which makes me wonder how the Borg could adapt to that.

The metal plates and the organic tissues of their bodies are essentially being roasted from the inside out!

And it was shown in First Contact that warp coolant will pretty much vaporize their organic components, leaving just a pile of metal scrap.
Which I assume is a similar principle to the flamethrower.

Excuse me while I go invent a warp coolant thrower......
Starfleet Veteran
# 28
03-26-2013, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilarta View Post

And it was shown in First Contact that warp coolant will pretty much vaporize their organic components, leaving just a pile of metal scrap

Excuse me while I go invent a warp coolant thrower......
Of course, now this is definitely an intelligent way we could utilize warp coolant!! Besides, we needed something like the Ghostbusters 2 Slimethrower... I mean we already have the Proton Pack...

Think they will allow it? I know but it was a great thought Tilarta.
Rihannsu
# 29
04-03-2013, 12:46 PM
Well I tested this out on Tribble today and.... I didn't like it.

I tested it in one of the Easy Nukara areas and when fighting 1 or 2 ensign level Tholians I almost got creamed when using it. In part because I didn't know how to use it, but even after I figured that out it seemed to be very weak... I get that it has a small AoE, but... the fact that I had to manually target lock just didn't make sense in RPG mode. I'm not sure but the way the Tholians like to run around in circles seems to make it miss sometimes. And the fact that it doesn't fire continuously in primary fire is kinda pointless on a weapon with relatively low base damage. I quit using it after a few minutes and switched to a sniper rifle.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
# 30
04-03-2013, 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Well I tested this out on Tribble today and.... I didn't like it.

I tested it in one of the Easy Nukara areas and when fighting 1 or 2 ensign level Tholians I almost got creamed when using it. In part because I didn't know how to use it, but even after I figured that out it seemed to be very weak... I get that it has a small AoE, but... the fact that I had to manually target lock just didn't make sense in RPG mode. I'm not sure but the way the Tholians like to run around in circles seems to make it miss sometimes. And the fact that it doesn't fire continuously in primary fire is kinda pointless on a weapon with relatively low base damage. I quit using it after a few minutes and switched to a sniper rifle.
Wouldn't the Tholians have a high resistance to a flame thrower? Since they live in thousand degree temperatures?

I tried it on Romulans in the final Romulan FE, did okay AoE damage. But ran out of gas before I BBQed the whole group.