Captain
# 331
04-03-2013, 07:21 AM
@ superhombre777 - This was a gentle piece showing how two people meet in such a large galaxy: simple yet sweet and in the short time we see Javis I was a fan of him.

@ gulberat - I may be catching up, but this entry moved me because this is the first time I can recall seeing Strannik "let go" so to speak, and reveal another side of his true self. Well done!

@ ambassadormolari - The dialogue was very smooth and I couldn't help but be reminded of both Contact and ST:TMP - how ancient Earth transmissions was received and interpreted by an alien species and using it to communicate with humans coupled with a need to make contact with it's 'creator' to accomplish some task (even if in this case it was not a real task). I enjoyed Sann's quickiness

@ ironphoenix113 - I'm a fan of Vangelis and the name drop had me running to the internet to listen to the song. I grew up watching Cosmos with my dad, so the closing paragraph was beautiful - for lack of a better word.

@ marcusdkane - blam, blam, blam! Three in one that blends into each other and an ending that is clearly a 'to be continued'. Looking forward to how this plays out

@ zidanetribal - I played the Devidian arc: loved and hated every bit of it because it was really Trek to me yet I'm squeemish with terror movies, and that arc had some shocking moments for me. You know, the kind that makes you jump in your chair then feel silly because it's just a game. Good show and thank you for sharing!

I'm still reading two of the longer entries and may make comments on them but with LC 41 up - I may just send a PM to the authors on my thoughts.
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Captain
# 332
04-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrscarlet View Post
blam, blam, blam! Three in one that blends into each other and an ending that is clearly a 'to be continued'. Looking forward to how this plays out
Thanks I would've liked to blend the first and last vignettes better, but just not really possible. From the deck plan of deck 7 of the Nova Class, I was amused by the idea of everything taking part on that deck, and people bumping into each other I wanted to bring Mitchell back somehow, as well as bringing a bit more humility and maturity to his attitude, and this seemed a good way to do it
Captain
# 333
04-03-2013, 11:14 AM
Quote:
@ gulberat - I may be catching up, but this entry moved me because this is the first time I can recall seeing Strannik "let go" so to speak, and reveal another side of his true self. Well done!
Thanks. And yeah, that's the first time I've shown him completely unwinding. Needless to say he has to be very careful how and where he does that.

His true self is definitely a complicated question. Though very alien in a lot of ways, his human cultural identity is also very real, too.

Quote:
That's an interesting perspective, not one I would have considered, but certainly something I will bear in mind for future entries I think in this instance, it was simply a matter of cross-cultural differences, rather than deliberate withholding of information by the Adigeon doctor. The only information truly withheld, was MacLeod's omission to disclose the twin's genetic sequence containing the Lazarus gene, but that is simply medical policy rather than a personal failing on his part: 24th Century medicine can recognize a genetic marker in individuals who become immortal, and quantify the processes of the Quickening, but it does not understand it enough to tell if it is dormant or active until the actual event, so no one gets told, for fear of mass suicides if people were told, and the gene was to not activate, as happened with Alix.
One thing I'm wondering...what about Marcus' mother having the Lazarus gene? Did she, and the shark damage was so serious that it couldn't activate? Or did it come from Marcus' dad instead?
-----------
Do you like story-based Foundry missions? If so, please check out my mission, "Finding Lascaux."

Captain
# 334
04-03-2013, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
One thing I'm wondering...what about Marcus' mother having the Lazarus gene? Did she, and the shark damage was so serious that it couldn't activate? Or did it come from Marcus' dad instead?
They both would have been carrying part of the code which would then combine in their offspring, to create the full gene, but not have any benefit from it themselves... That said, given the limits of an immortal's regenerative ability, being mauled by a shark would leave them at best, missing limbs, and at worst, so badly maimed as to be better off dead... While the Quickening works extremely quickly, it is actually quite limited... Jack Harkness, on the other hand, would be able to regenerate from such injuries. One theory I have read, is that rather than healing, his body is re-set by Time itself, which is why his abilities only seem to work with traumatic injuries, rather than minor wounds... Highlander immortals seem to be the other way round, in that they can't heal massive trauma, but constantly heals minor wounds If Jack is a 10 in the Immortality Scale, Marcus would have been a 7-8, and S'rR's is only a 4, because she can only heal injuries, but still ages as per normal..

PS Request permission to reference Alyosha in my next LC?

Last edited by marcusdkane; 04-03-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Captain
# 335
04-03-2013, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
Jack Harkness, on the other hand, would be able to regenerate from such injuries. One theory I have read, is that rather than healing, his body is re-set by Time itself, which is why his abilities only seem to work with traumatic injuries, rather than minor wounds...
Pretty much exactly this, yes. Rose brought him back to life while temporarily possessing the entire power of the TARDIS' Time Vortex. Unfortunately, she didn't have the experience needed to use the power wisely - so she effectively froze his body at the moment just before the Daleks killed him. He can't grow his hair, he can't grow a beard, and he can't sustain any serious injury - much less die. I'm postulating that this is how he remained sane after being buried for centuries by Gray - his brain can't be traumatized any more.
-------------------------------------------

"You're as crazy as the people on Twitter!" - Samuel L. Jackson
Captain
# 336
04-03-2013, 12:48 PM
No problem on referencing Alyosha. . I shall be interested to see how it happens!
-----------
Do you like story-based Foundry missions? If so, please check out my mission, "Finding Lascaux."

Last edited by gulberat; 04-03-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Captain
# 337
04-03-2013, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
Pretty much exactly this, yes. Rose brought him back to life while temporarily possessing the entire power of the TARDIS' Time Vortex. Unfortunately, she didn't have the experience needed to use the power wisely - so she effectively froze his body at the moment just before the Daleks killed him. He can't grow his hair, he can't grow a beard, and he can't sustain any serious injury - much less die. I'm postulating that this is how he remained sane after being buried for centuries by Gray - his brain can't be traumatized any more.
Actually, in Torchwood: Miracle Day, there was a photo of Jack which had been taken in the 60s-70s, where he had grown a moustache Also, he had previously mentioned to the Doctor that he had found the odd grey hair (either suggesting that he was aging imperceptibly, or just a poorly written line to get in the Face of Boe joke...) My theory for his 'mental survival' when buried, was that he would have almost immediately suffocated, but as he would have then resurrected and choked down a load of dirt which would then remain, I'm wondering if he was actually dead (or to use the time analogy, 'paused') until he got dug up by the other Torchwood operatives... The fact he was able to regenerate from just a skull fragment, shoulder and arm in Torchwood: Children of Earth was nothing short of incredible, and way beyond the capability of a Highlander immortal...
Captain
# 338
04-03-2013, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
No problem on referencing Alyosha. . I shall be interested to see how it happens!
Fantastic, thankyou At present, I think it will only be a blink and you miss it reference, rather than a true presence, but there may be some dialogue at the end
Lt. Commander
# 339
04-03-2013, 03:37 PM
Quote:
I do have a question related to several of these LCs ... where do you find all the details on various cultures? I look at STO Wiki and Memory Alpha but some details are not described that I'm reading here. Are you making stuff up? Is it from a source I can'r access easily like a book or specific episode? I'm thinking I could expand my story telling if I knew a little more about these fictional cultures.
Yep, it's Memory Alpha for me too... mind-numbing amounts of Memory Alpha... and if in doubt, a Google search for episode transcripts can be helpful for tracking down this or that odd detail.

@sanders233: Just finished "Bound" and, while it may be long, it flies by really fast! Wonderful dialogue, a very fast-paced and involving story, and you really captured the sniveling self-righteousness of the Vorta, and the detatched arrogance of the female changeling, perfectly. Now I'm even more curious about playing "The 2800" and learning more about the events surrounding this story.

Also...

Quote:
Eraun ignored him and went on. "Imagine..." he paused for emphasis, "the hubris it takes to contain a god! The arrogance!"

"Actually," Ssharki remarked "all you need to contain a Founder is a hermetically sealed jar, about one-point-two liters in volume."
Ha!
Career Officer
# 340
04-03-2013, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklysoldier View Post
@sanders233: Just finished "Bound" and, while it may be long, it flies by really fast! Wonderful dialogue, a very fast-paced and involving story, and you really captured the sniveling self-righteousness of the Vorta, and the detatched arrogance of the female changeling, perfectly. Now I'm even more curious about playing "The 2800" and learning more about the events surrounding this story.
Thank you! I borrowed about half of their dialogue directly from the mission, but then I sort of built around that to fill in gaps and expand the story. I really enjoyed writing for Eraun. I think the Vorta may be the one species that I most love to hate.