Rihannsu
# 21
03-20-2013, 09:15 AM
Alot of people I know (all 3 of them...including me) would rather restructure the ranks so we cap out at captain. I would say some devs probably even support this, but for whatever reason we get what we have.

the way I see it, by now I should atleast be on the Klingon High Council, even being an Orion simply due to all of the powerful people in the Empire who owe me a favor (Pretty much everyone).
Lieutenant
# 22
04-03-2013, 01:55 PM
Another former Navy man checking in. I agree that (US) naval ranks from midshipman to captain make much more sense. Sure, carrier battle group commanders are admirals, but the carrier itself is still (typically) commanded by an O-6 captain. Pets or no, no one here is actually commanding a battle group in space. Leave "Commodore" as a lifer/veteran reward title or something. And (US) army rank equivalents for the KDF work out well, too.

And given that the captain of a ship is referred to as Captain whether they are lieutenants or commanders or captain, I do wish the dialogs on the fed side would reflect that. On the KDF side I don't care what they call me, I just wish they wouldn't drop my cloak.
"B'rel is klingon for 'orgasm'." -cmdrskyfaller
Captain
# 23
04-03-2013, 01:57 PM
And is its a US Navy tradition to beat dead horses?
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-03-2013, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
And is its a US Navy tradition to beat dead horses?
Yes this has been discussed many times on the forums to no avail. But I'll keep bringing it up because it's these little idiosyncrasies in the game that do it harm when totaled up. I remember being on here shortly after launch and witnessing players leaving in droves because the game wasn't trekkie enough. Maybe if Cryptic would've listened to their players back then they wouldn't have had to resort to the lock boxes.
Captain
# 25
04-03-2013, 09:24 PM
Well in the KDF since we are at the KDF we know Generals do command starships, Martok was given the command of the IKS Rotarran.

So you cannot use US Navy ranks as a excuse, they command Starships leading to a de-synch of KDF ranks and Federation ranks were Feds would top as Captains and KDF would top as generals.

If you want to bring back this dead horse to beat it, do it outside the Klingon forums because Klingon Generals do not fly desks ... they command ships.
Captain
# 26
04-04-2013, 12:27 AM
Quote:
Well in the KDF since we are at the KDF we know Generals do command starships, Martok was given the command of the IKS Rotarran.

So you cannot use US Navy ranks as a excuse, they command Starships leading to a de-synch of KDF ranks and Federation ranks were Feds would top as Captains and KDF would top as generals.

If you want to bring back this dead horse to beat it, do it outside the Klingon forums because Klingon Generals do not fly desks ... they command ships.
actually, General Martok commanded a Battlegroup of B'rels, in addition to his own-something more akin to the USAF's rank scheme where a squadron commander often flies his own bird (or, at least, did back in the cold war days...)

Oh, and beating a dead horse is a fine, upstanding, military tradition with roots all the way back to Rome, guys. Battle Standards (flags), Bugle calls, formation marching are all vestiges of a preindustrial era dating to before the widespread adoption of the Machine Gun, Truck, breech loading howitzer, man-portable mortar, breech loading rifle... Consider the humble Bayonet, a device initially invented to turn a Musket into a Pike.
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."

Look into Vanilla PvP if you're tired of the endless pursuit of grind, utterly unbalanced selections of geardo-inspired traits, and generally unbalanced and careless 'development' made mostly to turn this game into a second job.
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-04-2013, 05:55 AM
Quote:

If you would have read the whole of this forum post you would've known we all agreed it was proper to use army ranks for the KDF.

And unless you're 12 yrs old no one else thought being a general was cool, Colonel was chosen as the rank to top out at.

And ill post whatever I want on the forums despite what you think I should do. You sound more like a Fed forum troll than you do a KDF player.
Career Officer
# 28
04-04-2013, 06:58 AM
I'm also of the mindset that Captain should have been the cap for the current levels. The Rear Admiral/Brigadier General ranks might make some sense when they start releasing some of the content they have discussed (commanding more than one ship).

I would have preferred to see the Admiral and General rank titles limited to persons with top-rank player Fleet positions, actually.
Wampaq@Jnoh, Fleet Leader: ..Bloodbath and Beyond 'Iw HaH je Hoch!
Starbase 5-5-4-4 || Embassy 3-3-3 || Mine 3-3-3 || Spire 3-3-3
A laid back KDF fleet welcoming independent, casual, & part-time players and groups. Roms & alts welcome.
Send in-game mail to Wampaq@Jnoh, visit our recruitment thread and FB page for more info.