Captain
# 21
04-04-2013, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
Hi Captains,

With Legacy of Romulus due out next month, and the introduction of a third faction, the time has come to start thinking about a forum reorganization. As you are the community and utilize the forums, I'd love to get your input and suggestions. Ultimately, I'll also need to make sure that the organizations make sense for the Dev team as they are reading the forums for feedback constantly, but I'd really like to involve you all in the process.

So, let's get started! Feel free to make descriptive suggestions or post something like this:

STO Forums
.Information and Discussion
..Federation News Network
..Release Notes
..Dev Tracker

etc, etc, etc.

Feel free to use the index as your guide: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php

Here's a few questions we should also think about:

Should the shipyards sub-forum (builds, feedback, not art, etc.) still be separated by faction?
Are there any forums that you think should be combined?
Is STO discussion and General Community Feedback too similar or should we keep them separated?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and suggestions

Once we all come to, or at least try to, a consensus, the changes will be made. The goal for this is a week or two before the expansion launches. NOTE: These changes will not include the future update mentioned here, nor will anything else be changing at this time, other than what forums we have and the organization of them.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
I've never really felt that the shipyard sections needed to be divided by faction; it's not like the ships are so radically different that there is no crossover as far as builds go. Having everyone discussing these things in the same place would make it easier for us to compare notes. The same applies to the faction gameplay sections; but the KDF players seem to like having a place to call home on the forums, so it might be a good idea to keep those.

The STO discussion and General Community Feedback sections are, to a large extent, used interchangeably; except that people don't read the threads in Feedback so often. There's a lot of good stuff that just gets lost in there, that could just as easily have been in Discussion. Having said that, concentrating that stuff into a single sub-forum means fewer possible places for angry people to rage; so if they were combined, then the good stuff might just get buried anyway. Maybe you could have a separate 'Complaints' forum?

Fleet Recruitment sections, and technical support sections, need to be more prominently displayed. I wouldn't be surprised if many new players don't even realise they are there.

Some things could probably stand to be tucked inside other things. Boff and Doff sections, for example, seem like they should be sub-sections of a 'Powers and Abilities' section or something. The top page of the forums is just too big.
Exploration suggestions thread - give it a read

BTW, you'd pronounce it 'Cap'n Manks'

I protest the removal of exploration clusters
Starfleet Veteran
# 22
04-04-2013, 12:05 PM
As a former Moderator on another unrelated site, and the Administrator on a fleet website, here is how I would reorganize this site:

Information
-Galactic News Network (Renamed from Federation News Network)
-Release Notes
-Dev Tracker
Discussion
-Academy (could possibly rename this, so it fits with all 3 factions)
-Star Trek Online Discussion
Recreational - Off Topic Discussion
-Ten Forward
-Role Play Forum
Feedback
-Federation Gameplay (Combined with General Feedback)
-Klingon Gameplay
-Romulan Gameplay
-Duty Officer System
-PVE Gameplay
-PVP Gameplay
-Character Builds and Powers
-Bridge Officers and BOFF Powers (could possibly combine this with Character Builds and Powers)
-Missions and Episodes
-Controls and User Interface
-C-Store and Promotions
Art of Star Trek Online
-Ship Art
-Epic Screenshots
-Beauty Shots
Shipyards
-Federation
-Klingon
-Romulan
The Foundry for Star Trek Online
-Discussion & Feedback
-Mission Database
-Bug Reports
Support
-
Gameplay Bugs
-PC and Technical Issues
-Graphical Issues
Fleet Recruitment
-Federation
-Klingon
-Romulan
Test Servers
-Tribble
--Release Notes and Announcements
--Bug Reports
--Discussion and Feedback
-Redshirt
--Release Notes and Announcements
--Bug Reports
--Discussion and Feedback

Of course, this is just my opinion.
Fleet Admiral Joseph D. Ridgeway
The Armada
www.thebikinibottomarmada.com
Original join date: Feb 5, 2010
Twitter: @davejl_99, & @STO_BBArmada
Empire Veteran
# 23
04-04-2013, 12:08 PM
seems to me a Federation Gameplay, Klingon Gameplay, Romulan Gameplay, PvE Gameplay, and Missions and Episodes is all talking about the same thing, PVE. role that all into 1. just make 1 shipyard subforum too.

also General Community Feedback and Star Trek Online Discussion, those basically seem like the same thing to me too

Character Builds and Powers and Bridge Officers and BOff Powers are certainly talking about the same thing. plus actual builds are discuses almost exclusively in the ship yard section or PVP section, those sections arent even used for that. any of the posts there now could be rolled into the academy.

so it should look about like this

News Network
Release Notes
Dev Tracker
Star Trek Online Discussion
Ten Forward

The Academy
Duty Officer System
Shipyards
PvE Gameplay
PvP Gameplay
Controls and User Interface
The Art of Star Trek Online
C-Store and Promotions

the foundry and test server stuff should be unchanged
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Captain
# 24
04-04-2013, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepopeofbeers View Post
If I had to design the forums, I'd probably keep it much the same, but adjust it like this:

News Network (I agree it needs a rename.)
Release Notes
Dev Tracker
The Academy
Star Trek Online Discussion (General Community Feedback should be rolled into here. Look at all the posts in GCF. I'll wait. Notice anything? Everyone is discussing STO. Where are they not discussing STO? Star Trek Online Discussion.)
Ten Forward

Federation Gameplay
Klingon Gameplay
Romulan Gameplay
Shipyards/Fleetyards (Consoles aren't faction specific any longer, except for a few examples, and Romulans will be able to fly allied ships. So why not consolidate?)
Captain and Bridge Officer Builds and Powers (Consolidate!)
Duty Officer System (Too different, I think, to roll into the Captain and BOff forum.)
PvE Gameplay
PvP Gameplay (Where else would we cry for nerfs? )
Missions and Episodes (I almost cut this forum because it's been pretty dead lately, but then I remembered how active it got when Temporal Ambassador and the 2800 debuted. Plus, we need a place to discuss non-faction specific missions.)
C-Store and Promotions

And I'd keep the Foundry, Support, Fleet Administrative Station, and Test Servers the same.
I like this suggestion. Simple and clean.
Republic Veteran
# 25
04-04-2013, 12:23 PM
I think there are way too many sub forums, and the idea of adding even more every time you add a faction seems silly. I know I have had issues finding information in the past, often finding the same or similar information is in multiple places.

We don't have Fed and KDF PvP/PVE forums, do we need Fed and KDF shipyards?

I think you are better off segmenting the game by play type:

General Community Feedback

Space Combat - Ships, Builds, Equipment, and Powers

Ground Combat - Builds, Equipment, and Powers

PvP

Crew Systems - BOFFs and DOFFs

Missions, Fleet Actions, STFs, FEs

Controls and UI

The Art of STO

C-Store

You can just look at the topics on the first page of each subform to see a lot of that part of the forum to see discussion is really spread out. with similar topics across multiple areas.
Captain
# 26
04-04-2013, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepopeofbeers View Post
If I had to design the forums, I'd probably keep it much the same, but adjust it like this:

News Network (I agree it needs a rename.)
Release Notes
Dev Tracker
The Academy
Star Trek Online Discussion (General Community Feedback should be rolled into here. Look at all the posts in GCF. I'll wait. Notice anything? Everyone is discussing STO. Where are they not discussing STO? Star Trek Online Discussion.)
Ten Forward

Federation Gameplay
Klingon Gameplay
Romulan Gameplay
Shipyards/Fleetyards (Consoles aren't faction specific any longer, except for a few examples, and Romulans will be able to fly allied ships. So why not consolidate?)
Captain and Bridge Officer Builds and Powers (Consolidate!)
Duty Officer System (Too different, I think, to roll into the Captain and BOff forum.)
PvE Gameplay
PvP Gameplay (Where else would we cry for nerfs? )
Missions and Episodes (I almost cut this forum because it's been pretty dead lately, but then I remembered how active it got when Temporal Ambassador and the 2800 debuted. Plus, we need a place to discuss non-faction specific missions.)
C-Store and Promotions

And I'd keep the Foundry, Support, Fleet Administrative Station, and Test Servers the same.
I like this one, though Missions and Episodes could likely be rolled into PvE Gameplay or Online Discussion...
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 27
04-04-2013, 12:50 PM
Great suggestions! Keep them coming

Another question to ponder: where do you all think feedback about the reputation and fleet holdings system should live? I was thinking it could be combined in one forum with the DOFF system, as the same devs work on it, but how do you feel about that?

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Lt. Commander
# 28
04-04-2013, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
Great suggestions! Keep them coming

Another question to ponder: where do you all think feedback about the reputation and fleet holdings system should live? I was thinking it could be combined in one forum with the DOFF system, as the same devs work on it, but how do you feel about that?

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Sounds logical to me!
Commander
# 29
04-04-2013, 12:58 PM
Hi again Brandon,

I agree with the network rename and need for reorganization in the forums to accomodate the upcoming Romulan Faction. Here are some suggestions and ideas, feel free to discuss.

1- As STO is home to multiple factions, replace the current forum header image, which currently features a Federation starbase, to one representative of all 3 factions. Perhaps a graduated blending image showing an integral aspect of all 3 factions in simple, classy fashion may work. I can design an original one if supplied with the right images, or it can be made into a forum contest to pick the best replacement.

2- Suggestions for the renaming the Federation News Network category: The Embassy, Ambassador Herald Network, or simply Herald (or Ambassador) Network.

3- Rename Dev Tracker to Dev Central or move it to a category for all dev posts and interaction.

4- Move Star Trek Online Discussion category to where the Dev Tracker is or below it and rename it The Round Table. Also, specify in the description it is for game discussion, as opposed to Community Feedback which is for feedback of all related dynamics.

5- Place The Academy above the Ten Forward category as they are for new players, one to introduce, the other to ask and learn in.

6- Seperate faction categories from Feedback and create new individual Community forum sections for putting faction specific categories in one place, whereby you can easily create new categories if you add more factions in future. Create 3 individual faction specific categories, 1) Federation Community, 2) Klingon Community, 3) Romulan Community, and combine the Fleet Administrative Station category into each one respectively.

7- Rename the General Community Feedback category to Community Feedback Lounge.

8- Remove the Character Builds and Powers category, as it should be faction specific, perhaps included 1 each in the Community faction sections.

9- Rename the Bridge Officers and BOffs category to Bridge Command.

10- Move the Support section to 2nd section position under the Information and Discussion section. This facilitates access for both staff and players.

11- Place the new Community sections where the Fleet Administrative section is now, placing the fleet category into their respective factions as detailed in #6 above.

12- Add a moderator section to the end, after the Test Servers section, where we can see members who have visited the forum, how many posts were made today, some interesting tidbits to interest viewers who visit the forums regularly like me (Optional).

Thank you,

Xean
Empire Veteran
# 30
04-04-2013, 01:03 PM
I'd vote to combine:
Fed + KDF (+Rom) Shipyards
Boff and character powers (i.e. all powers)
PvE Gameplay + Missions&Episodes
STO Discussion + General Feedback
Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
Closed Thread