Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,160
# 1911
04-05-2013, 07:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfang240 View Post
tactical consoles boost a weapon's base damage, before anything else is added; replacing a blue mk xi specific console with the general one would take the DPS boost of a common mk xi beam array from its base of 210 DPV + the 26% boost of a specialized console, which is an added 54.6 and totals 264.6, down to 246.75 (210 *17.5% equaling 36.75), for a grand total DPV loss of 17.85 for that one beam array...big freaking whoop
Without any other variables, with only 6 weapons, that's 107.1 DPV, which for a Beam Array translates to 87 DPS.

That's a loss of 26,100 in a good 5 minute run, a loss of 52,200 in an alright 10 minute run, and a loss of 78,300 in a minimal 15 minute run.

Why would anyone who knows what they're doing give up damage for no reason?

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." - James T. Kirk
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,334
# 1912
04-05-2013, 07:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjeff View Post
Without any other variables, with only 6 weapons, that's 107.1 DPV, which for a Beam Array translates to 87 DPS.

That's a loss of 26,100 in a good 5 minute run, a loss of 52,200 in an alright 10 minute run, and a loss of 78,300 in a minimal 15 minute run.

Why would anyone who knows what they're doing give up damage for no reason?
fun, maybe? last i checked, this was still a GAME, and people play GAMES to have FUN

if someone wants to have fun by using a rainbow setup, who are you to tell them they can't?
Quote:
[Combat (Self)] Your Kumari Phaser Wing Cannons - Overload deals 128698 (67705) Phaser Damage(Critical) to Borg Bird-of-Prey.
don't mess with the andorians
Quote:
Originally Posted by starswordc View Post
If it walks like an idiot, talks like an idiot, and acts like an idiot, it's a frakking idiot.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,160
# 1913
04-05-2013, 12:09 PM
Some people have fun griefing others too. Who are you to tell them they can't ruin everybody else's fun? That's an indefensible position and I don't see your point. The assumption is that everyone wants to do their best, especially in a group event. If you don't, then you're a bad teammate and negatively affecting everyone else. This is a thread of over nineteen hundred posts condemning that very thing.

So the question stands - why would anyone choose to be less effective? Generally they don't, so it's out of ignorance. If they're ignorant about something basic like that (basic because it's readily available information on tooltips), they're probably ignorant about other stuff too.

It's a common indicator of ignorance, not the cause of incompetence (which is ignorance itself). There's no reason for anyone to choose rainbows if they intend to contribute as much to the team as possible. If they don't intend to do their best, that's a separate issue entirely.

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." - James T. Kirk

Last edited by darkjeff; 04-05-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,180
# 1914
04-05-2013, 12:33 PM
I've no issue with rainbows usually, but I have less patience for injuries.

I've just had my worst ISE run in my STO experience, not all of use performed admirably but one ship was just...well, let me show you (names edited out).

I hope it was a troll, because I don't want to believe players to this intentionally. Rainbows are not that great, but these are just terrible.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,246
# 1915
04-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupaholic View Post
well, let me show you (names edited out).
At least you can only have a max of 50 injuries. He is half way to not getting any worse.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,477
# 1916
04-05-2013, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupaholic View Post
I've no issue with rainbows usually, but I have less patience for injuries.

I've just had my worst ISE run in my STO experience, not all of use performed admirably but one ship was just...well, let me show you (names edited out).

I hope it was a troll, because I don't want to believe players to this intentionally. Rainbows are not that great, but these are just terrible.
:S

I think some of them actually don't understand the injury system and that it really hampers your ships performance. Either that or they don't even know that there's an injury system in place. The other day I was running my Defera dalies and clicked on a ship I didn't recognize (sometimes at first glace I don't recognize what the ship is in passing) and it had a whole bar of injuries like your screenshot there.

Now that I think about it, maybe some other sort of mechanism to let players know they are injured are is needed. Instead of just a bar down by your other buffs perhaps something like the low ship HP screen flashing or maybe some display that says "Alert! Ship systems damaged!" or...I don't know...something. Make it irritating enough that people will actually want to fix their damage instead of charging right back into the fight. Hmm... I may have to think more on that idea for a bit.

Edit: You know what...yeah now that I think about those damage icons are blue as shown in your screenshot. Some might be mistaking it for a buff icon and not a bad damage icon. I propose we need another system for alerting players that their ship has been damaged and needs repairs.

-Lantesh
Since Feb. 2009

Last edited by lan451; 04-05-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 247
# 1917 laughs and giggles.
04-05-2013, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfang240 View Post
fun, maybe? last i checked, this was still a GAME, and people play GAMES to have FUN

if someone wants to have fun by using a rainbow setup, who are you to tell them they can't?
Some of us just like to finish the optionals in 4 minutes or less rather that 4 minutes or more.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 59
# 1918
04-05-2013, 07:57 PM
Someone yelled at me yesterday for coming in to an STF with a "Vesta class with cannons". I didn't get it. Would they prefer a weaker weapon?

Join the Vulcan Kolinahr Fleet
http://www.vulcankolinahrfleet.com/
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,041
# 1919
04-06-2013, 02:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar1138 View Post
Someone yelled at me yesterday for coming in to an STF with a "Vesta class with cannons". I didn't get it. Would they prefer a weaker weapon?
they were obviously right. the vesta hasnt the turnrate for cannons. you should put all turrets on it, different colors each, because sci ships have a bonus for proc rate, so you would disable the enemies subsystems while doing plasma which deals more dmg because of the disruptor proc. I do this, and it is very effective, things just melt
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
10k DPS Vesta threads: 1; 2
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 331
# 1920
04-06-2013, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lan451 View Post
:S

I think some of them actually don't understand the injury system and that it really hampers your ships performance. Either that or they don't even know that there's an injury system in place. The other day I was running my Defera dalies and clicked on a ship I didn't recognize (sometimes at first glace I don't recognize what the ship is in passing) and it had a whole bar of injuries like your screenshot there.

Now that I think about it, maybe some other sort of mechanism to let players know they are injured are is needed. Instead of just a bar down by your other buffs perhaps something like the low ship HP screen flashing or maybe some display that says "Alert! Ship systems damaged!" or...I don't know...something. Make it irritating enough that people will actually want to fix their damage instead of charging right back into the fight. Hmm... I may have to think more on that idea for a bit.

Edit: You know what...yeah now that I think about those damage icons are blue as shown in your screenshot. Some might be mistaking it for a buff icon and not a bad damage icon. I propose we need another system for alerting players that their ship has been damaged and needs repairs.
Most of them know pretty well about their injuries. Just ask them to repair them and you will hear that they wan't spend EC for components and use them at STF because they can repair for free in Starbase.
Sorry for any mistakes, english isn't my primary language.

"Dear players we have for you new useless event and only-one-map-use-divices, and much more new "content", but we can't repair glitch in chat system which make mutes on private channels permament. So deal with it and give us your remaining money."
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:17 PM.