Community Moderator
# 141
04-06-2013, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkelfofficer View Post
And yet your blurb claims to present news and developer interviews. That's called reporting, making you a reporter, which is a synonym for journalist.
No, that's always also been part of a commentator's job. Hell, it'd be impossible for them to do commentary without having some news upon which to comment.

Trying to redefine her job as something else so that you can take her to task for not meeting the standards of that OTHER job is rather unfair. It is literally her entire job to offer opinion, and you're complaining that she offers opinion.

Reporters report; commentators comment. It's what they do. It's *ALWAYS* been what they do. Attempting to redefine it now is at best self-serving.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Commander
# 142
04-06-2013, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
No, that's always also been part of a commentator's job. Hell, it'd be impossible for them to do commentary without having some news upon which to comment.

Trying to redefine her job as something else so that you can take her to task for not meeting the standards of that OTHER job is rather unfair. It is literally her entire job to offer opinion, and you're complaining that she offers opinion.

Reporters report; commentators comment. It's what they do. It's *ALWAYS* been what they do. Attempting to redefine it now is at best self-serving.
I'm not redefining anything. It's right there on her page:

Quote:
Captain's Log is now transmitting direct from Terilynn Shull every Monday, providing news, rumors, and dev interviews about Star Trek Online.
She claims to be reporting news, not providing commentary or analysis. End of story.

Last edited by darkelfofficer; 04-06-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Community Moderator
# 143
04-06-2013, 04:35 PM
And I'll counter that with an actual attributed source:

http://massively.joystiq.com/editor/terilynn-shull

...which shows her title is "-Columnist-", and that she is:

Quote:
Terilynn is a Star Trek aficionado and the writer of Massively's Star Trek Online column, Captain's Log.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Empire Veteran
# 144
04-06-2013, 05:07 PM
Well she could be all of those things. Also I'm surprised that someone got into an argument with a moderator.
The Emperor

Do not presume to have the capability to understand me for you see, I simply am.
Commander
# 145
04-06-2013, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by westx211 View Post
Well she could be all of those things. Also I'm surprised that someone got into an argument with a moderator.
Having a purple name doesn't make him right.

-----Above post is darkelofficer's---

EDIT: This conversation is too far off topic to keep it going. But, as someone who used to work for Massively, I will say that the Columnists' job description is not to be journalistic but to opine. Those that post news on the site are the journalists. Some journalists may also write columns, so their columns will contain opinions. To me, Teri's signature, because she is a columnist, just indicates that her columns will include news, interviews and rumors. /thread -Brandon

Last edited by pwebranflakes; 04-06-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Closed Thread