Career Officer
# 11
04-06-2013, 04:28 PM
I think, in Star Trek, they'd just use the holodeck to make something to order.
Empire Veteran
# 12
04-06-2013, 04:46 PM
I'm with the OP. A little religion, whatever it may be in Star Trek, would be nice.

Not sure how it could be implimented though.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Survivor of Romulus
# 13
04-06-2013, 04:48 PM
Have to say this is a bad idea
Community Moderator
# 14
04-06-2013, 04:54 PM
The TOS Enterprise had a chapel. It was in several episodes; for instance, Balance of Terror. Since that episode introduced the Romulans, May would be a perfect time to introduce it.

Technically, the Enterprise had TWO chapels, but one of them was a room, and the other was a nurse.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-06-2013, 05:17 PM
By the time of Star Trek, religion would be a personal thing and not something embraced by the Federation. TOS was a little different, the federation was relatively new. But meeting 1000s of species would be rather humbling on one's concept of God.

If people want a personal place of worship on a Federation starship or starbase they have their personal quarters and they have the holodeck. When characters do worship, that is where you see them do so. Aside from DS9, which is a Bajoran station. You will likely not find an endorsed chapel on a starbase or starship in the tng era.

The only religious human I can recall in the TNG era is Chakotay. Maybe O'Brien. Most humans are likely either atheistic or at least agnostic and non-religious.
Captain
# 16
04-06-2013, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemepwe View Post
I'm with the OP. A little religion, whatever it may be in Star Trek, would be nice.

Not sure how it could be implimented though.
I always took the moral of Trek, or TNG at least, to be that Humans had evolved beyond the need for religions. Trek is about hope and optimism and tolerance after all; not sure how a 'chapel' would fit in with that.
Empire Veteran
# 17
04-06-2013, 05:23 PM
No. In Star Trek, religous people are always barbarian and primitive. Here you don't need gods so that your little mind can stay afloat. You born, you die, with no reason and have to be happy with that. It's supposed to work. Enjoy the 25th century.
Lieutenant
# 18
04-06-2013, 05:58 PM
In any other IP game the idea might be sound but not in a trek one.

Gene Roddenberry did not want religion in the show however he did on occasion allow non-denominational references (such as the chapel in enterprise) for story purposes on both the shows he was with.

this is a quote from the wikipedia site

"Although Roddenberry was raised as a Southern Baptist, he instead considered himself a humanist and agnostic. He saw religion as the cause of many wars and human suffering.Brannon Braga has said that Roddenberry made it known to the writers of Star Trek and Star Trek: The Next Generation that religion and mystical thinking were not to be included, and that in Roddenberry's vision of Earth's future, everyone was an atheist and better for it."

Personally I am an agnostic too and agree whole heartedly with what Roddenberrys vision with the above was. Plus with so few appearances of religious buildings/areas (Earth religion building/areas) it could be argued that its not canon

Executive Officer of Alpha Squadron
Empire Veteran
# 19
04-06-2013, 06:05 PM
I'm a religious person IRL (to say the least), but I agree with the last couple of posters...there are no Earth religions in Star Trek. Though there was a room in Balance of Terror where a wedding took place, it was the Captain that performed the civil service, not a religious practitioner of any kind. A Bajoran or Vulcan officer might have part of their quarters set aside for meditation, but there shouldn't be anything formal. There definitely shouldn't be any Starfleet chaplains or the like.

Career Officer
# 20
04-06-2013, 06:13 PM
Didn't Kirk take out Apollo in the Series? Then I think they smoked "GOD" with a disruptor blast in the face from a BOP in the movies. I would prefer they fixed bugs in this game, but I suppose another area less used than the Temple to the prophets on DS-9 would be OK. Gives a place for the RPers to marry each other, so I get spared an hour of their mush talk in local chat.
That redshirt, Totally got vaped!!!
Closed Thread