Lt. Commander
# 21
04-06-2013, 06:14 PM
Jesus, people really have a lot of hate for fictional religions on this forum.
Lieutenant
# 22
04-06-2013, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshicus View Post
I always took the moral of Trek, or TNG at least, to be that Humans had evolved beyond the need for religions.
An that is the worst part of the Star Trek ethos- that part of "Gene's vision" I thoroughly and completely reject.

So, putting in Earth religions would then bring in the notion of how they would react to all the various "discoveries" of the Trek universe, so ... perhaps not mentioning them at all would be the best option overall
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Also (from Memory Alpha):

Quote:
Gene Roddenberry himself is said to have rejected the idea of religion lasting into Humanity's future. Ronald D. Moore commented regarding the fate of specific religions in Trek history: "Gene felt very strongly that all of our contemporary Earth religions would be gone by the 23rd century, and while few of us around here actually share that opinion, we feel that we should leave this part of the Trek universe alone." (AOL chat, 1997) "It was a core tenet of Gene's Trek." (AOL chat, 1997)

Brannon Braga said that "In Gene Roddenberry's imagining of the future [...] religion is completely gone. Not a single human being on Earth believes in any of the nonsense that has plagued our civilization for thousands of years. This was an important part of Roddenberry's mythology. He, himself, was a secular humanist and made it well-known to writers of Star Trek and Star Trek: The Next Generation that religion and superstition and mystical thinking were not to be part of his universe. On Roddenberry's future Earth, everyone is an atheist. And that world is the better for it."
Although there have been some examples of religious humans (the hat comes off every now and then), religion appears to be pretty much dead amongst technologically advanced races in the Trek universe. The only truly religious race in Star Trek is the Bajorans, and they just have to grow up and realize the beings they worship aren't even close to being gods.
Career Officer
# 24
04-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokinatchapunx View Post
Jesus, people really have a lot of hate for fictional religions on this forum.
My opinion, religon is fiction. We are over developed monkeys, with an arrogant opinon of our own purpose in the cosmos.
That redshirt, Totally got vaped!!!

Last edited by cptjhunter; 04-06-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-06-2013, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoagonistes View Post
An that is the worst part of the Star Trek ethos- that part of "Gene's vision" I thoroughly and completely reject.

So, putting in Earth religions would then bring in the notion of how they would react to all the various "discoveries" of the Trek universe, so ... perhaps not mentioning them at all would be the best option overall
Atheism and Agnosticism are fast growing in our society. For a unified world government to exist, the majority of people in even the most religious countries in the world would have to become either atheistic or agnostic. Differing beliefs is one of the leading causes (if not the primary leading cause) of war and violence in this world.

There is no way the Federation would exist if enough of the world were religious to support a chapel on a startbase, and there is no way to have a chapel without favoring one religion over others. What symbolism does it have in it? With no symbolism it is just a closet.

This is what holodecks are for. This is an era when people think and do for themselves and have whatever they need at the push of a button, they do not need others to build a special room just for them. The whole idea is absurd.

In the next few hundred years humanity will either be predominantly atheist or a theocracy, our growing population and scientific understanding only supports one or the other. And a Theocracy requires some libraries to be burned down. The Star Trek Universe is clearly not the latter.
Republic Veteran
# 26
04-06-2013, 06:33 PM
For the love of Q...this thread is going to get ugly real soon....this is not Zone chat

Starfleet Veteran
# 27
04-06-2013, 06:38 PM
No, a chapel has no place on a Federation starbase and it was established both in and out of universe that religion was non-existant or extremely limited in the Federation.

The game already has Temples where you can have a "religious experience" - Although, why you dont just go to a real chapel if your hard up for religion is a rather good question.

Keep religion out of where it dosent belong.
Republic Veteran
# 28
04-06-2013, 06:39 PM
There is precedent for a non-denominational chapel in Star Trek.

While Organized Religion as we know it seemed passe by the 24th Century, spirituality certainly wasn't and was touched on quite a number of times in TNG and on.

I don't see why there can't be a chapel space for players to have Weddings and Funerals, I don't think the idea is innately religious at all.

Here is a render someone did of the chapel form Balance of Terror:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7025/6...c1944962_b.jpg
Empire Veteran
# 29
04-06-2013, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoagonistes View Post

Again, I'm not an atheist either, but this is a fictional universe setting. I don't want to see religion presented here any more than I want to see a synagogue or a crucifix in LotRO. If Cryptic were to decide to deviate from Trek canon so significantly as to bring back Earth religions, no matter how they treated them, they'd be bound to offend somebody with their interpretation or by including some and not including others.

Best policy is to stick to canon, and canon is: no religion on Earth.

Republic Veteran
# 30
04-06-2013, 06:46 PM
Earth still has religion...see Balance of terror, and see Data's Day for a bunch of trek fans you guys have selective canoning

Closed Thread