Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 134
# 31
04-06-2013, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reximuz View Post
There is precedent for a non-denominational chapel in Star Trek.

While Organized Religion as we know it seemed passe by the 24th Century, spirituality certainly wasn't and was touched on quite a number of times in TNG and on.

I don't see why there can't be a chapel space for players to have Weddings and Funerals, I don't think the idea is innately religious at all.

Here is a render someone did of the chapel form Balance of Terror:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7025/6...c1944962_b.jpg
Is that a chapel, or is that a performance space (like the one in TNG where musical performances and plays would take place) in which a lectern has been set up in order to hold a wedding? As I noted previously, there were no religious functionaries on the Enterprise, the Captain of the ship performed a civil service there. There are no Starfleet chaplains. Ships counselors perform the jobs traditionally assigned to chaplains in the present day Armed Forces.

Since there are no religious functionaries in the crew, and presumably not a ton of weddings that take place onboard ship (we've only seen a handful, and only the one in Balance of Terror on TOS took place in such a room), it seems to me far more likely that some kind of performance or briefing room was set up for the civil service, than that they have a room set aside unused except when a redshirt bites it and they happen to want a military funeral in space far away from said dead crewman's family and friends.
___________________

Lt. Commander
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 103
# 32
04-06-2013, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjhunter View Post
My opinion, religon is fiction. We are over developed monkeys, with an arrogant opinon of our own purpose in the cosmos.
Me, I'm agnostic in that I don't really know what the truth is. (Also, I don't really care.) But I'm more than happy to let everybody else have their own opinions, go to their churches and do their own thing so long as they are not hurting anybody. So please, let's have some chapels added to fleet starbases. It's a very reasonable request considering that there are indeed religious people in the Star Trek universe - whether or not anybody here admits it.

Here's the thing I don't get though. You clearly seem to think that you are entitled to your own beliefs and your own opinion (as do I). But at the same time you can't let somebody else have theirs? You are a hypocrite - pure and simple.
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,179
# 33
04-06-2013, 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryhausen View Post
Is that a chapel, or is that a performance space (like the one in TNG where musical performances and plays would take place) in which a lectern has been set up in order to hold a wedding? As I noted previously, there were no religious functionaries on the Enterprise, the Captain of the ship performed a civil service there. There are no Starfleet chaplains. Ships counselors perform the jobs traditionally assigned to chaplains in the present day Armed Forces.

Since there are no religious functionaries in the crew, and presumably not a ton of weddings that take place onboard ship (we've only seen a handful, and only the one in Balance of Terror on TOS took place in such a room), it seems to me far more likely that some kind of performance or briefing room was set up for the civil service, than that they have a room set aside unused except when a redshirt bites it and they happen to want a military funeral in space far away from said dead crewman's family and friends.
I guess you missed the part where the Bride after losing her man was kneeling and praying.

The Following signature is not endorsed by the Dukat administration, and Down with Bajor Party


Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 134
# 34
04-06-2013, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
I guess you missed the part where the Bride after losing her man was kneeling and praying.
That doesn't make it a chapel, any more than T'Pol meditating in her quarters made that a chapel.
___________________

Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,574
# 35
04-06-2013, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokinatchapunx View Post
Me, I'm agnostic in that I don't really know what the truth is. (Also, I don't really care.) But I'm more than happy to let everybody else have their own opinions, go to their churches and do their own thing so long as they are not hurting anybody. So please, let's have some chapels added to fleet starbases. It's a very reasonable request considering that there are indeed religious people in the Star Trek universe - whether or not anybody here admits it.

Here's the thing I don't get though. You clearly seem to think that you are entitled to your own beliefs and your own opinion (as do I). But at the same time you can't let somebody else have theirs? You are a hypocrite - pure and simple.
Did you read the entire thread? I stated that if the Rpers wanted one fine by me.
Read the whole thread before you post an attack, you will look alot smarter in the future.
That redshirt, Totally got vaped!!!
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 134
# 36
04-06-2013, 07:05 PM
There also seems to be some confusion here...weddings and funerals are not necessarily religious functions. A wedding like the one performed by Captain Kirk (not a rabbi last time I checked) is not a religious ceremony. Its a civil ceremony. I live in a state capital city. Every weekend people are married by justices of the peace and judges in the capitol rotunda. Its not a religious cermony. The capitol rotunda is not a chapel. JPs and judges are not clergy. I have a friend who's a notary who marries non-religious people all the time.

Likewise, plenty of atheists have memorials when they die where their friends and family get together to remember them and celebrate their life. It doesn't mean they necessarily believe in God or the afterlife. Its part of the grieving process.
___________________

Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,780
# 37
04-06-2013, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by opheliadraegonne View Post
Differing beliefs is one of the leading causes (if not the primary leading cause) of war and violence in this world.
It's really depressing how often religion is blamed for the greed and violence of man.

Large scale wars are almost always about power and resources, though. Religion is injected into them as a rallying cry for the gullible, but is virtually never the root cause.

Religion is only ever a problem when you're uptight about it and/or ignore the usual messages of loving your neighbors or finding peace in yourself that most religions center on. As such a utopian Earth does not preclude religion, only the abuse of religion for personal material gain.

At my most cynical, Judeo-Christian belief systems may be phased out in favor of systems of belief more focused on self-discipline and discovery such as Buddhism, as those tend to be less about following the example of a single entity and more about oneself.

In any event I fail to see how a utopia precludes a spiritual system of belief.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 103
# 38
04-06-2013, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjhunter View Post
Did you read the entire thread? I stated that if the Rpers wanted one fine by me.
Read the whole thread before you post an attack, you will look alot smarter in the future.


My bad. It sure seemed like you were saying they were stupid monkeys for wanting a chapel.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,416
# 39
04-06-2013, 07:37 PM
When it comes to a chapel, I wouldn't mind seeing one. Because the military and in places like hospitals and universities, there are Interfaith Chapels that respect any and all spiritual beliefs. And easily could see one on a Federation starship or on a starbase. (Well there was a chapel on the Enterprise).



But when it comes to religion on Earth or in Starfleet, people on previous posts said it was atheistic, but really its far from it. Because time and time again Starfleet has shown they respect any and all types of religious beliefs, which are agnostic views. The only times in Star Trek you could say is athesistic is when they challenged aliens who were posing as gods or thought to be gods.

As for "no religion on Earth", I would have to disagree. Captain Robau of the Kelvin was remarked by Abrams to be Muslim, we seen references to Native American beliefs here and there, and bunch of other moments. We even saw Christmas in Generations.

The thing is, the writers didn't really wanted to refer to mainstream religions in hopes of not offending anyones beliefs at the same time of respecting all of them to show that Star Trek, all are welcome. And that's what needs to be done in STO as well. (Seen too many religious bashing in ESD zone chat).

Last edited by azurianstar; 04-06-2013 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Small Correction
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,574
# 40
04-06-2013, 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokinatchapunx View Post
My bad. It sure seemed like you were saying they were stupid monkeys for wanting a chapel.
No problem! My response was for a "people get upset about fictional sci-fi religons" my response was"aren't all religion fiction"We are all stupid monkeys , whose era on this planet will be far shorter than the dinosaur era. I didn't set myself apart from, or above my own analogy.
That redshirt, Totally got vaped!!!
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:35 PM.