04-07-2013, 02:35 AM
Actually Athiests died out in the 21st century

Everyone in later centuries believes in Gene
Career Officer
# 62 Good Idea
04-07-2013, 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehlinde View Post
I would like to ask for the addition of a chapel to the Star Base, a place of spiritual understanding. Something non-dominational. Can't be offending anyone.

There have been times of grief in my real life where I retreated to sacred places in the virtual world. Seems this place could use some of the same.

Anyone else have any ideas or something to add to this suggestion?

This could be an idea for one of the featured 200K dilithium things.

I think it is a good plan. Perhaps in time they could have them scattered throughout the game. Maybe this is a bit to far out of the box, but im a funeral director in the real world and i have often thought it might be nice to have some type of in game memorial for players that have died. Im not sure how it would work exactly but it is possible to become quite close to people we meet in these online games and i think it would be good to have someway to remember them. I have a few people now that have died on my Facebook friends list, for example, and people post on there wall. Anyway your idea is a good one...
Captain
# 63
04-07-2013, 02:49 AM
A shrine to Kahless in a KDF starbase is a good idea.

The federation ones are not so faithful, nor do they got a hero like him... maybe a Shrine of Kirk ?
Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
Captain
# 64
04-07-2013, 02:58 AM
Maybe a generic place of meditation would work.

Nothing that highlights or aligns itself to a particular faith or deity, just a nice bright comfortable space that people could chill out in.

As a fleet project it'll be no worse than paying 200k for leaves on columns, and this place might actually see some use.
Tion Sorahn - Federation Engineer
- - - - -
STB Channel Member
- - - - -
"Something everyone always forgets, all grind is optional"
Empire Veteran
# 65
04-07-2013, 03:56 AM
I did say non denominational. Which would mean no symbols of any kind.

I said it in my original post. So why people are thinking it would be this or that religion can only be people not reading, not comprehending or blind to their own fervor/flavor.

Some people have said use the holodeck. That's completely fine. They even have those rooms set aside. Now what would be nice is if they were actually interactable. Of course it would take up way too much resources to make an actual holodeck. But here's an idea. How about an interact panel that changes just the scene. They could design a couple of memorable scenes that with the interact would change at your whim. It could be instanced.

I kinda liked that scene in TNG where Wesley used the holodeck when he was with that metamorph girl and they were standing on floating rocks and the whatsit aligned and created a tonal music.
Captain
# 66
04-07-2013, 04:20 AM
Danger, religious nutboys detected, raise shields arm all weapons.

Woowoo jocks off the starboard bow prepare to engage...

Religeon has no place in the Trek universe, more accurately the Federation that got over their love of the wibbly wobbly brigade. Let the Vulcans have their Surak, Klingons, Kaless and the Bajorans their Prophets but keep the Feds out of it.

Last thing I want it someone preaching to me how to live my life, I find that offensive.

Keep religeon well out of Trek, keep it out of STO.
Monkey see, Monkey do. Monkey flings Feathered Monkey poo...

Last edited by rustiswordz; 04-07-2013 at 04:28 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 67
04-07-2013, 04:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
Because time and time again Starfleet has shown they respect any and all types of religious beliefs
Oh really? See how bajorans are considered by Starfleet. Sisko's conversion is the most stupid thing in Star Trek. And it's just an incident. Most Starfleet people still think believers are people from middle age or even stone age. And even Bajorans are often depicted as simple minded believers or just self-important morons.

Quote:
Brannon Braga said that "In Gene Roddenberry's imagining of the future [...] religion is completely gone. Not a single human being on Earth believes in any of the nonsense that has plagued our civilization for thousands of years. This was an important part of Roddenberry's mythology. He, himself, was a secular humanist and made it well-known to writers of Star Trek and Star Trek: The Next Generation that religion and superstition and mystical thinking were not to be part of his universe. On Roddenberry's future Earth, everyone is an atheist. And that world is the better for it."
I think he's a little soft here. Religion is worst than a "plague". You can eradicate a plague. Religion is more similar to a mental sickness, when you're ill, it's for life. That's why Star Trek is just fiction: an atheist future looks like an ideal world but it's not going to happen.

Last edited by diogene0; 04-07-2013 at 04:26 AM.
Republic Veteran
# 68
04-07-2013, 05:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
With all due respect for whatever befalls people in real life... I really hate to see something that IRL is so damaging to relations between people, make it into a game.

So we get a chapel... Next people demand is a mosque... Then a sacrificial chamber for those who still belive in norse myth... then a temple in the mountains... then... well I could go on.

And they would be in their right to do so, since this game is supposedly aimed at all people, not just people believing in the bible.

No... real religions should never be represented in a MMO.
I notice when you post you like to use the slippery slope argument a lot.

Slippery slope is a logical fallacy in that one thing doesn't have to or isn't pre-destined to lead to another.

Your slippery slope arguments are especially hyperbolic. Adding a chapel space, like was seen on TOS, and was done with a redress of Ten Forward on several occasions for weddings, leading to human sacrifice in STO is more than a bit far fetched.

These spaces have not been religious on the show, but did provide an important setting. Since we cannot "redress" our ships lounge or any other public space to serve such a purpose, it seem pretty appropriate to ask for a space like was seen on the shows to use for such a function.
Republic Veteran
# 69
04-07-2013, 05:39 AM
Geez, some of you are acting more bigoted than the people you are calling bigots. Grow up and smoke a little IDIC once in a while. Calling groups of people closed minded while insulting them is a little backwards in it's own way.

The Federation tolerates all religion, and in the future one can only hope that all religions have come to a point where they peacefully coexist on Earth.

Most airports in the US have a room designated as a "chapel." If you go in it, it kind of looks like a church with rows of chairs and a lecturn. But that's about it. No symbology or even writing on the walls. Maybe some open windows with a view. That's all the OP is asking for and I am fine with that.
www.9thfleet.com
Captain
# 70
04-07-2013, 06:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladdie View Post
Geez, some of you are acting more bigoted than the people you are calling bigots. Grow up and smoke a little IDIC once in a while. Calling groups of people closed minded while insulting them is a little backwards in it's own way.

The Federation tolerates all religion, and in the future one can only hope that all religions have come to a point where they peacefully coexist on Earth.

Most airports in the US have a room designated as a "chapel." If you go in it, it kind of looks like a church with rows of chairs and a lecturn. But that's about it. No symbology or even writing on the walls. Maybe some open windows with a view. That's all the OP is asking for and I am fine with that.
I'm not from Planet America, stop confusing it with Planet Earth. As for bigots I refer the millions who have died throughout history who have perished at the hands of so called 'religion'. Men women children the old the infirm. Millions massacred. Thousands still die even today all religion is inherently evil, divisive, cruel and misleading.

Chapels in airports, I find that amusing, praying to the almighty in case the engines give out. Maybe thats why gamers want them in spacedock, warpcores may give out.
Monkey see, Monkey do. Monkey flings Feathered Monkey poo...
Closed Thread