Republic Veteran
# 1 Romulan Choice.
04-07-2013, 06:54 AM
I really hope that this isnt a simple pop-up that you get when you hit level ten. and basically "Do you want to liaison with the FED's, or the KDF?"

I hope its a large mission, maybe even one that might require teaming. an idea i came up with was something like this.

The alliance creation would have dignitaries and big wigs from all the sides (maybe even admiral quinn and J'mpok) at a small world in romulan space. mainly because they didn't want to have it on new romulus for security reasons. anyway your character is supposed to help out with security. when arriving at the system you'd run into fed and kdf fleets (maybe even using lesser used ships, like the gorn, nausican, caitian, andorian, etc ships just to make things more different) these fleets would be lead by the enterprise and Botasqu' to show that both sides are taking this rather seriously.

Once on the ground the mission would be about d'tan negotiation with both sides and the Fed/KDF diplomats explaining why their side would be better than the other, when that's done until you trigger the next phase of the mission you could walk around and talk to other diplomats and such getting their opinions on things, maybe even have shon and the Bortasqu' captain there and throw in their own military opinions.

The next part of the mission would be the conference being attacked. With this many members of the KDF and Federation higher-ups in one place, this would be a good opportunity for the undine to attack and try and replace several of these people. during repelling the ground attack you can interact with the famous npcs, with j'mpok and quinn possibly being the rallying area for the two sides, and learning that undine hsips are inbound but the captains of the enterprise and bortasqu aren't responding and you have to find them (maybe even make it optional, if you don't find them, you don't get the support of the Enterprise or Bortasqu in the space portion). once the ground attack is repelled you'd beam upto your ship.

In the space portion you'd run into the fed/kdf and romulan security ships fighting off the undine ships. during the fight the fleets are decimated, leaving the flagships of the fleets, and your character as the lone survivors. so if you didn't help the enterprise or Bortasqu crews out on the ground, it would just be you and a scimitar or D'deridex.

Though when you think the missions over, you get interrupted by a Tal Shiar fleet dropping out of warp and taking advantage of the situation and tries to stop the alliance and take out the leadership of the fledgeling republic. for plot reasons the three flagships get taken out (scimitar can implode, the other two escape after taking heavy damage) and its jsut you to hold the fleet off until reinforcements (in the form of a combined fed/kdf fleet) can arrive.

when the fightings over, both sides praise you for your actions and would willingly accept you as an ally. then the player makes their choice, thus ending the mission.

I feel such a mission would help explain with in game reasons as to why certain things are happening the way they are.

After all, it could be believed that those romulan ships that were destroyed by the Tal'Shiar/Undine were a majority of the romulans ships (aside maybe the new romulus defense fleet) which could explain the need for aid and why they might be allowed to use their allies ships, after all the ships would be needed to help bolster their military strength which is rather lacking at the moment.
Joined Sept 09.

Curse you Archived Post.... you stole all my Ideas.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-07-2013, 07:06 AM
Good idea (if perhaps a bit of a stretch with all the antagonists piling on), but I think we'll be lucky to get more than just a red button and a blue button out of Cryptic.

I expect it's most likely to be a choice under fire, which side to beg for help in a contrived hopeless situation.
SQUIRREL!
-----------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Sarcastic Venom Award!!!!
Bitter old mollusc since before the forum change.
Republic Veteran
# 3
04-07-2013, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
I think we'll be lucky to get more than just a red button and a blue button out of Cryptic.

I expect it's most likely to be a choice under fire, which side to beg for help in a contrived hopeless situation.
yes i know. im just saying i wish we could get the choice through a mission and such, rather than just a popup with a "join fed" or "join kdf"
Joined Sept 09.

Captain
# 4
04-07-2013, 07:15 AM
Not much chance of this happening, but I'd rather a sort of reputation system that gets filled out as you go; so rather than just picking one, the side you ally with depends on what you had been doing up until that point. If the events that grant reputation themselves involved a choice of whether to back the Feds or KDF in that particular situation, then it would take some real careful planning to end up with equal rep for both factions.

Becoming a liaison with a faction would be sort of a promotion, based on your ever-so-valuable support for them thus far. It would make it feel like a fairly natural step for your character; just another chapter in his or her personal story.
Exploration suggestions thread - give it a read

BTW, you'd pronounce it 'Cap'n Manks'

I protest the removal of exploration clusters
Career Officer
# 5
04-07-2013, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnmanx View Post
Not much chance of this happening, but I'd rather a sort of reputation system that gets filled out as you go; so rather than just picking one, the side you ally with depends on what you had been doing up until that point. If the events that grant reputation themselves involved a choice of whether to back the Feds or KDF in that particular situation, then it would take some real careful planning to end up with equal rep for both factions.

Becoming a liaison with a faction would be sort of a promotion, based on your ever-so-valuable support for them thus far. It would make it feel like a fairly natural step for your character; just another chapter in his or her personal story.
That's a very creative idea, but then you either have to choose between reputation choices that you want or choices that are likely to put you in the faction you want to be in. Don't misunderstand me, I think the idea has merit. But since I'm forced to ally with one of the pre existing factions, it's better that I can get the rep choices I want to buff my toon and ally with the faction my fleet belongs to.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-07-2013, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkari View Post
I really hope that this isnt a simple pop-up that you get when you hit level ten. and basically "Do you want to liaison with the FED's, or the KDF?"

I hope its a large mission, maybe even one that might require teaming. an idea i came up with was something like this.
I hope for a mission, but if I may be honest, one that might require teaming would be a no - after all you need to make the choice to get the rest of the missions (as well as large portions of other game-content), so it's not like you can just skip the mission as you can with other missions if you get stuck on them, which rather increases the annoyance of being stuck on a mission because you can't find anyone willing to team up with you (or, alternatively, are just a solitary player by nature).
Republic Veteran
# 7
04-07-2013, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordinsane View Post
I hope for a mission, but if I may be honest, one that might require teaming would be a no - after all you need to make the choice to get the rest of the missions (as well as large portions of other game-content), so it's not like you can just skip the mission as you can with other missions if you get stuck on them, which rather increases the annoyance of being stuck on a mission because you can't find anyone willing to team up with you (or, alternatively, are just a solitary player by nature).
and that is why i said a "maybe"

hell, if they did the mission well enough, could technically make a level 50 version and make it an STF Styyle mission on the harder version. just have to tweak it a bit so that it doesnt trigger the faction based choice so people dont use it to swap factions.

also, the original (not STF style one should they decide to make one) would be un repeatable and if you group with someone doing it again, you dont get the choice popup so you cant switch factions.
Joined Sept 09.

Career Officer
# 8
04-07-2013, 09:47 AM
Lets just wish and just maybe.....no it's going to be a button and a welcome to the Fed/KDF love letter.

Last edited by harveyclone; 04-07-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-07-2013, 12:16 PM
I hope it's just a button myself.

Stupid one-quarter fractions pretending to be factions shouldn't get any missions.
Career Officer
# 10
04-07-2013, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordinsane View Post
WoW has a quest that requires teaming and has you choose between two NPC factions, based on which NPC you attack.

Granted, it's repeatable.

I am curious if Romulans can re-select which side they choose and, if so, what that does to ships or BOs claimed.