Career Officer
# 21 The truth about Bat'leth's
04-07-2013, 03:33 PM
Ironically, it was established in canon that any Klingon who uses a bat'leth is a fool.

They carry a big weapon for intimidation factor and not practicality.

There have been examples where Worf defeated Klingons with a bat'leth using a mek'leth, a weapon 1/4 the size of a bat'leth.

In the best example, he got the mek'leth inside the bat'leth, twisted a certain way and snapped the bat'leth in half!

So even if it is the iconic Klingon weapon, it's still not a good idea to use one.

Theorectical example:

My Starfleet officer is a swordmaster, they fight one handed.
Technically, they're a ninja, skilled in unarmed and one handed blade fighting.

If they saw a Klingon charging at them with a bat'leth, they'd just drop to a fighting crouch, straightarm the sword and impale them through the stomach and spine when they raise the bat'leth to strike.

Even with highly resistant Klingon anatomy, that's going to disable them pretty fast!

And then all you'd have to do is grab the head and twist to one side while they flop around on the floor trying to stand up.
Career Officer
# 22
04-07-2013, 03:46 PM
Personally I think it's ridiculous that we have access to a non-canon weapon ostensibly from the Delta Quadrant yet the ubiquitous D'k tahg is unavailable to Klingon warriors.

Also I've been begging for a Mek'leth since I started playing. I want one more than just anything.

"The Snowmenz Are Coming! The Snowmenz Are Coming!!"

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Commander
# 23
04-07-2013, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingmaster View Post
Real warriors don't need to remodulate against Borg
No, they're too busy chasing it down after it got blasted out of bat'leth range by someone with a pulsewave.
Commander
# 24
04-07-2013, 07:30 PM
Quote:
Ironically, it was established in canon that any Klingon who uses a bat'leth is a fool.

They carry a big weapon for intimidation factor and not practicality.
Uhhh.....What? Nothing of the sort was established. I don't think I can name a single klingon episode involving combat that didn't have them using it in combat

Quote:
There have been examples where Worf defeated Klingons with a bat'leth using a mek'leth, a weapon 1/4 the size of a bat'leth.

In the best example, he got the mek'leth inside the bat'leth, twisted a certain way and snapped the bat'leth in half!
Most weapons have some kind of counter devised for them. Pikes were developed to break cavalry charges, that doesn't mean mounted knights were fools to ride horses

Quote:
Personally I think it's ridiculous that we have access to a non-canon weapon ostensibly from the Delta Quadrant yet the ubiquitous D'k tahg is unavailable to Klingon warriors.
Yeah that is more than a little odd

Quote:
Real warriors don't need to remodulate against Borg
Rumor has it the borg have to remodulate their own weapons when chuck norris turns up on a cube
Ensign
# 25
04-07-2013, 10:05 PM
would give ANYTHING for a D'k tahg
Captain
# 26
04-07-2013, 10:08 PM
I'm thinking Tomahawk.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
Career Officer
# 27
04-07-2013, 10:31 PM
They haven't given us any new types of melee weapons because doing so would require them to create a new set of animations. It's a lot of work for little profit, which usually means it won't get done by Cryptic. The only new weapons they'll make are those that can use the existing artwork, like the Tholian sword.

However, if they're to make any melee weapons for Romulans, the most logical choice would be a dagger. And if they do that, they'll be able to copy those new animations over to a d'k'tahg, too. So there's hope.
Ensign
# 28
04-07-2013, 11:08 PM
Sweeping Strikes iii, at least for me, does way more damage than a sword or batleth. I do 207 AoE damage per hit, no buffs,and it hits just as fast as a bat'leth. But again, this skill all depends on individual abilities such as traits, and because my character is geared toward melee damage, It is unlikely that you will be able to squeeze as much damage out of it as I could. It renders all melee weapons irrelevant.

Last edited by leonidas423; 04-07-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Career Officer
# 29
04-07-2013, 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonidas423 View Post
Sweeping Strikes iii, at least for me, does way more damage than a sword or batleth. I do 207 AoE damage per hit, no buffs,and it hits just as fast as a bat'leth. But again, this skill all depends on individual abilities such as traits, and because my character is geared toward melee damage, It is unlikely that you will be able to squeeze as much damage out of it as I could. It renders all melee weapons irrelevant.
That's a sad thing tbh... I use a lot of melee attacks against borg in Defera, I hate remodulating weapons. I have the Close combat kit on a vulcan with the skills to back it up, I do admit sweeping strike is very powerful but rather boring to just spam the key. I still like doing a swill with my lirpa, which still have the effect to knock a group down and expose a few in the process.

At the end, I will be one of the melee fighter who will call for a sweeping strike nerf and balance it toward the blade damage.... Then bring the D'k tahg and/or mek'leth.

SERVER NOT RESPONDING (1701s)
Ensign
# 30
04-07-2013, 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshirtthefirst View Post
That's a sad thing tbh... I use a lot of melee attacks against borg in Defera, I hate remodulating weapons. I have the Close combat kit on a vulcan with the skills to back it up, I do admit sweeping strike is very powerful but rather boring to just spam the key. I still like doing a swill with my lirpa, which still have the effect to knock a group down and expose a few in the process.

At the end, I will be one of the melee fighter who will call for a sweeping strike nerf and balance it toward the blade damage.... Then bring the D'k tahg and/or mek'leth.
I concur, unarmed combat should not do three times the damage of a sword, that is like saying that Bruce Lee would be less deadly if you have him a weapon.