Captain
Like the title says. I'm sat here watching the film, and just noticed:

When the saucer gets destroyed by the shockwave, there's a bunch of little people running around on top. I've never noticed those little people before, but holy moly, that's a nice detail.

In kirk's house in the Nexus, there's a little picture of the original series Enterprise on the kitchen wall. But just above that picture is something that got me really wondering.

He has a Bat'leth on the wall. And I'm wondering just why the hell Kirk, someone who hates Klingons has their signature weapon framed and mounted in his cabin? Ok, he got over it abit in Undiscovered Country, but still. And it is in what looks to be a weapon collection on the wall, but it strikes me as something a little strange having that prop of all things in there.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
04-07-2013, 09:20 AM
Try watching Generations on Bluray, It's beautiful.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-07-2013, 10:55 AM
Maybe he took the Bat'leth as a trophy because it's in bad taste to mount a stuffed Klingon head on the wall.

The disconnect for me is that, in my mind, the Bat'leth is a very TNG item. They of course existed prior to the 24th century, even if they weren't shown on screen (I don't remember seeing them in any of the TOS movies; did they appear on Enterprise at all either?) but it just feels weird to me that a TOS character would have one hanging on his wall.
---
Relax.
Captain
# 4
04-07-2013, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by delsaberedux View Post
Maybe he took the Bat'leth as a trophy because it's in bad taste to mount a stuffed Klingon head on the wall.

The disconnect for me is that, in my mind, the Bat'leth is a very TNG item. They of course existed prior to the 24th century, even if they weren't shown on screen (I don't remember seeing them in any of the TOS movies; did they appear on Enterprise at all either?) but it just feels weird to me that a TOS character would have one hanging on his wall.
Especially one whos son was killed by a Klingon... I never understood that either...

But yes, bat'leths were seen in Enterprise
Empire Veteran
# 5
04-07-2013, 11:23 AM
I know a lot of war veterans who somewhere in their home have weapons or insignia from the enemy that they fought against. In fact, to be more precise, I have known several World War II veterans who fought in the Pacific who had Japanese swords that they brought back with them. A couple had them on display. And it wasn't because they had suddenly developed a love for Japanese culture, it was more a reminder of the war. I interpreted Kirk's Bat'leth in the same way. Also, going all the way to Wrath of Khan, Kirk was shown to be a guy who collected antique weapons.

Starfleet Veteran
# 6
04-07-2013, 12:50 PM
Well in WWII Allied soldiers, after fighting Axis soldiers, would go through the dead and take insignia, medals, and weapons as souvenirs. They would all very much hate the Axis powers, but would happily take a swastika medallion as a memento of the battle they fought. It's something they could pull out of a box decades later and show their grand kids. Just like my own grandfather did. He served in India, but traded some stuff with another soldier who served in Europe for a little swastika pin that he brought back home.

That Bat'leth on Kirk's wall might be similar to a luger pistol taken by an Allied soldier in WWII. Lugers in particular were highly coveted as a war trophy.
Career Officer
# 7
04-07-2013, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliescot25 View Post
Try watching Generations on Bluray, It's beautiful.
And "funny Data" is even more painful to watch. No thanks.
Career Officer
# 8
04-07-2013, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamiyama317 View Post
Well in WWII Allied soldiers, after fighting Axis soldiers, would go through the dead and take insignia, medals, and weapons as souvenirs. They would all very much hate the Axis powers, but would happily take a swastika medallion as a memento of the battle they fought. It's something they could pull out of a box decades later and show their grand kids. Just like my own grandfather did. He served in India, but traded some stuff with another soldier who served in Europe for a little swastika pin that he brought back home.

That Bat'leth on Kirk's wall might be similar to a luger pistol taken by an Allied soldier in WWII. Lugers in particular were highly coveted as a war trophy.
One of my grandfather spent WWII on Guadalcanal - six months fighting the Japanese, eighteen fighting malaria. He brought back an Arisaka Type 38 rifle.

My other grandfather was in the Seabees building airfields all over the Pacific. He was at one point captured by the Japanese and spent three months in a POW camp. He collected Japanese knives and swords and had them on display all over his house. For my thirteenth birthday he gave me a particularly fine engraved katana that belonged to a Daisa (Captain) in the Imperial Navy.
Captain
# 9
04-08-2013, 02:00 PM
I remember kirk being a collector of antique weapons from Khan, which is why I thought it was a nice touch. And there is also a knife in there, so there are some blades.

I never thought of it as a war trophy he took from a battle. I guess if it was a pretty memorable/important battle, it would make sense.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'