Lt. Commander
# 1 Why 20 hours?
04-08-2013, 07:47 PM
The reputation system. Who's idea was it to put 20 hour timers on that crap?

My romulan rep is t0 and my borg rep is t2, after all this time. Why? I log in. I grind out the requirements in a couple minutes for whatever the three tasks are. I start the thing. And then... I gotta wait 20 hours. What does that make me do? It makes me log off to go do other things "while I wait".

And that's what's confusing to me. Why would they design something to make people want to log OUT, instead of wanting to stay IN?

While I'm sure some people have had success with it, I was getting much better results progressing back when I could sit down on a Saturday and go on an 8 hour STF marathon, even with low drop rates.
Captain
# 2
04-08-2013, 07:51 PM
The goal is to do your Rep event and then go and do other things in the game. The goal is not just to have people power-grind through 1 event. If they allowed it people would be done in a day or two and then have nothing else to work toward.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-08-2013, 07:57 PM
While that's true, there must have been a better way to do it than 20 hour timers.
Career Officer
# 4
04-08-2013, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qqafgqegqe4ag View Post
While that's true, there must have been a better way to do it than 20 hour timers.
The alternative would probably be letting you do it once a day with an availability reset at a certain time.
Republic Veteran
# 5
04-08-2013, 08:01 PM
Ok 40 Hours done enjoy

The Following signature is not endorsed by the Dukat administration, and Down with Bajor Party

Last edited by neoakiraii; 04-08-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Captain
# 6
04-08-2013, 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qqafgqegqe4ag View Post
The reputation system. Who's idea was it to put 20 hour timers on that crap?
Don't be so ungrateful. It used to be 40 hours.
Career Officer
# 7
04-08-2013, 08:04 PM
Personally, I don't really have a problem with the amount of time it takes, I found it more frustrating that the system works out to click a bunch, wait a day. It was somewhat less then thrilling.

I would have likely gotten more enjoyment out of it if there were shorter assignments that took less resources and returned less points, and then long ones you could set at the end of the day for a little extra while you slept or worked. The whole thing felt anti-climatic, a bit of busy work at the start of each day.
I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!

Vice Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
Career Officer
# 8
04-08-2013, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmym View Post
Personally, I don't really have a problem with the amount of time it takes, I found it more frustrating that the system works out to click a bunch, wait a day. It was somewhat less then thrilling.
The Thrill comes from the content that gives you marks.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-08-2013, 08:10 PM
WoW had a weekly cap on the points you could earn if I remember their system right. No timers at all. While I did cancel WoW (more than once), it wasn't because of the endgame grind (until the most recent expansion).

Alternatively, instead of only five tiers that require tens of thousands of points, what if there were sub-levels of those tiers that required far less points? I'd rather take 20 little steps with 1 hour timers than 1 big step with a 20 hour timer.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-08-2013, 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmym View Post

I would have likely gotten more enjoyment out of it if there were shorter assignments that took less resources and returned less points, and then long ones you could set at the end of the day for a little extra while you slept or worked. The whole thing felt anti-climatic, a bit of busy work at the start of each day.
Exactly what I'm saying.