Captain
# 21
04-08-2013, 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
At a certain point, it's going to be impossible to keep it all going on more than a small handful of toons...
STO doesn't build it's projects like a Subscription game. It thinks like a FTP game, where the vast majority of players don't have 15 alts.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Captain
# 22
04-08-2013, 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
STO doesn't build it's projects like a Subscription game. It thinks like a FTP game, where the vast majority of players don't have 15 alts.
Yeah, but it's kind of rough, meh. I've got 8 toons already. With the Romulans, am I looking at 2 more? 4 more? 6 more? Had they been a separate faction, would have likely been 4 more...

I think about the game the gf plays - no factions, no careers - so yep, she just runs her one toon and does all the little project things.

STO though?

Tac, Eng, Sci
KDF, Fed
Now we're looking at K-Rom and F-Rom?
Commander
# 23
04-08-2013, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectfrontier View Post
MMO's do not need time-sinks. MMO's need content that rewards and motivates players to participate. World of ******** has a lot of "daily reptuation" activities - they represent the opposite end of the "reptuation" spectrum. But at least they got the whole "shooting bad guys gives reputation" part right.
The grand irony here is that prior to WotLK, WoW's reputation system itself served as a content gate proper and not merely a gear access gate...which was implemented partly in response to complaints about lengthy, tedious attunement quests. Then, later built into a fully-fledged gear rewards system in response to players' complaints regarding randomized loot drops and competition with other players for loot, leading to the situation in which it could take players months before seeing a single piece of new gear.

Which, WoW isn't even the "opposite end" of that spectrum. Everquest was, which for the first few years of its existence lacked proper quest content altogether, had a reputation system that was a hard content gate, and no way to build reputation save mob grinding and random drop turn-ins.
Captain
# 24
04-08-2013, 09:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qqafgqegqe4ag View Post
The reputation system. Who's idea was it to put 20 hour timers on that crap?

My romulan rep is t0 and my borg rep is t2, after all this time. Why? I log in. I grind out the requirements in a couple minutes for whatever the three tasks are. I start the thing. And then... I gotta wait 20 hours. What does that make me do? It makes me log off to go do other things "while I wait".

And that's what's confusing to me. Why would they design something to make people want to log OUT, instead of wanting to stay IN?

While I'm sure some people have had success with it, I was getting much better results progressing back when I could sit down on a Saturday and go on an 8 hour STF marathon, even with low drop rates.
It's to get you to slow your roll, homie.
Lieutenant
# 25
04-08-2013, 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atatassault View Post
The Thrill comes from the content that gives you marks.
Then we have a problem here, since playing the same content we've had for three years has kinda stopped being thrilling.
Career Officer
# 26
04-08-2013, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
Ok 40 Hours done enjoy
hahahahahahaha
look for me in game as "Admiral Quinn" yeah that admiral quinn..and while your at it get off muh station!!!
Career Officer
# 27
04-08-2013, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaador View Post
Then we have a problem here, since playing the same content we've had for three years has kinda stopped being thrilling.
Well, you don't have to do anything that much.

But MMOs generally aren't built around the idea of you doing anything less than 20-30 times.

In that respect, they're more like Street Fighter than a pure RPG because they're a tight budget product.

You don't stop playing Guile's level in SFII after you beat it once even if it is mechanically a LOT like Blanka's level.
Career Officer
# 28
04-08-2013, 11:06 PM
Also, enough stuff awards Rom marks that you could probably get 2 tiers into the rep without repeating anything.

And if you just repeat Epohh breeding, you just need five minutes a day for something like four weeks.

The repetition mainly comes in if you want all the gear.
Career Officer
# 29
04-08-2013, 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
Pretty much this, eh?

New Rom Rep.
Omega Rep.
Tholian Rep.
Event Rep.
X Rep.
Y Rep.
Z Rep.

At a certain point, it's going to be impossible to keep it all going on more than a small handful of toons...
I think most of us are there already. My main has both available reps maxed out, my next closest alt is about halfway done, the next alt is just barely out of t1 on both. I can already tell this is an upward climb I will not keep up with on alts on anything like a decent pace.

If only the Rom Rep had a few STFs you could pew pew through, instead its allmost all busywork! The one remotely interesting thing, the Tau Dewa sector Red Alert usually bugs out on top of being random! If the Upcoming reps are like the ROm rep instead of like Omega I think the rep system will be even less appealing than it is now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorceror01 View Post
....you are a bad starship captain and you should feel bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tachyonharmonic View Post
However, I think with regard to the Romulan Republic player characters/npcs, it all comes down to a finite point:

These are not the Romulans from the shows.
Career Officer
# 30
04-08-2013, 11:24 PM
Actually, I like it being 20 hours instead of 24 per say... kind of "rotate" the system across the World so to speak, it's not gonna fall always at 2am in the middle of Europe per say...

SERVER NOT RESPONDING (1701s)